I have seen people do this in video's.. but never tried this myself so with some anxiety I started in.. first, cut off the barrel leaving a 1/16 bit to mount the rear end of the cooling jacket to.

5GSGkGR.jpg

Adding the side bits

nPmZkwJ.jpg

The port side detail needs to be built up as it is too thin.. just a strip of sheet added to give the right thickness..

EqllDVA.jpg

The cooling jacket was carefully rolled, the muzzle was nipped off, drilled out and a bit of salvaged copper wire was flat rolled, cut to length and the drilled out muzzle glued on. I didn't drill into the rear of the muzzle too deep, just deep enough to allow for a firm mount on the copper wire.

bSdD0eQ.jpg

Not too bad for a first try....

KR5bJQ0.jpg

More to do though.. the raised edging around the loading/ feed section needs a lip, built this up with scrap sheet.. and the cocking mechanism had to be built from the supplied photo etch and tiny bits of stretched sprue..

If8ebPB.jpg

This was a nightmare... make sure you have you have good ref and pics to figure out where everything goes.. take your time, it's easy to get mixed up and screw up !

Once the paint starts flying though it looks sooooo good !!....

uRN0NaC.jpg

4iiCGCg.jpg

Vallhejo nato black was sprayed on....drybrushed with silver..

FbgftZl.jpg

6MshfgG.jpg

The padding was picked out in MM leather...

ttBX6wU.jpg

I've ordered gaspatch ammo belts for it, in this scale everything is so visible one needs to go for the best thats out there.

Anyhoo... thats it for this time ! Hope you all are enjoying and hopefully getting on with your own builds.

Keep sniffin' glue !!

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Vaughn!

I was just sitting here perusing and admiring my copy of Jedha City in 1:5000 scale........

Thanks ! .... ohhh.. :coolio:   you got your copy ??  Shall we see a build thread in the next few days ??

22 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I imagine you're also aware of this, but the upper wing and ailerons were streaked at different angles from one another.

Nods, yes, and ailerons were sometimes swapped... as each wing or aileron was not always  done by the same painter the angles of the streaks, the density of the paint, ect would vary widely. Thanks for cautioning me though, it's appreciated.

17 minutes ago, spacewolf said:

Nods, yes, and ailerons were sometimes swapped... as each wing or aileron was not always  done by the same painter the angles of the streaks, the density of the paint, ect would vary widely. Thanks for cautioning me though, it's appreciated.

No problem at all, Vaughn, glad to help in any way that I can.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Vaughn!

I was just sitting here perusing and admiring my copy of Jedha City in 1:5000 scale........

Thanks ! I'm looking at my City and it's calling to me to build & paint it...  :-)

Hey Boys & Girls ! It's FRIDAY !! Update time !!!  :yahoo:

I found it interesting the conversation on Resin2Detail that started up this week... I got my replacement engine from him only a short time ago.. no problem.  The kit comes well packed but with no instructions whatsoever.. you have to go by images off the net or ref from books.

srODm0F.jpg

The parts seem well cast.. a few of the fuel tubes were broken off the pour stub but no damage.

WRURha9.jpg

The parts are relatively well cast and detail is quite nice...

ZNaeoOu.jpg

The resin is soft, much like styrene and cuts & sands easily

LCL7XEa.jpg

PzISFMS.jpg

There are a few issues... kwA9HiM.jpg

J1QBloA.jpg

But nothing to stop one from getting the kit together with a bit of work..

iiNDfoW.jpg

There are no tabs or guides for positioning the back of the crank case.. check ref... me being the bright boy I got the thing misaligned but managed to fudge it.

A1k85lX.jpg

The bottom of the cylinders are formed to fit...

hJMsyxp.jpg

And it is indeed a press fir... was VERY impressed with how they went in... and the fit of every part.

lLICO69.jpg

With a bit of careful work one is presented with a very nice looking lump of resin !

edoqhek.jpg

It is designed to be a drop in fit for the Merit kit.

yfcUTE6.jpg

The photo etch is nice, but those hair fine 'rods' just wouldn't cut it...

Y1NlIh4.jpg

I cut off the tops, glued them on and using stretched sprue made my own rods...

kZIvH3z.jpg

My screw up with the casing meant I had to fill the openings for the intake tubes.. but that worked out because the rod housings needed slightly larger rod at the base.. so it all worked.

QJPMB9g.jpg

wU08rJ5.jpg

But the valve rockers... OMG... drove me nuts.. so tiny... getting them on was a nightmare !!

43ZqKCS.jpg

FnXfCM1.jpg

After calming my nerves it was time to break out the paint bottles... Vallehjo chrome and Tamyia semi gloss black made into a wash...

XBrPiBu.jpg

Testors gold for the copper pipes..

ks4Bp9g.jpg

Tamyia white for the spark plugs and hair for the ignition wires...

kzdaEeb.jpg

LT4Rcnq.jpg

All in all a quick and neat little engine kit to put together.. I'd love to see some of you nuts who REALLY know what you are doing make this up into the little jewel it can be !

hocOQUq.jpg

Thats it for this week.. Tune in next time to see what madness is percolating in the madhouse !! :evil_laugh: