Using montex masks for painting?

JefH

Hi.

I'm in the process of building a P-51 and am going to attempt painting the markings with a montex mask set.  Do you typically paint the base coat then add the markings or do you get the markings down, mask them and put down your base colours?  I've seen it done both ways, is there advantages to one over the other or is it strictly builders preference?

Hopefully that question made sense.  Thanks for your time.

Jeff

It's strictly builder's preference, Jeff. Painting the markings on after the main painting is done is the more common way to do it, but my personal preference is the reverse. I find it easier to prevent the base undercoat (white, usually) from fringing at the edges, and it also helps minimise the amount of paint you have to use for the markings in order to completely cover the underlying colours. The markings end up looking thinner, and with less build-up around the edges.

YMMV.

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It's strictly builder's preference, Jeff. Painting the markings on after the main painting is done is the more common way to do it, but my personal preference is the reverse. I find it easier to prevent the base undercoat (white, usually) from fringing at the edges, and it also helps minimise the amount of paint you have to use for the markings in order to completely cover the underlying colours. The markings end up looking thinner, and with less build-up around the edges.

YMMV.

Kev

Interesting......never thought of doing it that way round Kev, but it makes sense! :)

Kev's spot on I mistakenly painted a white circle for a US star, put the mask on and airbrushed the blue, I was left with a white fringe on the completed marking.

I have been doing it the pre camouflage finish on a couple of builds, the first was a Revell Spitfire

I found it very useful for the four colour fuselage roundel.

3RYSJK.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

If the markings involve a white or yellow, as say, RAF roundels but then a fairly dark camouflage colour I go markings first, then camo. Helps prevent build up around the edges of the masks if I try to cover a dark colour with a light colour that may require more coats. Once done I then mask over the markings with tape or the original masks and masking fluid for gaps if required. Seal the masks edges with a coat of gloss coat to help create a better seal to prevent bleed through and runs down panel lines and the like. I for the most part use Mr paint which are very thin so I don’t find that step a waste of time. I then do the final camo coat over the top. 

Check out the links below in my sig, the P-40, 109, P-51A, Ki-84, and F4U were all Montex masks, I personally prefer to put down the base color first, usually white, then paint the outermost color of the marking, apply the outer mask, then paint the model, this gives the best results for me. The type of marking and background color can make a difference, also, if you are using chipping fluid, that can affect the order.

Edited by 1to1scale