Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Do be careful with that. I do a lot of canopy masking with BMF, too, and found out the hard way that BMF will stick to the Future (or any other gloss paint) a lot tighter than it does to bare plastic. And, the longer it is on there, the harder it will be to get it back off cleanly. 

Cheers,

D

Thanks, D. You're actually the second person to mention this to me in the last day or so. I haven't had that experience so far, though I don't always dip my canopies. We'll see how it goes!

Kev

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've never seen that particular scheme before, though I'd heard that the filmmakers repurposed them to represent all kinds of aircraft. I have to agree with Brian, though!

Kev

In '50 or' 60 there was a polish-russian movie "Fighter pilot". Spitfire was "starred" by repainted Yak 9. I don't know what wrong you see in polish Buchon:D

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Definitely not the Polish part that is wrong in my eye at least...............

Its the fact that its a  Spanish built plane designed to imitate a German plane, made up to look like a British plane.  

Indeed , so cool , isn't it ?:)

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Definitely not the Polish part that is wrong in my eye at least...............

Its the fact that its a  Spanish built plane designed to imitate a German plane, made up to look like a British plane.  

Or even more "out there"...a Spanish built plane designed to imitate a German plane, made up to look like a British plane in Polish squadron markings...heavily weathered. :)

Richard

Once again I'm here wishing I could report more progress than I am, but at least I've got the canopy installed now:

TBYVIW.jpg

I installed the individual pieces separately, working forward from the rear, and I somewhat regret this now, as each part doesn't mate perfectly with the ones it attaches to. I suspect I introduced a slight irregularity at the rear when dealing with the seam on the sloping rear section. I also had to file away some material on the bottom of the armoured head rest, as it wouldn't sit over the seat belt attachment buckles otherwise. Now I wish I had joined each section to the other off the model, and ensured they were all straight and perfectly aligned. The problems are only slight, though, and shouldn't spoil the look of the model unless you know to look for them. They're really not even visible in the photo. I will have to seal the joins with something prior to painting, however!

And the obligatory test-fit of the nose:

nlEcTH.jpg

Still some major troubles ahead with that upper cowling part, but my first task is to shorten it by about 1mm so that it will fit in the gap. After that, the trickier issue of matching the height at each end will have to be tackled. I reckon once all that is sorted out, things should proceed pretty quickly.

Kev

On 8/7/2019 at 3:31 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Man, that is just so wrong on many levels

Sent me for a loop!

it was seeing the letters spelling “green” written with red ink in a foreign language...but I am a rather simple man.

the model on the other hand is looking great!

So, the Dremel made short work of modifying the upper cowl panel to fit like it needs to. In addition to taking off around 1mm from the forward edge, I also heavily thinned the front and back lips from underneath:

OUZmIq.jpg

This helped the panel fit over the top of the instrument panel to the rear, and the locating lip on the nose at the front. Here's the result of the test-fit:

HSyzg1.jpg

QXsZuS.jpg

This loose tape-together doesn't really reveal all the areas that will need attention, but at least shows that I've now got things in the ballpark, and can move to permanently attaching the nose parts. The upper cowl part will need a bit of shimming, and all areas will need a dose of Milliput, but I'm much happier with it now.

And so is the Buchon:

BNnJEO.jpg

Kev

Guest Vincent

remember that the cowl before the windshield should not be aligned with the top engine cowl - they are at an angle of each other, due to the Merlin being aligned differently from the Hispano engine. It's faint but very visible :

Hispano_Buchon_HA.1112MIL_10+-_(G-BWUE)_

V

Edited by Vincent