Fokker DR 1

spacewolf

• 11 months later...

Wow.. has it been a year ?... I got bogged down by several things with this build and shelved it. The biggest thing for me was the prop, had no idea what to do. Well, recently I happened on a video that showed how you could do it with of all things, colored pencils and Tamyia clear colors..

But... and there is always a but.. I found my beautiful aftermarket engine is too big in diameter for the cowling.. to get it to fit I'd have to remove about all the cylinder heads.. and I don't want to butcher it ..

WBqP5O4.jpg

I tried thinning the cowling but the motor forces it to sit high and 'proud' ...

hIPcgwc.jpg

So I've decided to set the aftermarket engine aside for this build and save it for another (yes, going to build another of these kits and really go to town on it !)

Seat belts were made from masking tape & twist tie wire...

njGbi0W.jpg

9JoXull.jpg

Almost ready to close up the fuse but the rudder does not have a control horn so I made one from the framing of the photo etch fret...

topE7zY.jpg

Qnk45mK.jpg

and with that.. it was time to start fitting things together... Feels good to be back at this.

50xWKWX.jpg

Just read through this whole thread while ignoring the spousal unit to my own detriment and feel compelled to point out a couple of things from the perspective of an old -- and I mean old -- photo analyst/processor.  Namely, there is a reason why the forward fuselage looks weirdly dark in the photos.  Remember that the Dr1 is a triplane, so shadows from overhead are cast by two wings, not one.  Add to that the sort of tetrahedran-shaped fairing that runs from the cowling aft along the otherwise flat-sided fuselage and you get a good recipe for a headache.  I'd bet a lot that the cowling and wheel covers are the same color, but you get to decide what it is 'cause I have no idea.  I'd also bet that the streaky vertical brush strokes go all the way along the fuselage to the cowling and that the dark part of the forward fuselage you are having trouble with in some of the photos is the result of shadows cast by the middle and top wings, not paint.  I know it looks sort of airbrushed in that one photo, but the airplane is running and therefor vibrating a bit and you have no way of knowing what the shutter speed was, so.....  Also, you've done a great job simulating wood grain on your parts, but wood props have that stripey effect because they are made up of multiple thin laminations, often of different species, for strength and are are not carved from one big grainy hunk of a tree.  The blanks that make up a prop are each cut from a precise pattern and are stacked in a symetrical and staggered fashion so that the grain/colors you see on one finished blade is mirrored in the other blade.  In other words, both blades should look pretty much the same.  This is done not only for strength but also because the prop has to balance perfectly -- an out of balance prop will buzz your teeth out of your head at a minimum and literally can shake an airplane apart at worst.  Can't imagine Fokker using wonky props with asymetrical laminations, but I've been wrong before (see ref to spousal unit above).  So, that's all I have to say about that because it is the sum total of what I know about Dr1s.  If I could figure out how to put a tailhook on one, I might build it.  Otherwise, I'll leave you to it.