Revell/ Lodela Bristol Beaufighter TF.X LZ451 EE-M Coastal Command 404 Squadron with Model Monkey updates.

monthebiff

I've been wanting to build this one for some time now but when I saw Model Monkey had been working on 3-D printed cockpit and tail plane update sets I decided it was time take the plunge and dust this kit down. When my update parts arrived I have to say I was super happy with the quality of these 3-D printed parts far far better than any I had seen before. I have always wanted to build a RCAF coastal command machine with a full complement of rockets so I also ordered the Aviaeology "Canadians in Coastal Command # 1 "decal set as well. 

20190606-184209.jpg  

20190606-184525.jpg

Very impressed with the packaging from Model Monkey, everything carefully bubble wrapped and in perfect condition on reaching me.

20190606-184546.jpg

So first things first I will carefully remove the cockpit tub from its printing blocks and check the fit between the fuselage halves.

20190606-185027.jpg

20190606-185034.jpg

20190606-185039.jpg

As you can see, the quality and detail of the 3-D printed part is pretty flawless but needs some careful work to remove the tree from the main part. So with a quite day at home planned I'm looking foward to start breathing some new life in to this old kit!

Regards. Andy

With a day at home I spent this morning removing parts from the support tree's which is tricky as the resin used to print these parts is pretty brittle so its a case of slowly but surely! A test fit of parts shows all location points/ etc on parts to fit to the tub are slightly over size and need trimming to fit. Here is the cockpit tub with seat, instrument panel and a few other bits and pieces test fitted.

20190607-161036.jpg

20190607-161118.jpg

The control column is a pretty delicate part with a lot of support tree to remove.

20190607-155602.jpg

and as careful as I was I sill managed to break it 

20190607-160947.jpg

Fortunately I still have the broken parts so some careful reconstruction required. Speaking of broken parts I found one of the fuselage halves had a massive crack in it coming from the wing root area. Here it is with a large amount of Tamiya extra thin applied.

20190607-141921.jpg

I'm thinking I need to be pretty careful with this old plastic as I dont want to have these numerous repairs going on and I've not even started removing the old internal cockpit location tabs etc. My plan is to get the new cockpit tub fit sorted between the fuselage halves before moving on to a re-scribe of the airframe.

Thank you all for looking in on this one and hopefully I can do some justice to this old kit.

Regards. Andy

11 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hi Andy,

Timmy! has 3D printed parts for my big AT-38 with similar attach points. I had good luck removing them with a hot #11 blade-

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Never thought of that but will remember for the future. Thanks for the tip!!

Regards. Andy