1/24 scale P-51D Mustang upper cowling for Airfix is now available.

Model_Monkey

Happy to announce an accurately shaped and detailed 1/24 scale P-51D Mustang upper cowling is now available for your Airfix kits. This model replaces the Airfix's kit's inaccurately shaped upper cowling parts. 

The cowling is 3D-printed in gray resin.  It was designed from original North American Aviation blueprints ensuring an accurate shape and detailing.

file.php?id=117790&mode=view

file.php?id=117791&mode=view

file.php?id=117792&mode=view

file.php?id=117793&mode=view

file.php?id=117795&mode=view

file.php?id=117796&mode=view

file.php?id=117797&mode=view

file.php?id=117798&mode=view

file.php?id=117799&mode=view

Thank you, it looks beautiful! That is exciting news and saves hours of work! I'll be ordering a package of 1/24 Airfix Mustang items shortly.

Apart from the wheel wells, anything else on the drawing board for that kit that you can mention?

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

On 6/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, R Palimaka said:

Thank you, it looks beautiful! That is exciting news and saves hours of work! I'll be ordering a package of 1/24 Airfix Mustang items shortly.

Apart from the wheel wells, anything else on the drawing board for that kit that you can mention?

Richard

Thanks, Brian, D, and Richard!

Hollow exhausts, an accurate Warren-McArthur seat together with armored bulkhead and accurate head rest, SCR-522-A radio (known as a TR.5043 in RAF, RCAF, RAAF, RNZAF and RSAAF service), and BC-602-B radio frequency control box are also available.  Some Mustangs in RAF and Commonwealth service may have been fit with a TR.1133 radio.  If your references so indicate, a 1/24 scale TR.1133 is available, too. 

If interested, I can re-scale 1/32 scale 75 gallon drop tanks in the catalog to 1/24 scale. 

Recommendations for other products gladly considered.

file.php?id=118063&mode=view

file.php?id=118064&mode=view

file.php?id=118057&mode=view

file.php?id=118062&mode=view

file.php?id=118060&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey
Added photos.

10 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

If interested, I can re-scale 1/32 scale 75 gallon drop tanks in the catalog to 1/24 scale. 

Recommendations for other products gladly considered.

The drop tanks would be a great idea, and maybe some 108 gallon paper tanks.

Other replacement items that would make a big difference would be the landing gear covers, and the inner clamshell doors, a Schick-Johnson seat, SCR-695 set, corrected cockpit floor and rudder pedals, K-14 gunsight. The Airscale instrument panel is brilliant so that is taken care of, but the rest of the cockpit could use some help, although that could get complicated deciding on which block number/time period to do.

All that being said, you are already covering the most important and difficult areas of concern with the kit; the nose contour and the wheel well and wing spar. You've also done the exhaust and shroud which will be a great improvement. The gear legs are the other major problem, but that would have to be in metal of some sort.

From the long list of items above I think the gear doors and clamshell doors, Schick-Johnson seat and maybe the gunsight might be good items to consider. The rest could be taken care of with some modelling and scratch building.

Thank you so much for paying some attention to this kit! It really is miles ahead of the Trumpeter version even though the molds are approaching 50 years old. I've been slowly struggling with one, but your parts will make the next one so much easier and faster. And there will be another one started because of that.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 3 years later...

Thanks so much for the compliments and your patronage!

I hope to offer gear doors, too.  The project queue is fully loaded for the foreseeable future so no telling when the doors will be complete.

Regarding a canopy set, the technology we use is not suitable for clear parts. Hopefully, another vendor will accept that project.

Thanks again!