KH 1/48 RF-101C Voodoo

b757captain

Hi gents,

When KH came out with the F-101C I hoped they were planning the -B and RF versions (not a big fan of the -A and -Cs). I got both the -B and RF when they first came out. I've always had a soft spot for the Voodoo, partly because my very first ever model kit was a 1/72 scale Voodoo. I've finished both of them so first up is the RF-101C.

The kit is pretty typical for KH, fit mostly good, instructions so-so, detail hit-or-miss on a few areas, but overall with time and patience they build up to good looking airplanes. Some of the issues (both good and bad) are common to the entire series, but for the RF it fell down mainly to the intakes. KH molded the intakes for the entire series to match the F-101B but they are shaped different for the RF (and the -A and -C). There are several really good threads on other boards on how to fix this so I won't get into the details. I think they came out ok. Otherwise it was just test fit, test fit, test fit and eventually I had it.

Built OOB, the only AM is the Eduard cockpit set. Paint is Mr. Color lightened to simulate time in the SEA sun. I didn't go overboard with weathering, just light washes. Decals are from the kit, though I would not recommend using the canopy frame decals - they don't fit worth a darn so I painted mine. On to the pics:

Ir2bpUj.jpg

dClVYJq.jpg

ePEuxlx.jpg

0ZI3Mgc.jpg

FhgsMRO.jpg

riBdqJb.jpg

More pics to come, thanks for looking!

Mark

15 hours ago, b757captain said:

...I would really really like to see the F-101 done in 1/32, along with the F-111. I could then declare life to be complete!

Cheers,

Mark

Ditto (although I'd add a couple of others) and a great job! 

Tony 

On 5/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, quang said:

What an elegant build!

The photo Voodoo is a classy lady and you have done her full justice. I also have one on the way and I hope mine will be as alluring as yours.

Cheers,

Quang

I've seen yours on your thread over at BM. You are working on a masterpiece! I just wanted a Voodoo on the shelf :P

On 5/21/2019 at 12:28 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Wow, that looks great!  I bought that kit, and it's still in the shipping box.  When I found out how badly they 'd screwed the pooch on it and how much it would take to fix it I lost interest.  You did a great job with it!

J

Thanks Jennings!

On 5/21/2019 at 11:27 AM, Tony T said:

Ditto (although I'd add a couple of others) and a great job! 

Tony 

Thanks Tony! Yep, I'd add a few more to the list too but I'm trying to not be too greedy! 

On 5/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, AlbertD said:

I love the century series jets and yours is a thing of beauty. I've looked at this kit and you convinced me to pick one up for sure.

Thanks Albert! If you want to see a great Voodoo, check out Quang's build on BritModeler. He's doing a fantastic job on his and lots of tips to improve the kit.

• 1 month later...