#1 LSP on your Shelf of Doom - post pix and cheer on

seiran01

43 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I try to hit the insert image from URL tab below but it doesn’t allow me to see my photos.   Hmmmmm. 

bz0rIhd.jpg

Try this, there is a drop down list that gives several options for a link. Choose BBCode, then copy and paste the URL ( that is to the right of the green drop down arrow ) to the LSP post you want to insert the image into. 

Edited by GDW

So many awesome projects in this thread that we've all stalled on for one reason or another - It's both comforting and a bit depressing to see that I'm not the only one :rolleyes:

A question for everyone - how many of you plan or expect to one day finish the project(s) you've shared here? How many hope but don't expect? How many likely won't?

Of those who likely will never finish a build, have you thought about either buying/selling, or trading a shelf of doom kit with another modeller's SOD project to help each other's planes not end up either under 6 pounds of dust or in the rubbish? It's something that's come to mind from time to time, but I've never explored the potential for any of my 28 (at last count) aircraft in various stages of completion. Curious to hear others' thoughts on this... and if the answer to these questions is no, what will it take realistically to motivate you to finish the plane?

Cheers!

Mike

I have only 2 LSP's on my Shelf Of Doom.  Both are Trumpeter kits; namely the P-51B and P-47 Razorback.  Perhaps there's a 5% chance I'll complete the Mustang, which I didn't bother to take any pictures of, but I hope one day to finish the P-47, as that plane is a favourite.  Alas I got totally bamboozled with how I wanted to detail the engine, so I put it away in favour of the Tamiya Spitfire MkXVI I did for the blue theme'd group build.

po53Wutcj

plgvlxd2j

poXuu2xmj

poUDBsxaj

These bits are now back in the box.  Since the Spitfire build, I've been dealing with family issues, so that has prevented me going ahead with the plane I was going to build for the Multi Engine group build, and I want to finish that, another Tamiya kit, and the Airfix Hellcat before I get back to this one.

That said, here's an idea for a future group build.  "Finished Shelf of Doom builds"!! :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

Come to think of it I sent Ernie Ling my AD-5W Guppy, he will finish that long before I would have and he will do a damn nice job of it... Was hoping to see it done before Nats but that won't happen. Next year though, definitely.

11wjtr.jpg

You got rid of your Guppy???  Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

It was looking so good, why?

• 2 weeks later...

My only SOD kit, which is tantalizingly close to finished, is the WNW Albatros DVa OAW.  I put it on hold for a long while, and tried to start it back up after I finished with this last move.  Things were going well, and then several mistakes compounded on one another.  I still have nightmares of lozenge decals (kit decals), I couldn't get the upper wing affixed well, and I never even got as far as rigging before I set it on the shelf.  I set it on the shelf, btw, because if I'd looked at it for 30 seconds longer it was going to get a "flight test"

My recently finished and posted yellow wing F4F, however, was saved from the shelf of doom.  I had set that aside early last year, before I even started the biplane, but finally brought it to a successful completion.  That was a good feeling.  I have historically avoided the SOD by only buying one kit at a time, and making myself finish what was on my desk before I could get something else.  I have recently started breaking that rule, though, and have three 1/48 and three 1/32 kits waiting to be built currently, plus two I've finished within the past month. 

Edited by Bstarr3

I bought the Fisher Patter 1/32nd F-9F Panther in 2003 when it first appears. My first resin model. It was a great experience and I used Vallejo Model Air for the first and only time. The paint as so fragile it just scratched off way too easily. Roll on 2018 - the Panther is rolling around on my shelf of doom and I decide to take another look. Woe and behold I find that my lovely wife has thrown the box out with many of the kit parts in it (U/C, doors, wheels, canopy, weapons, PE sheet etc). I contact Paul Fisher and send him a photo of what I have and ask him if I can pay for the missing parts. 7-10 days later a box arrives in the post with all of the missing parts completely free of charge including the shipping to the UK. How is that for customer service!

link to the RFI.

Thanks for the inspiration.