Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Being a weekend, I've been able to devote a little more time to this build, and consequently was able to get the nose parts glued on, along with the wings. I now have an almost complete airframe:

bKsODL.jpg

I had to shim the forward part of the upper cowl piece, and there's no way that the profile here is ever going to match Vincent's recommendation of slight dip in this area. In fact, the rear part of the nose is ever so slightly bulged at the rear.

So, now I have a whole lot of gap-filling to do. The gaps at the wing roots are especially annoying:

Chx3UF.jpg

Xd2In3.jpg

Nothing some Milliput and super glue can't handle, but I'm in for some serious sessions of fill/sand in the days ahead. Hopefully I can get the first round of Milliput in today (or maybe Apoxie Sculpt). I think some of the joins could do with some CA reinforcement first, though.

The other thing I did was finish painting and assembling the prop:

7CiYaH.jpg

The red is from the Australian-made SMS line, sprayed straight on to the unprepared resin - no primer, or even cleaning the surface. An amazing finish for no effort (other than some tedious masking!).

Here's my happy Buchon with its Rudolph nose:

quCq9h.jpg

Thanks everyone for checking in!

Kev

20 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice work fitting the resin nose! Is the fit still as good on the bottom as you showed previously?

Alain

Not quite, unfortunately. In order to make the fit at the top acceptable, I had to introduce a small step at the lower joint. It's not huge, but will still need to be dealt with. Somehow, the overall height of the fuselage turned out slightly smaller than that of the new nose.

Kev

Been lurking on this build for some time.  Finally got my act together to chime in.

Really great stuff and kudos on beating those demons into submission.  Always fun to see a trouble fulled build come together.

Look forward to see some paint!  Ok, bravo on the prop work. 

• 11 months later...

Well, after almost exactly a year, I've finally been able to return to the workbench, and this build. I celebrated wildly by gluing 4 parts together:

7pxKYy.jpg

The black staining is the remnants of a wash I used to check where I might need to restore the tread lines on the tyres. It didn't work that well because my chosen commercial wash product had all-but dried up in the bottle! I might have to audit and replenish a few supplies if I plan to glue any more parts together.

See you all next year!

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, after almost exactly a year, I've finally been able to return to the workbench, and this build. I celebrated wildly by gluing 4 parts together:

7pxKYy.jpg

The black staining is the remnants of a wash I used to check where I might need to restore the tread lines on the tyres. It didn't work that well because my chosen commercial wash product had all-but dried up in the bottle! I might have to audit and replenish a few supplies if I plan to glue any more parts together.

See you all next year!

Kev

Nice to hear I'm not the only one who celebrates by gluing a few random bits together before going on hiatus again! 

Just now, matto21 said:

Nice to hear I'm not the only one who celebrates by gluing a few random bits together before going on hiatus again! 

Honestly, I think I'm going to have to pull out a Bandai Star Wars kit just to rekindle my mojo, as none of my SoD builds are doing it for me right now.

Kev