Ikea "Milsbo" display case?

Hi Jennings

When I looked at something similar the Detolf cabinet was recommended by the chaps on Britmodeller and there are several online tutorials showing how to add extra shelves, which might be of interest. There are a few people selling shelf kits/clips too.

The Detlof is also considerably cheaper at $59.99. 

Can't give you any more than that as I didn't get round to making the purchase but hope this helps.

Edge

1 hour ago, firefly7 said:

Thank you Jennings, just what i'm looking for, 36" deep & cheap. Also easy to get at IKEA, put 3 or 4 together and your done. I'ts a beautifull thing, great find. 

Note that that's 36 MM deep, not 36 INCHES deep.  It's only about 14" deep.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

there are several online tutorials showing how to add extra shelves, which might be of interest. There are a few people selling shelf kits/clips too.

The Detlof is also considerably cheaper at $59.99. 

Hi

Do you have any links to those tutorials and especially to the shelf kits?

Detlof is cheaper, but it's also much smaller.  The Milsbo unit has quite a bit bigger footprint.

My mistake, still 14" is verry usable for fighters and armor. Perhaps i could put a large, short single or double cabinet on top of each unit for larger stuff, if secured properly. You would need a high wall & stool for placing the items on the top cabinets, but it might be feasible. I'll stop by IKEA and take a look and report back. Thanks again for the info.

Guest DeanKB
1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Note that that's 36 MM deep, not 36 INCHES deep.  It's only about 14" deep.

You Americans and your metric units.

36mm would be too small for 1/72. Might just squeeze in some 1/144 stuff.

6 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Sorry that was just a typo on my part.  35 CENTIMETERS

I'm very well used to metrics.  I convert everything I do in my illustrations and decal art into metric.  I can't work in the silly English units.

I think you'll find that us 'silly English' people adopted the metric system way back in 1965. The only standard imperial system we tend to use is for vehicle data such as miles and speed. :whistle:

7 hours ago, AlanG said:

I think you'll find that us 'silly English' people adopted the metric system way back in 1965. The only standard imperial system we tend to use is for vehicle data such as miles and speed. :whistle:

The very first time I ever drove the UK all the signs were in metric.  A long while later they had all reverted back to miles. 

Edited: by Ron

15 minutes ago, AlanG said:

But British aircraft use weird measurements like a 2BA wrench....what the hell size is a bolt/nut that requires a 2BA wrench? :wicked: It ain't metric and it sure as hell ain't inches...  Damn BAE Jet streams.... Hawker-Siddeley HS125's are just as bad....weeping wings suck!  Well, at least the majority of the fasteners on British aircraft are in inches or fractions thereof.

Edited by Juggernut

I actually went to IKEA last Novemeber to buy a Detolf display case to take to Telford but I realised it's a one install only item, the two packs full of glass are 'kin' heavy and long so not up to being moved about or being transported along bumby car parks! I agree its got to my eye one or more shelves missing but as regards size each shelf will fit say a 1:32 Spitfire diagonally.

I thought about a perspex one but the ones I've seen all are very clunky for displaying jewellery and have great big ugly locks and hinges on them.

Graham