Fokker DR 1

spacewolf

13 hours ago, spacewolf said:

The engine is an example of the issues with the kit.. it's not the Oberursel but rather the Clerget... this along with a few other things I've noted leads me to the conclusion they copied a reproduction aircraft rather than doing the research to get it right. I've ordered the replacement engine but figgured I'd put together the kit engine just to see how it goes together.

Clerget Engine in Fokker Dr.1

Josef Jacobs is known to have flown a DR.I that had been re-engined with a Clerget taken from a Camel. Post #8 in the forum referenced above lists a few others.

Edited by coogrfan

On 6/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, ScanmanDan said:

Nice work Vaughn.  Could you let those of us that might just have one or two of these kits hiding under the bed what sized holes you drilled in the front face of the cowl?

I'm really looking forward to your progress.

:D Under the bed you say ?... 7/32 for the 'eyes'... 1/4 for the 'nose'.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:56 AM, coogrfan said:

Clerget Engine in Fokker Dr.1

Josef Jacobs is known to have flown a DR.I that had been re-engined with a Clerget taken from a Camel. Post #8 in the forum referenced above lists a few others.

Nods, yes indeed. The Germans were noted for swapping the engines out of captured aircraft. If anyone does one of these (check the number and paint scheme) the kit supplied engine would not be an issue though often they used the capture propeller as well so that could be an issue.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:34 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Still a workable kit though, and in a great scale too.

From my experience it is a bit overpriced but an 'honest' kit.. no pretensions of Wingnuts or even Roden. A simple basic kit that tends to draw you in and want to detail it to death !!

Another week and the silliness is building !... or is it me ?..:frantic:... anyhoo... I've decided to do the famous F1 presented to Voss... but I'm sneakily going to avoid all the cowling/ color controversy by doing it as it was presented to him.. BEFORE it did or did not get painted in his personal/ Sqn colors !!  

The first thing was the horizontal stab.. a curved leading edge had to be added to the DR 1 kit part... cut from sheet...

SIkwxUX.jpg

A bit of filler, glue, putty and gentle sanding...

QIBQQfT.jpg

But as you can see the kit has a problem here.. the seam is shown for the elevator but it's not continued forward to the leading edge... if one wants to go up or down this 'could' be an issue... :unsure:.. Well, I wanted to separate the elevator and have the controls droop a bit so the trusty razor saw and exacto blades came in handy...

qQosJH9.jpg

I added on the kit supplied control horns but didn't realize till I took the pic the nearer one is backwards.. going to have to fix that...Also added a bit of scrap sheet to represent the hinge.

On to the interior ! The kit gives you the tube structure.. undersized a bit of course to fit inside the fuse shell. It goes together easily and I had no issue with warps.

mRBn33E.jpg

First bit of extra detailing.. the canvas panel behind the seat. Nicely detailed but a few issues. As molded the stiffening cross wires are represented on the 'forward' face which is wrong, they are behind it. Also there are 3 push pin divots (sanded away in the pic).

ylSqXm6.jpg

The easy fix for all this is... turn the sucker 180 degree's ! Cut off the bar and reglue it on the back face and all problems are solved !

3fwJm7W.jpg

Me being me.. those molded holes and lacing had to be redone, so out with my pin vice, a tiny drill and voila !.. cause it's gotta look better !! A bit of paint, my own mix for the linen and the part is ready...

fFYRmhs.jpg

Working on the controls/ stick.. added in the missing aileron horns using sheet stock..

JPKg79g.jpg

The oils really bring out the wood effect. Semi gloss black for the metal parts..

yS72P4y.jpg

Test fitting showed no problems...

pMQJtdm.jpg

The compass decal settled down after several applications of sol/ set and fasteners added to the rudder peddle heel scuff pads

LlZCsM2.jpg