Ikea "Milsbo" display case?

30 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

But British aircraft use weird measurements like a 2BA wrench....what the hell size is a bolt/nut that requires a 2BA wrench? :wicked: It ain't metric and it sure as hell ain't inches...  Damn BAE Jet streams.... Hawker-Siddeley HS125's are just as bad....weeping wings suck!  Well, at least the majority of the fasteners on British aircraft are in inches or fractions thereof.

When i worked on Tornado GR1/4A the measurements, nuts, bolts and tools were metric. The older jets such as JP5, VC10 and Nimrod were imperial. 

Guest DeanKB
1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The very first time I ever drove the UK all the signs were in metric.  A long while later they had all reverted back to miles.  America is too stupid and "exceptional" to go with the rest of the world.  

I've lived in the UK 51 years, I missed the time he all the road signs were in metric? 

Guest DeanKB
1 hour ago, AlanG said:

I think you'll find that us 'silly English' people adopted the metric system way back in 1965. The only standard imperial system we tend to use is for vehicle data such as miles and speed. :whistle:

Not to mention that some of us silly English are, in fact, not even English!

I'm silly Welsh, & I think Alan might be silly Scottish?

I'm metric. Except a person's height, which must be in feet and inches. 

And a person's weight, which must be in stone's & pounds.

And road distance, which must be in miles.

And car mileage, must be in miles per gallon - which is really strange, since petrol is sold by the litre. When Americans see UK petrol prices, they understand why nobody buys American cars over here.

But I'm metric now.

I've even gone so far as to buy a measuring tape that only has metric units on it.

Here's my Detolf with the shelf mod.

IMG_20190608_154830-L.jpg

I used plexiglass for the additional shelves as that was cheaper than getting tempered glass. 

These are the wire anchors I use to hold the shelves up. 

IMG_20190608_154848-L.jpg

I bought mine off eBay as they seemed to be the cheapest option. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153228367013

There's also a mod where you make your own base and top and Siamese two of them together, leaving out the glass in the centre.  This is supposed to give enough room for three Spitfires per shelf. You'd need a router for this. I'm planning to do this later this summer hopefully. 

Carl

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Here's my Detolf with the shelf mod.

I used plexiglass for the additional shelves as that was cheaper than getting tempered glass. 

These are the wire anchors I use to hold the shelves up. 

IMG_20190608_154848-L.jpg

I bought mine off eBay as they seemed to be the cheapest option. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153228367013

There's also a mod where you make your own base and top and Siamese two of them together, leaving out the glass in the centre.  This is supposed to give enough room for three Spitfires per shelf. You'd need a router for this. I'm planning to do this later this summer hopefully. 

Carl

Great idea!

5 hours ago, Juggernut said:

But British aircraft use weird measurements like a 2BA wrench....what the hell size is a bolt/nut that requires a 2BA wrench? :wicked: It ain't metric and it sure as hell ain't inches...  Damn BAE Jet streams.... Hawker-Siddeley HS125's are just as bad....weeping wings suck!  Well, at least the majority of the fasteners on British aircraft are in inches or fractions thereof.

Many years ago when I was an foreign-auto mechanic's apprentice to an Englishman he had a set of Whitworth tools, measurements between English standard and metric. Some English cars were that unusual standard.

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The very first time I ever drove the UK all the signs were in metric.  A long while later they had all reverted back to miles.  America is too stupid and "exceptional" to go with the rest of the world.  

Ah, you young-ins! The US tried to go metric in the 70's. We were taught it in school. They even added Km/Hr signs on the freeways (90kph/55mph), but the public hated it so much they backed off. I guess you could blame the politicians.

Still, any time you work on a government contract, you have to work in Metric. Fun when you have to do an estimate by doing a take-off in Metric than try to price it out when your subs and suppliers all work in Feet/inches/cubic yards.

3 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Carl

I've been planning to get some of these and try the twin-mating method myself. I have a router!

In a situation of wanting a display cabinet as the one I had was woefully inadequate for 1/32, even small things like 109’s and Spitfires having purchased it when I did mainly 1/48 thingies I started to look around. Living on m6 own and having a spare bedroom that was becoming more of a home office I decided I had a decent amount of room to play with. Price would be the deciding factor. I couldn’t find anything that was exactly what I wanted without going down the custom built route. So I asked my dad, a carpenter and joiner who’s Hobby is also carpentry and joinery to price something up, incidental to other posts in this thread he works in what he calls mils he qualified in 1975 or thereabouts in his trades I started school in 1985 and work with CM’s and leads to all sorts of confusion when we have to talk about measuring stuff. Divide by 10, multiply by 10. Aaanyway timber was ok price wise, it was the tempered glass that put that idea out to pasture. I realised a compromise was in order so off to Ikea I went and had a look around for ideas. I saw something that would work and went home, sold some kits, probably to Dean and raised funds for the cabinet. I ended up getting this

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/bestå-storage-combination-w-glass-doors-white-valviken-grey-turquoise-clear-glass-spr-09138649/?_ga=2.193237226.697533589.1559967924-2135357575.1554280967

However as it comes didn’t quite work for me. I ordered 4 more glass fronted doors and extra glass shelves. So what I ended up with is a cabinet with 4 glass doors, 2 shelves in each segment, making 3 shelves when the bottom of each segment is included. The other 2 extra glass doors I ordered were kept back for now. The bottom units are book storage at the moment but my thinking is one day I might fill this here cabinet and require more display space but when that day comes this cabinet will no longer be available so I’d better order the spares now. So at some point in the future, which is coming closer quicker than I’d thought thanks to displaying other things besides models I’ve got the facility to turn the unit in to a 6 segment display case. It’s a decent size. Each shelf can home a Lego Millenium Falcon, 1/24 Airfix Typhoon, or 1/32 Mosquito just about. The forthcoming Hellcat might be a tag to big with both wings folded out so mine will be a one up one out build I think. You can get 2 Spitfires to a shelf with some space. Stash purchases are based on what will fit on a shelf now. A 1/32 F-16 which was the last jet I had in the stash would just about fit for those inclined to build such things. 

Those old doors make quite a difference. To be fair the ones on the Besta I have work just fine and the cabinet isn’t dark inside but maybe that’s partly down to being in a small light room. I see they actually offer the option with the 4 glass doors now that I modded by buying extra stuff. Didn’t pay that asking price though. Good old inflation I guess. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, AlanG said:

I think you'll find that us 'silly English' people adopted the metric system way back in 1965. The only standard imperial system we tend to use is for vehicle data such as miles and speed. :whistle:

I'll drink to that.. mine's a pint...