#1 LSP on your Shelf of Doom - post pix and cheer on

seiran01

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

We actually have an entire 565-page eBook that covers Peter's amazing approach to working with metal:

https://www.klp.com.au/product/building-race-80-spitfire-mk-xive-in-1-18-scale/

:beer4:

Kev

Hands down one of the best modelling books I've ever read....would love to have a hard copy one day. 

Gives me hope seeing so many stalled projects on so many shelves, particularly by many of you more "mature" modellers than me! (only been doing this four or five years or so).

I have six 1/32 LSP's, although 1 is ongoing - my gifted SuperHornet - and a couple 1/48 big jets almost done (F-111, Mig-31). Plus a big helo but that's another story!

The more interesting question is why a model ends up on the shelf of doom....

Sometimes I do get a build that I know I won't finish.  I can count these on one hand:

Revell FW190 - an awful kit with that poor quality Revell plastic and all those sink-holes.  I  simply got fed up fighting with it.

Special Hobby - Aircobra, I truly hate this company's kits, great subjects badly executed and I do not accept 'short-run' as an excuse.  Life is too short for them.

Trumpeter Avenger - a great kit and ejoyable build but the turret was missing and I just could not get a replacement so it was left unfinished.  I did finish another at a later date.

Hobbyboss P61 - enjoyable build that I dropped onto concrete while doing surface preparation for painting.  It smashed into small pieces, a sad end to a nice kit.  I will get another one day (as I did with the Avenger...)

ZM Mustang - my '****-up' entirely, I simply screwed it up and I decided it was not worth finishing as I would not get a satisfactory result.

Why no pics? -  well I know I won't go back to a model and each and every one of those ended up in the bin and thrown away immediately I decided to stop working on it.

Everthing else I have finished (38 1/32's a 1/24 and 9 1/48s over the last 7/8 years) but I only keep the best on the shelf. 

I discipline myself not to start a project until I have finished one, though I must do a little on-line research to wet my appetite for the next build.

33 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

The more interesting question is why a model ends up on the shelf of doom....

Sometimes I do get a build that I know I won't finish.  I can count these on one hand:

Revell FW190 - an awful kit with that poor quality Revell plastic and all those sink-holes.  I  simply got fed up fighting with it.

Special Hobby - Aircobra, I truly hate this company's kits, great subjects badly executed and I do not accept 'short-run' as an excuse.  Life is too short for them.

Trumpeter Avenger - a great kit and ejoyable build but the turret was missing and I just could not get a replacement so it was left unfinished.  I did finish another at a later date.

Hobbyboss P61 - enjoyable build that I dropped onto concrete while doing surface preparation for painting.  It smashed into small pieces, a sad end to a nice kit.  I will get another one day (as I did with the Avenger...)

ZM Mustang - my '****-up' entirely, I simply screwed it up and I decided it was not worth finishing as I would not get a satisfactory result.

Why no pics? -  well I know I won't go back to a model and each and every one of those ended up in the bin and thrown away immediately I decided to stop working on it.

Everthing else I have finished (38 1/32's a 1/24 and 9 1/48s over the last 7/8 years) but I only keep the best on the shelf. 

I discipline myself not to start a project until I have finished one, though I must do a little on-line research to wet my appetite for the next build.

I find that a fascinating angle myself.   Although I find myself with different reasons, but it seems the majority of time there seems to be a trailing off of interest or motivation for that subject weather due to too much work left to do, horrible kit that fights you every step, or very rarely in my case, a kit comes along that you are extremely passionate about, and it gets started immediately, when another project is on the bench. 

I have several part started kits. Several manufacturers so it’s not a good kit/bad kit thing. I think it’s a mojo related thing. My work space is a spare work surface in the kitchen. I live alone so for the most part I can keep it as my work place most of the time. However I occasionally need to clear the space for working on other things or just to tidy it up. I then suffer from a lack of mojo in putting it all back together. I also seem to definitely have a stall point in a lot of builds. Usually around the time after cockpit building and painting then clear coating, weathering and final flat coat. I don’t know why but that seems to be a point I decide I want to box that one back up and start something else. Incidentally this is the point I’m now at with my 109E-4. Work surface packed away and cleaned down kit boxed up with cockpit weathers and waiting for the HGW belts to be made up before flat coating. The belts seem to a stalling point for me too. Look so much better than etch metal belts but a faff to make up. So we shall see what happens when I get back home from my trip back to the folks house. Will I plod on with the 109 or decide something else needs to be opened and taken to the same stage as the several other victims in the cupboard. I’ve debated having a day of making up several sets of HGW belts and storing them ready for builds as I’ve long established it as a stall point. I’ve also gone on a bit of a 109 spree of late. Besides the one being built I’ve ordered 2 Hasegawa G-6s 2 Hasegawa F-4’s and won a Hasegawa G-14 in an auction. Have plans for them all. That’s a lot of Luftwaffe belts that need doing. Plus the ones for the Bf110 lurking in the stash. 

The only one I never finished is a 1/48 Hobby Boss A-6E Intruder. I painted it and stopped there because:

- never found satisfying markings to finish it,

- poor panel lines where I would not be able to show them properly after painting (and re-scribing is beyond my skills and will)

- started other projects.

I stalled a long time on finishing my 1/48 AMK fouga magister and Tamyia p-47 because I had other projects in parallel (ZM skyraider...)

Recently I almost did not finish my Eduard P-40 (I still have to post some photos here btw...) because I was so excited to receive the Tamyia Mosquito.

so as BarryWilliams said above, I have to discipline myself not to start anything as long as the one in progress is not finished. I even now try not to buy a new one in advance (although I hate when my production line stops).

So no stash, no parallel projects.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, airscale said:

i have two to be ashamed of, neither of which I can look in the eye..

1/18 Fairey Firefly..

chances of completion - 5%

WIP792_zps3kjrp8ra.jpg

1.24 F7F Tigercat..

chances of completion - 30%

WIP793_zpsvxcxlctj.jpg

plus an HPH DH Hornet that got as far as some of a cockpit and one merlin engine, and a AIMS / Revell Ju188 that just got a bit butchered and a few cockpit bits.. - both will never see the light of day again

shame on me...:angry2:

Peter

It would be a shame to never complete the Tigercat and the Hornet when you've put so much work into them.  If you're convinced you'll never finish the Hornet, I am sure you wouldn't have any problems selling it to someone on the forum who would be delighted to finish it.

I have a slightly different approach to my "Shelf of doom."

It's more what I have always called "The graveyard" and it's where aborted projects go to die, because they will never become finished display pieces.

These kits were either aborted for whatever reason, or finished, but not to an acceptable standard.

I have many, many kits in the graveyard.