Merkava Mk.4M

Uncarina

I just finished the Meng 1/35 Merkava Mk.4M, one of those kits that I just had to build. One of the things that challenged me with modelling the Merkava has been the ball and chain curtain under the turret and bustle. Not a challenge with this kit, since Meng did a great job reproducing it. Another has been the prominent anti-slip texture. While Meng reproduced this as well, it is too subtle, so I had to add my own. There are several ways of doing this--stippled Mr Surfacer, hamster sand over glue, baking soda over glue, etc, but I found a great way:

6GVk7s9.jpg

1. I spray Tamiya AS-12 as a primer, something for the anti-slip adhesive to grab;

2. I paint Vallejo Surface Primer as the adhesive to a section at a time;

3. I sprinkle aluminum oxide over the wet primer, then blow away the excess;

4. I seal with another coat of AS-12.

I am very pleased with the results--easy, fast, controllable, and strong. After this assembly was easy. I just used aftermarket pre-assembled metal tracks purchased from a Chinese vendor on E-Bay (they fit perfectly), and the Meng aftermarket cargo covers. Painted with Tamiya paints, weathered with AMMO washes, pastels, and oils. Hope you like it.

Cheers,  Tom

O4nIQ7s.jpg

ZUA2J43.jpg

QUDJ08r.jpg

9YGKBXb.jpg

2AD30NU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments! It was my first armor build in a long time, and my favorite parts were adding the anti-slip (much easier and more controllable than I expected) and the finish/weathering. I really recommend this kit.

Cheers,  Tom

Kev and Brian,

Thanks! I appreciate it. One of the especially cool things about this kit is the working suspension with functional styrene springs. I’ve never seen this before but it works!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...