HONG KONG MODELS 1/32 Lancaster MK III Dambuster

Robthepom

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

For mine ... I thought the early news was that the WNW kit was going to be comparable in price to the HKM kit ... so we have recent news that it's going to come out at a lot more now??

I've been given a retail figure by a prominent hobby shop proprietor here in Melbourne, and it's significantly more than their retail cost for the HKM kit. Perhaps it will be cheaper elsewhere, or perhaps things will change, but I think expecting the Wingnut Wings kit to be close to the HKM one in price is more wishful thinking than hard-nosed reality.

Kev

On 5/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I've been given a retail figure by a prominent hobby shop proprietor here in Melbourne, and it's significantly more than their retail cost for the HKM kit. Perhaps it will be cheaper elsewhere, or perhaps things will change, but I think expecting the Wingnut Wings kit to be close to the HKM one in price is more wishful thinking than hard-nosed reality.

Kev

Well ... when it was first announced ... that was my thought too ... I mean it's not like their WWI kits are anywhere near cheap ...

These guys operate at the Tamiya-esque / Zoukei -Mura end of the spectrum.

But I distinctly remember that someone representing WNW (who? I can't remember) commenting that the RRP they were aiming at would be comparable to the HKM kit.

I just thought: Well if that's the case,  I might finally get a WNW kit and see what all the fuss is about ... since I won't ever get a WWI subject.

Hey ... If the WNW kit is significantly more expensive ... it just means I get the HKM offerings instead.

TBH I'm still not 100% sold on the oil canning of the WNW version anyway ...

Rog :)

On 5/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

I remember the good old days, when WNW sold single seater kits for $59 - with free air shipping from literally the other side of the world -  and £1 bought you $1.60, so a kit cost less than £40 delivered. And Parcelforce hadn't cottoned on to their "£8 plus 20%" VAT scam. So a £200 "investment" brought five WNW single-seater kits to your doorstep.

Now, Wingnut Wings cost roughly what you expect such a high quality kit to cost. 

Which is why I think the WNW Lanc to cost around £600 in the UK.

(Having said that, the kit will be subject to analysis, backed up by copious amounts of documentation, that WNW have largely been immune to up until know, because WWI documentation is very, very sparse, especially in colour. Any mistakes will be ruthlessly highlighted, especially at £600. This will be the first time WIngnut Wings will be judged in this way, whereas all the other kit manufacturers have been savaged for mistakes for years. It could be interesting....)

The HK Dam Busters kit is now available for pre-order from Free Time Hobbies.  Price is US$350.  Kit will be available in about three weeks.  Before I realized what I was doing, I took the plunge.  But now I'm glad I did.

2 hours ago, AlanG said:

wow £600. That's 15 Hasegawa Fw190 kits. Not sure i could justify spending that on one model. Now 15 wurger kits would be nice though lol

I honestly think Revell's modern 1/32 kits - Me 262, P-51, Spitfire's, Ju-88, He-111, Fw-190's - are bloody superb value.

2 minutes ago, Propwash said:

The HK Dam Busters kit is now available for pre-order from Free Time Hobbies.  Price is US$350.  Kit will be available in about three weeks.  Before I realized what I was doing, I took the plunge.  But now I'm glad I did.

Hannants don't show it, yet they show both WNW Lanc's, even though they will be released next year.

Then again, it shows Hannants have 30+ HK Lanc's in stock, so perhaps they just don't think the Dambusters version will sell?

3 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I honestly think Revell's modern 1/32 kits - Me 262, P-51, Spitfire's, Ju-88, He-111, Fw-190's - are bloody superb value.

Certainly are. I'd love another (or two) Ju88 A4 kits an i cannot wait for their Sturmbock kit to come out

On 5/2/2019 at 5:33 AM, DeanKB said:

I'd be personally staggered if the WNW kit was anywhere near £350.

Eight years of development costs to recover and a limited production run, with WNW using the best of everything, from plastic to instructions to artwork to boxes, should see the price in the £450-£500 range.

I'm usually wrong, which is reassuring.

I think it will cost a reasonable premium above their previously most expensive kits, like the Felixstowe.

I'll guess $350 US, so maybe 270 pounds on the high side.

No way will it cost 500 pounds or $650 US. 

There is probably almost no market for a static plastic model kit in that price range.

Zero sales won't help recoup all those development costs! 

I do think it will be quite expensive no matter how you cut it, however!  

19 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I think it will cost a reasonable premium above their previously most expensive kits, like the Felixstowe.

I'll guess $350 US, so maybe 270 pounds on the high side.

No way will it cost 500 pounds or $650 US. 

There is probably almost no market for a static plastic model kit in that price range.

Zero sales won't help recoup all those development costs! 

I do think it will be quite expensive no matter how you cut it, however!  

You think it'll be cheaper than HK's Lancaster?!

6 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I think it's been pretty conclusively shown that WnW isn't about making money, or probably even about breaking even.  No clue what the price tag will be on it, but I doubt WnW really cares about making money on it.

Whilst I agree that WNW are pretty much immune to the drive to make profits - no Fokker Dr.I, no BE.2, no DH.4, no SPAD's, no Neiuport etc, etc, I don't think they are a charity. They increased prices, admitted that the Gotha was priced far too low, they got rid of free shipping, and priced the Felixstowe at $269 plus shipping - £270 with VAT in the UK. That's not a price an organisation that doesn't care about making money sets. Not many manufacturers price in that kind of stratosphere. Not many at all.

• 2 weeks later...