Fokker DR 1

spacewolf

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Vaughn!

I was just sitting here perusing and admiring my copy of Jedha City in 1:5000 scale........

Thanks ! .... ohhh.. :coolio:   you got your copy ??  Shall we see a build thread in the next few days ??

22 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I imagine you're also aware of this, but the upper wing and ailerons were streaked at different angles from one another.

Nods, yes, and ailerons were sometimes swapped... as each wing or aileron was not always  done by the same painter the angles of the streaks, the density of the paint, ect would vary widely. Thanks for cautioning me though, it's appreciated.

17 minutes ago, spacewolf said:

Nods, yes, and ailerons were sometimes swapped... as each wing or aileron was not always  done by the same painter the angles of the streaks, the density of the paint, ect would vary widely. Thanks for cautioning me though, it's appreciated.

No problem at all, Vaughn, glad to help in any way that I can.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Vaughn!

I was just sitting here perusing and admiring my copy of Jedha City in 1:5000 scale........

Thanks ! I'm looking at my City and it's calling to me to build & paint it...  :-)

Hey Boys & Girls ! It's FRIDAY !! Update time !!!  :yahoo:

I found it interesting the conversation on Resin2Detail that started up this week... I got my replacement engine from him only a short time ago.. no problem.  The kit comes well packed but with no instructions whatsoever.. you have to go by images off the net or ref from books.

srODm0F.jpg

The parts seem well cast.. a few of the fuel tubes were broken off the pour stub but no damage.

WRURha9.jpg

The parts are relatively well cast and detail is quite nice...

ZNaeoOu.jpg

The resin is soft, much like styrene and cuts & sands easily

LCL7XEa.jpg

PzISFMS.jpg

There are a few issues... kwA9HiM.jpg

J1QBloA.jpg

But nothing to stop one from getting the kit together with a bit of work..

iiNDfoW.jpg

There are no tabs or guides for positioning the back of the crank case.. check ref... me being the bright boy I got the thing misaligned but managed to fudge it.

A1k85lX.jpg

The bottom of the cylinders are formed to fit...

hJMsyxp.jpg

And it is indeed a press fir... was VERY impressed with how they went in... and the fit of every part.

lLICO69.jpg

With a bit of careful work one is presented with a very nice looking lump of resin !

edoqhek.jpg

It is designed to be a drop in fit for the Merit kit.

yfcUTE6.jpg

The photo etch is nice, but those hair fine 'rods' just wouldn't cut it...

Y1NlIh4.jpg

I cut off the tops, glued them on and using stretched sprue made my own rods...

kZIvH3z.jpg

My screw up with the casing meant I had to fill the openings for the intake tubes.. but that worked out because the rod housings needed slightly larger rod at the base.. so it all worked.

QJPMB9g.jpg

wU08rJ5.jpg

But the valve rockers... OMG... drove me nuts.. so tiny... getting them on was a nightmare !!

43ZqKCS.jpg

FnXfCM1.jpg

After calming my nerves it was time to break out the paint bottles... Vallehjo chrome and Tamyia semi gloss black made into a wash...

XBrPiBu.jpg

Testors gold for the copper pipes..

ks4Bp9g.jpg

Tamyia white for the spark plugs and hair for the ignition wires...

kzdaEeb.jpg

LT4Rcnq.jpg

All in all a quick and neat little engine kit to put together.. I'd love to see some of you nuts who REALLY know what you are doing make this up into the little jewel it can be !

hocOQUq.jpg

Thats it for this week.. Tune in next time to see what madness is percolating in the madhouse !! :evil_laugh:

Not a lot of progress this week unfortunately, this update is more of a product review. First up, the bad news. As I posted in the LSP forum the hand made wood prop I ordered is useless.. LF models

https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_75_88

Their 1/24 scale prop is actually oversized by almost 3.5.. works out around 1/21 scale.

mKXrbDJ.jpg

The triplane prop was 2,620 mm in dia. which works out to 10.92 cm in 1/24. The kit prop is spot on. Unfortunately the wood prop is 12.3... way too big.

MFB4ade.jpg

Sadly I'm out money and still looking for a prop.. may have to give laminating and carving a prop a try myself.

Edited by spacewolf

Now the good news !! :yahoo:

I was looking about for MG belts, in this scale you need something and the guns & ammo belts are very obvious. A good friend linked me to gaspatch models..

http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/

I fired off an order and O...M...G !!! these are insane !

ddORjfn.jpg

n76epQ4.jpg

Look at the detail !!... they are very delicate ( I broke a few) but just WOW...

bR8z7Tn.jpg

ikY6Ia3.jpg

Compaired to the photo etch there is simply no comparison !! I paid $15 for a 'belt' that has more than enough for 8 or 10 models.. and service was fast, a week & a half. This outfit is good !!

Anyhoo.. thats it for this time. Hopefully I'll have a decent update next week

Cheers

12 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

I took some pictures for you if you're interested.  Scroll half way down the page.

Sincerely,

Mark

OH WOW ! !  Thanks so much Mark !! Great shots of all the aircraft and the DR 1's. I was intrigued at the modern mods they put on the Triplane, the brakes especially made me smile, as an old aviation tech I think they did a brilliant job. Great detail shots indeed. VERY MUCH appreciated !!