1/32 Italeri Mirage IIIE and Cheetah E

Renegade

On 6/25/2019 at 9:01 PM, crobinsonh said:

Lovely detailing

Thanks crobinsonh :)

The next part that required some attention, was the cockpit bulkhead. Very little information or photos are available on the Mirage IIIEZ, and none were preserved in any SAAF museums. As far as I know, the entire IIIEZ fleet were upgraded to Cheetah E standard. So, I opted for the next most likely option that I could access, a Mirage IIIR2Z at Air Force Base Ysterplaat. After completing the bulkhead, I received some information from a former Mirage IIIEZ pilot. The IIIR2Z bulkhead was not the right choice, but luckily the work done won't go to waste, and will be useful for the IIIR2Z and IIIRZ. The bulkhead is in fact very similar to the kit part, but a couple of details were added.

Here's the correct bulkhead on the right.

veMuvx.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Renegade
Missing text.

Hi guys,

Next I would like to tackle the tail fin, but can only get to museum on Saturday to take accurate measurements on the Mirage IIIR2Z. In the meantime, work started on reshaping the JL-100 rocket pod cones. The ones in the kit are way too pointy, and maybe more fitting for one of Madonna's costumes from back in the day... :lol:

Here's a picture the progress made on it so far.

2Usm1l.jpg

Cheers

Well, this sucks... The Jl-100 pods seem to be about 2.8mm too small in diameter. Then there's the blast vents for the rocket pod, only three instead of six. Which means they'll be oversized as well :deadhorse:

X5HBwL.jpg

This is most certainly not a fixer upper, but a new set will have to be scratch built.  :frantic:

Note that the inboard blast vent has a cover facing rearwards.

qoFTX5.jpg

Cheers

Hi John 

here is the dimensions of the pylon. The JL-100 uses the some pylon as the 1300 liter tank but I think the extension on the pylon rear is only on the tank and not the JL-100. Dimensions in cm measured on the full size tank.

IMG-1166.jpg

Here is the correct dimensions for the tank.

IMG-1167.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

So, the trip to Ysterplaat Air Force Base Museum was fun. Measuring the Mirage IIIR2Z tail fin confirmed my suspicion of the rudder issue. The angle of the rudder hinge line on the kit is not correct, and the bottom of the rudder is too high up. First the rudder actuator fairing was removed, as it needs correction too.Then I glued the rudder in place, making it easier to mark the new lines. The resized rudder was then cut out, and filling done with Tamiya putty. Here's a picture of the original tail fin, and the progress on the corrected one below it.

8GPWyD.jpg

Cheers

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Hello  Renegade .

:post1:

How lovely  to see your build.

AWESOME start and your work makes ME think you are a methodical modeler.

:goodjob:  :wow:

Will be following with interest and this is looking real NICE.

Thank you and Enjoy the Madhouse we Call LSP.  Great bunch of people here.  :popcorn:

:thumbsup:

Hi MARU5137 for the warm welcome and kind words :)

The basic shape for the replacement JL-100 rocket pods have been lathed with the kind assistance of Jonathan from "Battlebirds Models", as I don't have the right equipment for turning goodies this size.

Once I have refined it, I'll make resin copies and start adding the finer details.

w9ltA8.jpg

Cheers

hi

damned !! can't believe that the kit pylon is so undersized ....... very good job so far , I like the seat ... I 've built four Italieri Mirage , but I never fixed the rudder , too much work for so "tiny " details ....but , it's my opinion 

Alain