Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

• 5 months later...

OK fellas, I'm pleased to announce that - yet again - this one is back! I've had very little time or opportunity to build models over the last several years, and not only has this been very frustrating for me personally, but I've felt bad for folks like Espen who have been waiting patiently to see the sets they've sent me get built. I've also seen a noticeable atrophying of my modelling skills, which is something else I'm determined to redress. All this is just a long-winded way of saying that I'm attempting to not only get back to the workbench, but make doing so a bit of a priority - or I may as well sell everything off and buy a banana lounge!

So, with that said, and a new spray booth installed and ready, I managed to get the initial marble coat of RLM 65 on undersides of this long-neglected bird:

3PDQCy.jpg

Since I don't plan to heavily weather this model, this is actually pretty close to how I want it looking. I need to do the rest of the fuselage so it roughly matches, and then I'll see how it's looking, and determine how much more paint needs to go on. My aim is to bring this one to a finish with the minimum fuss.

It's good to be back!

Kev

17 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Looking great, Kevin. It's never too late to get back to a shelved build (says the guy with a 15 year old started Spitfire in his stash :lol:).

;)

John

Indeed, John. My plan is to try to clear as much of my Shelf of Doom as possible, and this includes the Fw 190S conversion I started way back in 2009!

Kev

6 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

I'm jealous Kevin!  Now that you're back at the bench I'm at least 8 months away from getting back to mine.  :(

Nice smooth paint on that belly of a rare subject.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. I also have the GMF Buchon conversion in the stash, and will use it to produce a legit Spanish Buchon, in contrast to this one, which will be a movie bird.

Kev

Somehow I've managed to get into the hobby room 2 days in a row, now. It's a miracle! And in doing so, I managed to finish the RLM 65 layering on the fuselage (Gunze Aqueous for the record). I've discovered some sanding marks and a ghost seam that need dealing with, so I'll attend to those next and repaint the relevant areas. Then it's time to start working on the upper surface colours. I think they call this progress!

xTGqoR.jpg

Kev

Thanks, fellas. I'm pleased to say that I was able to get into the hobby room and attend to this build for a third day straight today, but didn't manage to snap any photos. Maybe tomorrow! Today's efforts revolved around getting the photo-etched cover for the radiator exit ramp fitted, which turned out to be quite fiddly. I ended up installing a small styrene shelf on the forward edge to give it something to bond to and rest on. I then flooded the perimeter gaps with some thinned Gator's Grip glue, and cleaned up the excess with moistened cotton buds. I also managed to fill (but not yet sand) a prominent seam on the front of the tail, which I somehow completely missed in the earlier construction sequences.

A bit of a nothing update, for sure, but it helps keep my nascent momentum going, and I almost feel like I'm having a daily check-in with my parole officer! Hopefully a more substantial update tomorrow, and this time with pictures!

Kev

Well done Kevin, nice to see you back in the saddle again. :thumbsup:

Great work so far - nice finish. I have never really been a Bf 109 man by and large, but now that my modelling interests have now strayed from Greek and Swedish aircraft (and airliners) into Finnish, Norwegian and Danish aircraft as well, I may well look for a suitable Bf 109 and Finnish Air Force markings at some future point in time!

Cheers

Derek

OK, I'm back with an even smaller update than yesterday's, but it does at least come with photos!

Today's tiny bit of work did reveal a litany of minor imperfections that I'll need to address before proceeding any further. The modeller in me who desires to build more models wanted to let them go, while the modeller in me who desires to build better models just couldn't. Still, I won't be beating it to death, and plan to let it go once I can no longer notice them!

jpAJiE.jpg

U5haWF.jpg

0RBssi.jpg

TLrquw.jpg

teYHIg.jpg

I should probably look at reducing those seams at the tailplane roots, too! The other thing that becomes obvious when looking at these photos is just how dusty and contaminated my work environment is, which is odd given that I normally keep the door closed when I'm not in there. :shrug:

Kev