what if we strongly encouraged WnW to tool a B-17G?

Thunderbolt

I wonder how many kits of a WNW 1/32 B-17 LSP members would buy?

10?

100?

1000?

As it's such a small niche & relatively expensive (relative to pretty much anything LSP), I'd guess it would be in the very low 3 figures.

Having said that, I'd not buy one, so I'm already unbalancing the sample group.

I'd avoid it because the Lanc, Gotha, Gotha UWD, AEG, Felixstowe, Ju-88, Ju-188, Ju-388, He-111, B-24, B-25, Mossie, HP O/400, Ki-45, P-61, He-219, Bf-110, Me-262 & P-38 are already forming an orderly multi-engine queue.

Edited by DeanKB

I'd encourage anyone that has a mind to do so to drop a note to a manufacturer, requesting a certain kit or kits. No guarantee that it'll ever happen, but it never hurts to try. I suggested to Revell that a 1:72 type XXI U-Boat would be fantastic; they thanked me for the idea and said they'd certainly pass it along to the marketing folks. Time will tell.

When does a model kit become too big?

I built a 1:16 Panzer IV and actually didn't like it as display piece when it was finished.  Haven't bought another 1:16 armor subject since, despite many to choose from now.  

It reminded me of my sister's Barbie Camper Van toy as a kid in the '70s.  It just doesn't look right to me, even if I generally feel that 1:35 scale is too small for most armor modeling subjects, particularly WWII vehicles which are smaller than modern vehicles.

I wouldn't want a 1/32 B-17 sitting around; it's just too big.   It loses that "scale replica little jewel" characteristic at a certain size, if you know what I mean.

I too have petitioned WNW for a 1/32 Spitfire, Mk I variety, when they announced the Lancaster. The reply was very polite, along the lines of 'thank you for your suggestion, but we still have too many WW1 subjects still to do.' 

We DO have the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain coming - :rolleyes: 

But I wouldn't hold my breath either; I think we'll get a 1/32 pink pig with wings before something NOT WW1.

PR

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

I built a 1:16 Panzer IV and actually didn't like it as display piece when it was finished.  Haven't bought another 1:16 armor subject since, despite many to choose from now.  

It reminded me of my sister's Barbie Camper Van toy as a kid in the '70s.  It just doesn't look right to me, even if I generally feel that 1:35 scale is too small for most armor modeling subjects, particularly WWII vehicles which are smaller than modern vehicles.

I wouldn't want a 1/32 B-17 sitting around; it's just too big.   It loses that "scale replica little jewel" characteristic at a certain size, if you know what I mean.

Interesting point. I too see that models of a certain size do seem at times to lose the modeling "feel". Part of that, I rather imagine, is the  ongoing relationship to size that we typically expect to see and feel is appropriate for a model. I also expect that a lot of it has to do with how the model is displayed.

For instance, my 1:16 T-34 will be on a base that displays a partially destroyed town, giving it a "feel" that should make it fit into my concept of what a model should look like, regardless of scale, and will not be relative to the other 1:35 stuff I have.

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Have to agree 1/32 IMO is almost museum scale. A 100 cm wingspan is not a miniature.  That said 1/32 is a very good scale for fighters 

If they were going to do another 4 engine bomber (which they won’t, I think) then I’d vote for a B24 as an alternative to the HB offering.

Edited by Pup7309

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'd encourage anyone that has a mind to do so to drop a note to a manufacturer, requesting a certain kit or kits. No guarantee that it'll ever happen, but it never hurts to try. I suggested to Revell that a 1:72 type XXI U-Boat would be fantastic; they thanked me for the idea and said they'd certainly pass it along to the marketing folks. Time will tell.

Oh yes, a type XXI!!!

38 minutes ago, cib2265 said:

But they've already made the best WW2 bomber in 1/32, why do anything else? 

:D

Now, a WnW Spitfire Mk I/II in Battle of Britain markings would sell like hotcakes....

Not another Spitfire!  Haven’t they baked that one too many times already?

Meh, I wouldn't build one.  I say that as a huge B-17 fan.  I'm working on the HKM kit now and I know I'd never do another B-17 again.  Just too big.  

Give me a B-26, A-20, A-26 or P-38 if we are going to be dreaming of new 1/32 offerings.

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Not another Spitfire!  Haven’t they baked that one too many times already?

Not a Mark I or II Spitfire - or even a Mark V. 

There does not exist a high quality 1/32 early Merlin Spitfire on the market. There's the new soap plastic Revell or the inaccurate Hobby Boss or the ancient stuff from Hasegawa. 

A Battle of Britain Spitfire would be an extremely popular subject for the high quality manufacturers like Tamiya, Wingnut Wings, Zoukei-Mura et al, and would sell more than any multiengine bomber.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:22 AM, DeanKB said:

I never thought I'd write this, but I feel we don't need another 1/32 4 engined bomber at the moment.

What about a Halifax to complete the big 4/4's of the ETO?  I would get a Halifax in preference to the Lanc any day.

53 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

What about a Halifax to complete the big 4/4's of the ETO?  I would get a Halifax in preference to the Lanc any day.

I'm another for a Halifax, as mentioned earlier, but would love to see a WnW or Tamiya quality Griffon Spitfire.

At the moment, I'm waiting to see what happened to the Pacific Coast moulds and if cleaned-up editions are to emerge from Czechia.

Tony