Fokker DR 1

spacewolf

A couple of shots .. the first in bright sunlight. One can see the shading on the fuse side and the area behind the cowling is in direct sunlight. The cowling and wheel covers are certainly a different color and it's very fresh. The area behind the cowling to the cutout on the mid wing is much darker than the rest of the fuse back to the shade line from the top wing. If one looks closely at the leading edge of the lower wing close to the fuse, the dark olive where the loaded brushes were first applied for the wing streaking seems to match the darker color of the front fuselage.

s0KxGbM.jpg

In this next shot things are not as crisp but the same basic details stand out. If, as some speculate the nose and wheel covers were yellow (his SQN colors) it would explain the tonal shift of the print as the old film would read yellow as a shade of grey.

XnufvBO.jpg

In reading on several forums and web sites there are reports from pilots other than 56 sqn who mention seeing yellow on the triplane, however they have usually been yelled down by those who 'know' that only the reports by 56 sqn are accurate. If indeed the sqn colors were painted on the Triplane would look like this..

lwq9a0q.jpg

Just now, LSP_K2 said:

Yep, I never intended for a debate to develop, just thought you might find the shot to be intriguing and interesting, which to me it most certainly is.

No worries... and debate is good ! The Aerodrome has tons of discussions on this topic and there is some fascinating evidence for the yellow nose/ wheel cover, not to mention that 56 sqn may not have shot him down... but that he was killed in another fight about 20 min later.... but it is all debate and conjecture. I'm having fun on this build and certainly learning a lot about the aircraft and history that I 'thought' I knew !!

It's Friday !!... on a long weekend here in the Great White North !! It's update time !!! :yahoo:

Needing a break from all the detail work I pulled out something simple.. the wings. Nothing too complicated.. right ? :unsure:... Here we have pics of the wing.. solid sprue attachments, decent detail.. but what are those rectangular panels ?.. never saw them on any kit of the triplane before...

Mz4qXCp.jpg

The sprue attachments..

DlgDzHc.jpg

WU4Tkkc.jpg

But what the heck are these.. they almost go through the skin !

stv9jDz.jpg

Very odd

DaGDlG1.jpg

First fix.. the fuel gauge sits between the guns in a raised shroud like this..

Scm5ZFJ.jpg

On the model the shroud is there but also a long trough leading up to it.. the shroud needs to be drilled and filed open and the trough filled. Also there is no decal provided for this instrument. I filled the trough with milliput and opened the shroud, made a gauge from  sprue and paint. I filled and rounded the wing inner edges.

kgNw6zE.jpg

JgU0Xs5.jpg

On the top wing there is an opening that had me puzzled

Pubm0M7.jpg

.. again, I had never noticed it before.. so off to the book and net. Lo and behold it is there.. almost never seen in pics.. hard to see..

xRuYLkg.jpg

This was of all things a clear celluloid panel over the spar which allowed for checking of the ZAK inspectors stamp, date and signature in pencil. It was framed in with wood strips and the celluloid panel sewn into a hole cut in the wing fabric. Much searching got me a pic of a Fokker DVII wing under restoration.

SNLMo0a.jpg

On the model the opening is too far aft.. so I filled it with kit plastic from a sprue tab as seen in the first pic. Cut to size, glued in and sanded. The lines drawn and proper location..

Ox0NwVQ.jpg

The opening was carefully made with a chisel blade...

whS0rwb.jpg

A good friend made up a decal of the inspectors stamp/ date. signature... yes it's my name in there ! :ninja: ... Some deck tan, a light bit of burnt umber oils, the decal and then a bit of thin clear sheet to seal everything in.

xK64tqh.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Now for those pesky panels under the wing... after much searching finally came upon a period pic that shows them somewhat clearly.. the snow reflected enough light the camera/ film was able to pick up the detail...

3evW05K.jpg

To be honest even modern pics rarely pick out this on reproduction aircraft but I finally found some good shots...

ZHCLUTq.jpg

Inspection panels from sheet aluminum for the control pullies.

oK2D7LJ.jpg

And the twist fasteners for them.. this shot was taken from a discussion on the Aerodrome forum.

O1P8tT2.jpg

So now to reproduce the detail.. a scribed circles made from a sharpened brass tube

k8dUSf4.jpg

nobs made from bits of scrap

p71svHy.jpg

Hinge made from stretched sprue

pH5R2xz.jpg

One final hiccup... My upper wing was bowed.. didn't notice till I had the upper and lower halves glued..not bad but a pain.

QZQ0Umx.jpg

My quick and dirty solution was to cut the bottom and insert a bit of thin sheet... I cut two slots but only needed one.  A bit of scrap .005 sheet and some super glue, some sanding and problem solved.

VTTWSkY.jpg

To give you some idea of the 4 points between 1/28 and 1/24... here is the wing with the old Revell 1/28 and Aurora 1/48 wing

Db5CKny.jpg

I'm really please with how this is all coming out and amazed at how much I didn't know about this aircraft !

Till next time, keep sniffin glue !!

Thanks ! Unfortunately the kit doesn't have the bumpers.. going to have to make them. I never knew about those either till this build. The were indeed to protect the leading edge during construction, storage and shipping. I'm hoping that a few people will see this build and give the kit a shot. It's not bad at all and being that it is seemingly based on a replica can be built OOB and still be considered a perfect model as it is based on a real reproduction. I haven't found the real one yet but have seen pics of a couple that are very very close. It may be that they took shots of several and just mixed and matched.

Happy Weekend all !! :yahoo:  It's that time again !!

With the announced sad demise of Mad Magazine whats a Don Martin fan to do ?... build guns !!  :evil_laugh:

The kit guns are pretty sad.. If you change nothing else, these HAVE to go.

lBmXqLR.jpg

tBny5rT.jpg

A chap over on Britmodeler did this with the kit supplied parts..

22O7jfg.jpg

xVdpCqR.jpg

The top one has the supplied photo etch wrapped around the plastic barrel as per instructions.. leaves you with a basic look that is like the old Revell kit... won't do these days.

Enter Toms Model Works !!

I6augrw.jpg

I was rather disappointed with the instructions.. very poor and unclear, obviously have been photo copied far too many times..

2c5jcLL.jpg

You get 2 Maxim and one Parabellum gun....

The photo etch is sweet... but VERY thin !... about half the thickness of other sets I have had..

kHGThk4.jpg

The detail on the set is far better than the kit supplied set

SMBja0m.jpg

I have seen people do this in video's.. but never tried this myself so with some anxiety I started in.. first, cut off the barrel leaving a 1/16 bit to mount the rear end of the cooling jacket to.

5GSGkGR.jpg

Adding the side bits

nPmZkwJ.jpg

The port side detail needs to be built up as it is too thin.. just a strip of sheet added to give the right thickness..

EqllDVA.jpg

The cooling jacket was carefully rolled, the muzzle was nipped off, drilled out and a bit of salvaged copper wire was flat rolled, cut to length and the drilled out muzzle glued on. I didn't drill into the rear of the muzzle too deep, just deep enough to allow for a firm mount on the copper wire.

bSdD0eQ.jpg

Not too bad for a first try....

KR5bJQ0.jpg

More to do though.. the raised edging around the loading/ feed section needs a lip, built this up with scrap sheet.. and the cocking mechanism had to be built from the supplied photo etch and tiny bits of stretched sprue..

If8ebPB.jpg

This was a nightmare... make sure you have you have good ref and pics to figure out where everything goes.. take your time, it's easy to get mixed up and screw up !

Once the paint starts flying though it looks sooooo good !!....

uRN0NaC.jpg

4iiCGCg.jpg

Vallhejo nato black was sprayed on....drybrushed with silver..

FbgftZl.jpg

6MshfgG.jpg

The padding was picked out in MM leather...

ttBX6wU.jpg

I've ordered gaspatch ammo belts for it, in this scale everything is so visible one needs to go for the best thats out there.

Anyhoo... thats it for this time ! Hope you all are enjoying and hopefully getting on with your own builds.

Keep sniffin' glue !!