HK's B-17F - 21/9 the photon steps up

brahman104

36 minutes ago, Fencer-1 said:

Initially I intend to make true scale dimension 3D nose section till 3E station, because there is cylindrical section with the radius of 45" follow behind 3D station. Then I will scale up whole thing to match HK model fuselage diameter. Will see the result. 

48084210056_31dd660089_b.jpg

Looking great! I'm still placing the cockpit section but your work is looking promising! Are you planning on printing a trail soon?

Craig

I've been playing around with the turtle deck contours. I need this to work properly so it blends into the existing fuselage. As you can see, once again there's differences in profile between HK and the drawing.... HK is in green here...

rwjdjUy.png

Is it going to be that much of an issue? In the grand scheme of things probably not, but it is hard to nail down the exact fuselage reference lines when working between Boeing's drawings, my drawings and the kit.

I think the profile of the Boeing drawing is sharper here and probably going to be easier to reference back to for window/windscreen placement, and it looks sharper overall, so I think I'll stick to that one :)

Craig

There is some research I made.

One tip in the beginning. Nowdays model producers making assembly guides just using 3D rendering for them. The side, top and bottom views are not an exeption. They are also direct renders from model 3D in the most of cases. So, to compare the model in general against some drawings you can just scan these projections and combine them with drawings using bunch of suitable graphic editors. So I did it. Red lines are from my 3D based on factory drawings.

1. The true size nose against model side view. Length matched here. Model is obviously too beefy.

48087229242_41306d1aec_o.png

2. The same, but true profile was moved up to match pilots enclosure.

48087133456_eedac0f9dc_o.png

3. True profile proportionally increased to match the height. There is some exessive length, but clear nose cutout has almost proper height for the model.

48087133201_a1b2c41929_o.png

4. The true profile is not so true here, because it squeezed in length to match the model one.

48087168763_e685d95e58_o.png

Besides the fact that HK B-17 is "fat boy" there is big field for thought how to deal with such inaccuracy.:hmmm:

Craig,

I first became aware of the B-17 when I was 9 years old. For the following  59 years that I have spent "absorbing" B-17 details, I was convinced I had to be in the top ten of "most B-17 obsessed persons."

Between your work on the C and now this in depth research into "4 forward" ---- well, all I can say is my B-17 obsession pales to your obsession and dedication to "getting things right!" It's one thing to figure out what a problem is, but it's a whole new ballgame coming up with the fix, especially when you want to meld that fix into remaining kit componets!

My hat is always off to both your research work and modeling work! As I've said many times, your tenacity is amazing and coupled with your skills, you are not only a talented modeler, but one talented person!!

Terry

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Does it look too fat because it is actually too short...? 

One could certainly feel that way when you look at the overall picture Thierry. One of the main reasons I decided to show my research here as a prelude to the build beginning, is to share the discoveries I have made everywhere, not just in the forward section. This certainly isn't a definitive "everything wrong with the HK kit," but it might help other understand and appreciate the subtle shape differences that make the B-17 what we all know and love!

5 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I don't think so.  I think it looks too fat because it's too fat...at least in the aft fuselage sections.

Agreed mate! Haven't even begun looking at the back end yet, but as Kent has already shown, she's chubby all round......

22 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

I first became aware of the B-17 when I was 9 years old. For the following  59 years that I have spent "absorbing" B-17 details, I was convinced I had to be in the top ten of "most B-17 obsessed persons."

Between your work on the C and now this in depth research into "4 forward" ---- well, all I can say is my B-17 obsession pales to your obsession and dedication to "getting things right!" It's one thing to figure out what a problem is, but it's a whole new ballgame coming up with the fix, especially when you want to meld that fix into remaining kit componets!

My hat is always off to both your research work and modeling work! As I've said many times, your tenacity is amazing and coupled with your skills, you are not only a talented modeler, but one talented person!!

Terry

Hahaha, I think many of us could feel we own that title, but yes, the B-17 is definitely my #1 favourite....... In fact, the main reason I got my scuba diving ticket was in the hope that one day I might dive on Blackjack, which will incidentally be the subject of my F model when I come to build it. Just one more box to tick in an ever expanding list! :)

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

And here she is!

I last visited MOF in Seattle when I was 9, and bitterly disappointed that I had come all the way to the US to see a B-17 and it was not on display but being restored! Luckily, 27 years later I could finally see her in all her glory! I won’t get to Dayton while I’m here, so at least I can put some F model photos up for reference.....

I’m only putting up photos which specifically show the nose shape, as we all know what the back end of a B-17 looks like! ;)

74i8DyM.jpg

aIEiSsL.jpg

LR9b6mr.jpg

hGhheej.jpg

vBsBcqj.jpg

nWJOrKr.jpg

n1k7DrL.jpg

8VUultu.jpg

gpEflCa.jpg

And a very happy visitor!

Cheers,

Craig