1/32 - Lloyd 40.08 WW1 Triplane Bomber Scratch Build

guitarlute101

Hello everyone,

With Wingnut Wings releasing a very fine Gotha G.I bomber, I decided to change up and do a different scratch build. I've still got some time left in the GB and I'm always looking to build something unique.

Here is my new project, the Lloyd 40.08 Triplane Bomber, and a few pictures I've gathered from the internet....

lpw1dV.jpg

92Crqi.jpg

WpWBRa.jpg

yyPXxn.jpg

It's big and ugly....I love it!

Many Lloyd aircraft used plywood covered wings, 40.08 was one of them. Hopefully this will make the wings easier to reproduce.

I will also have to make an Austro-Daimler V8 engine. Much fun ahead.

Thanks for looking in,

Mark

Edited by guitarlute101

Thanks guys!  I'm working on an idea for the wings at the moment. The wingspan of the upper wing will be a little under 2 feet 8 inches so I'm going to be making them out of balsa so they will be very light in weight.

Q6zdTv.jpg

I should have an update by the end of the day.

Thanks for looking in,

Mark

On 5/31/2019 at 8:32 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Wow! I've never heard of this aircraft before, and I can't believe such a thing ever existed, let alone actually flew! Really looking forward to watching your progress on this one, Mark.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

This was an experimental aircraft created around the "triplane craze" when many companies were building tri-wing bombers around that concept. Very little information has survived about the 40.08 but it is believed that it might have made some ground hops on the airfield but probably never really flew. I just really like the spirit of engineering, imagination and experimentation that it holds even if it was ultimately a failed design.

Mark

So I think my solution for making the wings will work out, thank goodness.

I cut the basic shape out of balsa using a paper guide cut out from the scale drawings and made a sanding block for the upper and lower wing...

Y97I0j.jpg

nFawBd.jpg

I gave it a coat of Mr Surfacer 500, you can see it's still a little grainy from sanding.....

2xss0z.jpg

Next, I put on a few thin coats of automobile Spot putty (Bondo) to smooth everything out....

PXpjlw.jpg

6VtMV3.jpg

QvuZxF.jpg

Two coats of Mr Surfacer 500 and it's smooth as glass...

ucAdm0.jpg

Here it is on the scale plans, I'll need to refine the leading edge a bit but I think that will do it. This was about a days work on this wing.

VDMucg.jpg

I'll spend some time on the rest of the wings over the next few weeks and should get them done relatively quickly...….

Thanks for looking in!

Mark

Edited by guitarlute101

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent! So the Mr. Surfacer and/or glazing putty doesn't warp the balsa?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Not at all, it actually made it stiffer by filling in the grain. It might warp a much thinner piece though, I'm not sure. I was worried about warping when I was considering doing it this way but I thought I'd try it anyhow and so far, fingers crossed, it has worked out.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider filling the balsa with thin viscosity CA. It dries quickly (no need to wait for spot putty solvent to evaporate), doesn't shrink, sands easily, and the CA adds hardness to the wood without increasing weight.  I used it to construct trails/frame out of balsa for a 1/24 Gribeauval 12 pdr gun many moons ago, and it allowed me to get squared sharp corners impossible to achieve with soft balsa alone. I think it might be just what you're looking for to get thin trailing edges.

Hth, Rob