HK's B-17F - 21/9 the photon steps up

brahman104

On 9/18/2019 at 4:19 PM, Trak-Tor said:

Great show!

:popcorn:

Juraj

Thanks Juraj! It's still getting refined, but it looks like a B-17!

On 9/18/2019 at 11:55 PM, Out2gtcha said:

That is super nice! Cant wait to see what it looks like with the other half

Thanks Brian! The other half is in print now along with a resin version just to see the difference. 

On 9/19/2019 at 12:17 AM, Kagemusha said:

Amazing, well and truly. 

Thanks mate!

On 9/19/2019 at 1:10 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

Wow!.....just fantastic.  Hope you'll be offering these up for sale at some point.

Cheers,

D.B.

Hi D.B. Thank you. At this stage I am not planning on selling these, for many reasons. In the future I may, but what I've created here doesn't solve everything, there's still quite a bit of modelling that one would have to do to complete the conversion. I'm not sure where Alex (Fencer) is at with his design; he has hinted at the possibility of selling his.......

On 9/19/2019 at 1:48 AM, nmayhew said:

wow wow and thrice wow

that is well and truly bringing the 3d printing revolution to the hobby in a very tangible way

can we give you a list of kits we want corrections / updates for now?

:ninja:

Thanks mate,

Hahaha, I wish! Even now I can't really afford the time to do what I'm doing here, but I love the B-17 so I'm finding the time from somewhere. 

Quick update, I've added the windows so you can better see how it will look. The other side is in print now and I also have a resin copy getting built on the Photon, so those comparison photos will follow soon...... This is literally straight off the printer, so there's no clean up except to remove the raft.........

6N64Q3N.jpg

eu4ChRA.jpg

lIimRvq.jpg

Cheers,

Craig

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

So impressed with the printed parts!

Cheers mate!

Here's both sides and compared to an original kit and my C just for good measure...... I think I've achieved my aim of making it look more like a B-17 :punk:

MhQttkZ.jpg

V9DDxNy.jpg

8QCcrlp.jpg

HeNyMDe.jpg

Dni1I9F.jpg

FcPVq2M.jpg

The resin version it STILL in print (13 hours!). I really hope it works!

Cheers,

Craig

Hey guys,

So here's the resin version of the same .stl file done in the photon..... it just fits!!! BTW it took 13 hours to print this!!!!!!!

There's some slight dimensional creepage/warpage going on with it, but the overall finish blitzes the FDM version, although it's still very useable....

GUrl9Ly.jpg

And side by side....

PsYSueW.jpg

PBMmc8a.jpg

And lastly.......

For those who think 3D printing is easy and hassle free...... Human and machine error is always a possibility and the process is definitely NOT straightforward. For every successful print you see, there are likely to be an equal or greater number of failures. This one was on me; I didn't tighten the build plate securing screw properly as I was in a hurry to get the left side on to print. 13 hours mostly down the drain, although there's some salvage potential here. Nothing for it except to try again!!!

qYC6QPF.jpg

It's actually a credit to the Photon that despite my best efforts to sabotage myself, it still managed to give me a mostly workable print!

p.s. the stuff at the back is the supports. This has come straight out of the printer so I haven't cut anything off yet...... :)

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104