Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas - but don't get too excited yet! I still haven't done more than what you see in my last post. But I've just been handed a new air ambulance conversion for the Tiger Moth to review and build, so I think a new greenfield project such as this might be just what I need. Hopefully, it'll get me motivated to tackle all my SoD projects!

Kev

• 8 months later...

So, after a stupidly-long time away from this build, I'm really pleased to finally be able to provide an update to it - however insignificant! The tailplanes are now on, along with the support struts:

uOM3Ri.jpg

The strut attachment points are a bit gappy, but since the real aircraft was a movie bird, they were essentially props anyway, but I'll still tidy them up for a better scale appearance.

I've pretty much got a full airframe now, so I can move on to the primer stage soon. Yippee!

Kev

• 1 year later...

Just a quick note to say that, after yet another year has flown by, I've finally hauled this one back onto the bench again, and once I've reoriented myself with the state of it, I'll get some progress made and post an update. I promise!

Kev

I promised an update, so here it is! I decided that before I could get much further with this build, I really needed to give the entire airframe a coat of primer. That way, I can see what additional surface prep is required, and get a better impression of the general state of the model. Here it is a with a couple of light coats of Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black:

pVvH49.jpg

The photo belies just how much crap had accrued on the surface, despite me giving it what I thought was a good wipe-down prior to spraying. The wing roots still need some attention, too. My next step will be to give the entire model a good rub down and polish, to get its surface into paintable condition. Then I'll attend to whatever flaws I can find, and move on from there.

When I started this build, it was to showcase the then-new conversion on behalf of the vendor (Attitude Aviation/Buchon Scale Models), and my original plan was to build it OOB using the kit schemes and decals. But that horse has well and truly bolted, and my preference is actually to build it as a service aircraft, rather than a movie prop. I'd have to repaint the prop, and probably pull off the tailplane supports, but movie scheme idea never really grabbed me. I haven't fully decided on the change yet, but while I mull it over, can anyone point me in the direction of some possibilities?

Kev

That looks rather splendid, Kev - despite the niggles you describe. 

If you are going for an operational version, those blue Spanish AF ones are just lovely. Not sure about decals though, and if memory serves correctly you'll need to add some wing fences.

Tom

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That looks rather splendid, Kev - despite the niggles you describe. 

If you are going for an operational version, those blue Spanish AF ones are just lovely. Not sure about decals though, and if memory serves correctly you'll need to add some wing fences.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. IIRC, there's a version of this conversion that actually provides the wing fences, but I'm pretty sure there are none in my box. If switching gets too complicated, then I'll just stay the course.

Kev

37 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

So weird they would install tail plane struts on a buchon back in 1969 just for a movie.  Looking forward to this one Kev.  

Well, they needed it to pass for an Emil, and perhaps for audiences back then, the tailplane struts were more visually significant than that honking Merlin nose!

Kev