Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

It seems like the longest time since I've been able to work on a model, and this is my attempt to claw my way back to bench and at least try to get something built. Having lost my mojo due to the extended break, none of my started projects have much appeal to me at the moment, and having promised Espen I'd build this one after reviewing it, I decided it would be a great project to get back in to the swing of things.

So, what's the project, then? I'll be using Hasegawa's Bf 109G-6 kit, and combining it with the Attitude Aviation As Hispano HA-1112-M1L (Buchcon) conversion, to build "Red 3" from the movie Battle of Britain:

iXnmC0.jpg

For more details about the conversion set, check out my review from back in January this year:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2177

I haven't cut any plastic yet, but am hoping do so tomorrow. Before we start I want to thank both Kent Strickland and William Lawlor for their efforts in supplying me with a Hasegawa Bf 109G-6 kit, and also Espen Tjetland of Attitude Aviation As for the conversion set.

Hopefully some actual modelling in the next update!

Kev

I promised an update with modelling content within 24 hours, and here I am 22 hours later with exactly that! I have to confess that I haven't really achieve all that much, however, but it is at least something.

The major element of this conversion is of course the new nose, which requires removing the corresponding sections from the kit fuselage halves. Below is a photo of the terrific one-piece resin replacement nose, which I borrowed from the review:

1ObGGw.jpg

My first task was to remove the substantial casting block, and happily the cut locations are quite well defined, which makes the process easier. It's a tedious process, but it's important to proceed slowly. I used my JLC razor saw in a stroking fashion to initiate and then deepen the cuts, with any tricky bits being handled by a #11 blade. Here's the result:

DwuAm2.jpg

Still a little bit of refining to do, but it's basically ready for business.

The next task, and probably the most important one of the project, is to remove the corresponding sections from the kit fuselage halves. I used the same technique outlined above for removing the casting block from the nose piece, but the instructions here a slightly vague, and I managed to misread the supplied photo, and remove too much material from the forward wing root section:

NJLQIr.jpg

In the photo you can see that I've glued a section of styrene strip into place to compensate for the material I removed in error. Once this has set strong, I'll set about shaping it to fit the corresponding cut-out in the resin nose. I'll also be more careful doing the other fuselage half!

So, that's as far as I got before running out of time. I'm slowly starting to feel like I'm shaking off the rust! For the next update I aim to have the other fuselage half cut down, and the mating surfaces on all parts fitting nicely together. It's really important to go slow here and get this part right, as the success of the project rests on it.

Kev

3 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Do you get rockets for the Spanish Air Force version? That’s the one I’m interested in getting. 

No, this conversion is strictly designed to represent the various "movie star" versions of the Buchon, though you could paint it up any way you like if you could find or create the appropriate decals or masks. I do believe that Attitude Aviation is planning a revised version to represent the legitimate military variants, however. Everything in the box is covered in my review:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2177

Kev

Time for another update! Things are progressing more slowly than I would like, but I have now at least got both fuselage halves modified and ready to accept the new nose:

Z6flQX.jpg

Test fitting has reveal that I didn't do the greatest job on the port side, with a gap opening up towards the bottom of the vertical join:

6yzVvd.jpg

I'll shim this with some styrene strip. Check out the level of detail included on the resin nose, however - those panel latches!

I'll need to remove the two umbrella attachment pips under the cockpit eventually, too.

OK, more soon!

Kev