Flightpath RAF Tornado F3 Detail Set

Luca

Out of interest, and not being particularly up to speed on the Tornado, what’s the difference between an F2 and an F3? I’m aware the engines are different, but I have the F2 kit and always fancied doing an F3. Is it something that’s reasonably simple? 

I think the actual F2 entered service without the Radar. It was just for training the initial cadre of Pilots and  Navs for the OCUs only a handful were completed before the F3 came along. F3 had the auto wing sweep function and weapons carriage upgrades as well as the engine upgrade. 

1 minute ago, ade rowlands said:

I think the actual F2 entered service without the Radar. It was just for training the initial cadre of Pilots and  Navs for the OCUs only a handful were completed before the F3 came along. F3 had the auto wing sweep function and weapons carriage upgrades as well as the engine upgrade. 

So externally, tail pipes aside, they’re more or less identical?

Ah the old Blue circle fighter ... A block of concrete in the nose to simulate the weight of the missing radar .. happy days for the RAF

I've used that set many years agio, its over 20 years old, and to be honest its really had its day , the WSO cockpit upgrades might be use if you're planning an F3 conversion, but you'll need a LOT more than this set to build a definative F3 ,, 

colinR

The way to distinguish an F2 from an F3 is the longer fuselage for the longer jetpipes. 

The closeness of the taileron hinge to the edge of the panel is easy to spot.

There will be 30 years worth of upgrades to the cockpit to be considered, as well as minor external such as chaff/flare dispensers.

The twin missile launchers on the inboard pylon were also, I believe a later addition, so F3 only.

48001033822_6750cb319b_o.jpg