Revell Fw190 A-8 Sturmbock - any reviews / what's inside etc

nmayhew

Not sure if it’s tariffs from Europe to US. 

Just seems that since the breakup with Hobbyco or who ever the US Revell importer was no new Revell gets into US. 

Freetime, Spruebrothers, or Scalehobbyist don’t have any of the 1/32 stuff in stock any more and don’t show any of the new stuff. 

Paul C 

36 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

Not sure if it’s tariffs from Europe to US. 

Just seems that since the breakup with Hobbyco or who ever the US Revell importer was no new Revell gets into US. 

Freetime, Spruebrothers, or Scalehobbyist don’t have any of the 1/32 stuff in stock any more and don’t show any of the new stuff. 

Paul C 

47 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

No distributor.

That's very odd - is the market saying that the US 1/32 plastic model aeroplane niche is basically too small to bother with?

That makes no sense in a market in excess of 300 million.

8 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

...is the market saying that the US 1/32 plastic model aeroplane niche is basically too small to bother with?

Revell USA was the importer. They went under with Hobbico, and no distributors have stepped up, yet. 

As I understand it, according to the bankruptcy and subsequent sale of Hobbico assets, the new distributor will have to pay off the old Revell USA debt in order to buy the previously exclusive distributorship. 

Even though events seem to bear that out as fact, take all of that information with a huge grain of salt due to being gleaned from the internet. 

The new Revell kits do eventually trickle into the US market through independent importers, just not in any substantial numbers. 

D

Both Megahobby and Sprue Brothers got in batches of some of newer Revell kits like the F/A-18E, 1/48 Beaufighter, 1/144 An225, and many others.  I believe Megahobby had even gotten a restock of the early P-51D kit.  Most of the popular kits sold out fairly quickly, but they are making it over here, and the prices seem “normal”, not jacked up like you might expect if they bought them from distributors in Europe and had them air freighted over here.

Hannants sell kits less VAT for you lucky US customers - 20% off, just for not being European.

That goes some way to covering shipping.

As Jennings said, just get on EBay - You've no import taxes or VAT to worry about, just order it from whomever can get it to your front door the cheapest.

e62a991fe175979865304a2da7018013.jpg

Was the Fw 190A-5/U12 ever modified to have the protective Sturmbock armor in addition to its lovely gun packs?

The German innovations made in response to their desperate war situation fascinate me. I mean' look at those guns. It's as if they really wanted to shoot bombers down or something. . .

Edited by thunderbolt1988

This is not a review, but after a quick research there are some Questions/Critics:

- the glass add-on armour on the canopy was srewed/bolted on. The flat backside of those often called "Blinker" leaves a gap when attached to the curved canopy. Revell did this not very

accurate on the canopy as the Blinker are molded on. Experten might cut the Blinker from the canopy, sand it down and polish it and add it to one of the two canopy parts without the add-

on armour.

- Research on the decal sheet was carried out by AIRDOC. I´m not sure on "yellow 3", if the JG 3 badge was placed correctly on the side armour. According to my reference the badge was

seen on the black cowling or wasn´t added at all. Next are the Colours on topsides: Revell says, RLM 75 and 82 are correct, but I would likely use RLM 74/75 as this a/c was in use in early

summer 1944. Later this year they omitted the white fuselage band and the black cowling…

Having a look at Eagle Productions there is a sheet for Sturmböcke, available in 1/72 and 1/48 only:   http://www.eagle-editions.com/aircraft-decals-for-the-modeler/48/fw-

190s/eaglecals-8-48-fw-190-a-8s-sturmj-ger-part-2.html

"Yellow 3" is pictured using a "Krebs-Gerät" instead of the auxiliary fuel tank. As far as I know, such a "Krebs-Gerät" is not available yet. For those interested in: The "Krebs-Gerät" was a

single 21cm rocket that would fire backwards. The idea was flying though a bomber box and fire this rocket would cause some serious Damage to the bombers due to the blast and/or the

shrapnels so that these damaged bombers are an easy target once the left the cover of the bomber box. The "Krebs-Geräte" had little to no success and made the Fw 190 less

maneuverable so they so little action. Creating a "Krebs-Gerät" should be no Major Task using sheet/plastic profiles and one of the Werfergranten 21 from Edaurd, HPH or Schatton

Modellbau.

According to the instruction of Eaglecals "yellow 3" was a Fw 190 A-8 - no R2. A quick Research couldn´t answer this question....

- If I would build the "Raubautz" I would paint the spinner black using the white spiral which makes much more sense to me than using a red spiral on a white spinner in order to confuse

pilots/bomber gunners in a head-on attack.

Good to see, Revell adds both opportunities.

I´m a lucky man as I could get my Sturmböcke for 29,99 € as an offer on eBay/Germany.

Cheers

Reimund 

When I decided to make Yellow 17, I knew it too was going to require scratching up a Krebs-Gerät.

It can be done, but as you have noted, it does require a bit of research and scratch building.

My rendition is far from perfect, but I think with some work you can probably get a good rendition from the Revell kit with less scratching than I had to do even with the Krebs-Gerät:

20171005_213249-XL.jpg

20171005_213305-XL.jpg