HONG KONG MODELS 1/32 Lancaster MK III Dambuster

Robthepom

22 minutes ago, timvkampen said:

Although a lot here 'fear' the WNW may be more expensive, I look at it from the angle that you won't need to buy all the additional upgrade sets to correct all the flaws or improve the base kit. All the AM purchases cost a lot, and I mean a lot, of money.

Only if you're interested in seeking 'perfection'. If like me you are not, then why would i spend a shed load more on a kit that i couldn't either do justice on or afford to?

Like Revell with their 'cheaper' offerings. Sometimes the most expensive just doesn't matter. I sometimes wonder if buying WNW kits (or being seen to) is just a status thing with some modellers. And before someone takes the goat with that comment. It is NOT directed at anyone on here. Just a personal observation/thought.

Edited by AlanG

1 hour ago, timvkampen said:

Although a lot here 'fear' the WNW may be more expensive, I look at it from the angle that you won't need to buy all the additional upgrade sets to correct all the flaws or improve the base kit. All the AM purchases cost a lot, and I mean a lot, of money.

WIth WNW, you get what you pay for....  If I was crazy enough to purchase a 1/32 scale kit of this beast, a few hundred more (assuming it would even be that much) would be well worth it, given the significant increase in quality that WNW will provide.

Off topic as usual for me, I wonder if the clear fuselage option will be available as HKM did with a few of theirs?

oddly I have no interest in the dambuster version but would very likely go for a bomber version (if cost not prohibitive) 

6 hours ago, chrish said:

Off topic as usual for me, I wonder if the clear fuselage option will be available as HKM did with a few of theirs?

oddly I have no interest in the dambuster version but would very likely go for a bomber version (if cost not prohibitive) 

As far as I understand it, there'll be no more clear fuselage parts in subsequent Lancaster releases, as the initial run of them was produced prior to all the surface detail being added to the moulds (1500 sets I believe). The moulds were then altered to add those details, meaning no more clear parts - or at least, not without the surface detail intended only for the opaque parts.

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As far as I understand it, there'll be no more clear fuselage parts in subsequent Lancaster releases, as the initial run of them was produced prior to all the surface detail being added to the moulds (1500 sets I believe). The moulds were then altered to add those details, meaning no more clear parts - or at least, not without the surface detail intended only for the opaque parts.

Kev

Well....I'm the lucky one then!

The kit I have has both grey and clear fuselage halves...Now the dilemma, which ones to use!?  Would be quite a thing to have a clear fuselage and a full crew in there...Only one correct answer, gotta build two kits! 

Perhaps it's just me but I'm having a bit of trouble with the comments that HK kit will end up near the price of the WNW when you take into account all the AM needed to bring it up to the WNW level?

What AM ?

The couple of builds I've seen didn't use any AM.

Since then we have the Airscale IP released which would probably be used in the WNW anyway by most people as well as maybe a set of brass barrels for the 303's as brass is always far crisper than plastic - so good for both kits.

So what AM is needed on the HK ?
Also how can it be "brought up to the level" of the WNW and with what AM when that kit hasn't even been released?

Lot's of speculation and supposition including the belief the WNW won't need any AM either.

Looking at the amount of AM used on many of the WNW builds on here, I don't think it's safe to say the difference in price will be nullified by AM on the HK (not that there is any anyway).

:)

25 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Also how can it be "brought up to the level" of the WNW and with what AM when that kit hasn't even been released?

Well, we've seen the HK kit and given WNW's track record regarding quality, I think we can safely say that their Lanc will surpass the HK release.    HK released a decent product but like it or not, WNW is just at a different level.  Of course you will undoubtedly pay a premium for this quality, it's up to the modeler to decide if it's worth it.  Many "It looks close enough for me" types will undoubtedly be quite happy with the HK release, I'm guessing many others are content to wait a few months for WNW's product, which (unless WNW makes a very uncharacteristic blunder), should be an outstanding kit in every regard.  Either way, I'd say we are truly blessed to have this choice to make. 

25 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Looking at the amount of AM used on many of the WNW builds on here, I don't think it's safe to say the difference in price will be nullified by AM on the HK (not that there is any anyway).

WIth regard to the amount of aftermarket products being used on current WNW kits, the vast majority of AM used on those kits consists of decals and turnbuckles. I wouldn't say those builds are dripping with AM bits.   Decals are simply a discretionary purchase to get a set of markings that jump out at you.  The rigging bits (in the opinion of WNW) aren't even necessary.   What other AM do you commonly see on most builds?  Maybe some seatbelts?  

17 minutes ago, John1 said:

Well, we've seen the HK kit and given WNW's track record regarding quality, I think we can safely say that their Lanc will surpass the HK release.    HK released a decent product but like it or not, WNW is just at a different level.  Of course you will undoubtedly pay a premium for this quality, it's up to the modeler to decide if it's worth it.  Many "It looks close enough for me" types will undoubtedly be quite happy with the HK release, I'm guessing many others are content to wait a few months for WNW's product, which (unless WNW makes a very uncharacteristic blunder), should be an outstanding kit in every regard.  Either way, I'd say we are truly blessed to have this choice to make. 

To say the HK kit is popular amongst the "it looks close enough" fraternity implies it's flawed/has issues.

Bearing in mind the WNW hasn't been released I'd be interested to see how and where it will surpass the HK ?

My main issue is with the talk of all this "expensive" aftermarket to bring it up to the WNW level.

What aftermarket and what prices............:lol:

As regards WNW AM just one example here (no criticism of the builder whatsoever, just an example of what can be done)

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/80074-first-of-a-fokker-pair/

Why is so much AM available for the WNW kits if they don't need it?

Edited by PhilB

6 minutes ago, PhilB said:

As regards WNW AM just one example here (no criticism of the builder whatsoever, just an example of what can be done)

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/80074-first-of-a-fokker-pair/

Why is so much AM available for the WNW kits if they don't need it?

That's a pretty small sample size to prove your point Phil. 

For every WNW build that goes this route, I can provide links to dozens more that have zero aftermarket or at best decals or turnbuckles.    I'd go so far to say that 90% of the builds shown on this site fall into that category.   

To answer your question with question - if WNW kits apparently need all this aftermarket, how come most modelers don't seem inclined to use any of it on their builds?

Anyway, we are running in circles.  The WNW Lanc will be out at some point in the next few months (hopefully).   Let's see what the reviews conclude on which kit is superior.   My money is on the folks from NZ.  

2 minutes ago, John1 said:

That's a pretty small sample size to prove your point Phil. 

For every WNW build that goes this route, I can provide links to dozens more that have zero aftermarket or at best decals or turnbuckles.    I'd go so far to say that 90% of the builds shown on this site fall into that category.   

Anyway, we are running in circles.  The WNW Lanc will be out at some point in the next few months (hopefully).   Let's see what the reviews conclude on which kit is superior.   My money is on the folks from NZ.  

I don't need to provide examples to prove my point John.

But I did as many on here know that whatever the quality of a kit some people will still throw all the AM in the book at it.

As you say, the WNW will be out eventually and people can make up their own minds.

But I think it important that people comment to challenge the speculation which has been made much of which has no evidence to support it at all.

;)

On 5/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, John1 said:

Does that mean that lesser mortals that cannot afford the WNW Lanc should only have to aspire to a obviously un-buildable, flawed Lanc from HKM? And yes my tongue is firmly in my cheek when i make that comment.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, John1 said:

WIth regard to the amount of aftermarket products being used on current WNW kits, the vast majority of AM used on those kits consists of decals and turnbuckles. I wouldn't say those builds are dripping with AM bits.   Decals are simply a discretionary purchase to get a set of markings that jump out at you.  The rigging bits (in the opinion of WNW) aren't even necessary.   What other AM do you commonly see on most builds?  Maybe some seatbelts?  

Your first point - "looks close enough to me" - highlights, for me, what a small subsection of the modelling community we are. I'd guess that HK sold enough to make a decent profit. That's what they do - make a profit. They don't need to go to the Nth degree in accuracy to do so, they just need to produce a kit that does, indeed, "look close enough".

Your second point, concerning WNW - on my WNW builds, I tend to use Pheon decals, Aviattic lozenge or fabric decals, Master, Eduard, Gaspatch or Aber machine guns, 2lb fishing line & EZ-Line for rigging, HGW details sets or seatbelts, Rexx exhausts, numerous Taurus bits for the engine, including a complete replacement engine sometimes & brass tubing for turnbuckles (gaspatch looks too big to me). This is not untypical from talking to other WNW modellers. The point is that any kit, regardless of price, can be improved with AM. Tamiya's Mossie, for instance, has so much Eduard AM that it's scary. Same with their Corsair - new engine, new cockpit, new guns, new gunbay, new decals, new prop, new spinner, new wheels, new wheel wells, new exterior PE set, new interior PE set, new undercarriage, new cowling & new cockpit display - damn close to a new aircraft!

I agree WNW will make a superior Lancaster. It's what they do. But the price will be just too damned expensive for many, many modellers. I'm sure their production run will be fairly small, to reflect the limited demand for a £500 1/32 Lancaster.

23 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Does that mean that lesser mortals that cannot afford the WNW Lanc should only have to aspire to a obviously un-buildable, flawed Lanc from HKM? And yes my tongue is firmly in my cheek when i make that comment.

Why yes Alan, you got it exactly right!    And yes, my tongue is also firmly in cheek. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, PhilB said:

Perhaps it's just me but I'm having a bit of trouble with the comments that HK kit will end up near the price of the WNW when you take into account all the AM needed to bring it up to the WNW level?

What AM ?

The couple of builds I've seen didn't use any AM.

Since then we have the Airscale IP released which would probably be used in the WNW anyway by most people as well as maybe a set of brass barrels for the 303's as brass is always far crisper than plastic - so good for both kits.

So what AM is needed on the HK ?

Lot's of speculation and supposition including the belief the WNW won't need any AM either.

I was thinking the same thing ... my first AM "go-to" is always metal barrels or tubing (Master, Aber ... take your pick!) ... 

As for the IP ... personal taste as always I guess ... but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of a fair bit of work ... and cost ... for something that has the glazing covering and distorting the view anyway? ... It's not an 'open' cockpit like a fighter A/C. I guess on something this big you might look at G-Factor landing gear (if and when available) and AM (resin) wheels? - an obvious area that stands out ... or AM masks / decals?

In other words ... Pretty much exactly the same gear I'd look at with the WNW kit anyway.

For mine ... I thought the early news was that the WNW kit was going to be comparable in price to the HKM kit ... so we have recent news that it's going to come out at a lot more now??

Rog :)