nmayhew

Revell Fw190 A-8 Sturmbock - any reviews / what's inside etc

This is not a review, but after a quick research there are some Questions/Critics:

- the glass add-on armour on the canopy was srewed/bolted on. The flat backside of those often called "Blinker" leaves a gap when attached to the curved canopy. Revell did this not very

accurate on the canopy as the Blinker are molded on. Experten might cut the Blinker from the canopy, sand it down and polish it and add it to one of the two canopy parts without the add-

on armour.

- Research on the decal sheet was carried out by AIRDOC. I´m not sure on "yellow 3", if the JG 3 badge was placed correctly on the side armour. According to my reference the badge was

seen on the black cowling or wasn´t added at all. Next are the Colours on topsides: Revell says, RLM 75 and 82 are correct, but I would likely use RLM 74/75 as this a/c was in use in early

summer 1944. Later this year they omitted the white fuselage band and the black cowling…

Having a look at Eagle Productions there is a sheet for Sturmböcke, available in 1/72 and 1/48 only:   http://www.eagle-editions.com/aircraft-decals-for-the-modeler/48/fw-

190s/eaglecals-8-48-fw-190-a-8s-sturmj-ger-part-2.html

"Yellow 3" is pictured using a "Krebs-Gerät" instead of the auxiliary fuel tank. As far as I know, such a "Krebs-Gerät" is not available yet. For those interested in: The "Krebs-Gerät" was a

single 21cm rocket that would fire backwards. The idea was flying though a bomber box and fire this rocket would cause some serious Damage to the bombers due to the blast and/or the

shrapnels so that these damaged bombers are an easy target once the left the cover of the bomber box. The "Krebs-Geräte" had little to no success and made the Fw 190 less

maneuverable so they so little action. Creating a "Krebs-Gerät" should be no Major Task using sheet/plastic profiles and one of the Werfergranten 21 from Edaurd, HPH or Schatton

Modellbau.

According to the instruction of Eaglecals "yellow 3" was a Fw 190 A-8 - no R2. A quick Research couldn´t answer this question....

- If I would build the "Raubautz" I would paint the spinner black using the white spiral which makes much more sense to me than using a red spiral on a white spinner in order to confuse

pilots/bomber gunners in a head-on attack.

Good to see, Revell adds both opportunities.

I´m a lucky man as I could get my Sturmböcke for 29,99 € as an offer on eBay/Germany.

Cheers

Reimund 

When I decided to make Yellow 17, I knew it too was going to require scratching up a Krebs-Gerät.

It can be done, but as you have noted, it does require a bit of research and scratch building.

My rendition is far from perfect, but I think with some work you can probably get a good rendition from the Revell kit with less scratching than I had to do even with the Krebs-Gerät:

20171005_213249-XL.jpg

20171005_213305-XL.jpg

Reimund, thanks for posting the images of the new Sturmbock kit I'm excited someone is releasing it in 1/32 scale. I do see a few problems right off. For some reason they have an oval panel on the port side of the fuselage just  behind the cooling flaps. It does not belong there. You are right about the colors. Undersurfaces RLM 76, Upper RLLM 75 and RLM 74 is correct. I don't see the armored windscreen triangular quarter panel it is not on the art work anyway.  Most Sturmbock a/c had them. There is confusion about "Yellow 3". The A-8/R2 as shown is W.Nr. 680718 was never at Barth in May, 1944. It was built on 19 June ,1944 and Fw. Ottfried Baisch was killed in it on 18 July ,1844. There is only one known photo of it and the tactical number is not known and the unit emblem cannot be seen in the photo. Baisch's earlier Sturmbock was "Yellow 3" W.Nr. unknown and was mounted with the Krebs-Gerät rocket but it was not a A-8/R2, it was a standard A-8 with Sturmbock equipment(R7). It did have the unit badge on the Panzerplatten not on the engine cowling. 

Cheers, Jerry

Hello Isar,

Thanks for sharing the photos

My  FW 190 is on way (I paint it whit Willy Moritz scheme)

One question: 

In the sprues I do not see the pieces of the little bulges in undersurface MK´s 108 that is show in REVELL PHOTOS

Can you show us the instruction sheet or say us If you see the pieces?

Regards, Miguel

Miguel,

here are two pics (instruction sheet shows nothing helpful during construction process):

http://20190601-151159.jpg

and after giving a quick shading

http://20190601-151140.jpg

As you can see Revell took as with the former Fw 190 A-8/R11 the wing from the F-8 and inserted the specific parts for the R2.

This creates some imperfections around this new part but a little sanding helps.

I don´t know if the line around the ejector is correct - but sanding flat is no Major task.

HTH

Reimund

Thank Reimund for the photos

What scheme will carry your FW 190?

I think you must done big holes in the wings for the MK 108 barrels

Indeed, Eagle Parts Mk 108 canon fairings, EagleParts cockpit, EagleParts Boss, EagleParts Prop and EagleParts Tail-wheel were all essentials for my build.

Not sure how many AM parts, if any would be necessary on the Revell kit.

And a mighty fine build it was too Brain. I have the thread saved in my faves so i can refer back for info/details for when i start my build :)

On 5/31/2019 at 11:47 AM, thunderbolt1988 said:

e62a991fe175979865304a2da7018013.jpg

Was the Fw 190A-5/U12 ever modified to have the protective Sturmbock armor in addition to its lovely gun packs?

The German innovations made in response to their desperate war situation fascinate me. I mean' look at those guns. It's as if they really wanted to shoot bombers down or something. . .

No the U12 was never added to a Ramjager.

The Ramjager/Sturmbock was already incredibly heavy with the armour making it vulnerable to roving allied fighters.

20 hours ago, HB252 said:

What scheme will carry your FW 190?

I don´t know yet as there are some decal options out there and Eagle Strike has announced another sheet.

I did this one some 15 years ago using Hasegawa and parts made scratch.

http://FW190-rechte-Seite1.jpg

http://FW190-linke-Seite.jpg

http://FW190-rechte-Seite2.jpg

Reimund 

On 6/3/2019 at 1:11 AM, Isar 30/07 said:

I don´t know yet as there are some decal options out there and Eagle Strike has announced another sheet.

I did this one some 15 years ago using Hasegawa and parts made scratch.

Reimund 

Reimund 

wonderful build

On 6/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed, Eagle Parts Mk 108 canon fairings, EagleParts cockpit, EagleParts Boss, EagleParts Prop and EagleParts Tail-wheel were all essentials for my build.

Not sure how many AM parts, if any would be necessary on the Revell kit.

You could possibly whip up a passable 190 just from the bits left over from the original kit.