Airfix 1/24 Hellcat

gunpowder

On 5/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, airscale said:

very nice start - really looking forward to seeing one of these built up as I only had a few sprues to work with to make the airscale set

out of interest, what are the interior decals like - I have only seen them in the instructions?

Thanks

Peter

They are actually very good. I had to use the kt dials as i messed up the Airscale ones , which was a shame. It would have been nice to have airscale throughout.

Qt82yXx.jpg

Heres the other kit decals

QqgHD0g.jpg

80fds7g.jpg

Sorry the photos are not brilliant!

LOL good luck with that!

I did battle with the carpet monster tonight. For about 20 mins i looked in my safe places , kit boxes and as a last resort the kitchen bin. I was trying to find the instrument panel coaming. I was trying to figure how i was supposed to ask Airfix for a part that is from a new kit that shouldnt have been on sale!  I sat on the sofa and staring right at me from the middle of the carpet was the part. No idea how i missed it , or how it got there!

Anyway onwards. The seat is now finished with the kit injection molded parachute pack and seatbelts. They actually look really good once painted up.

DwWF9em.jpg

These arrived today too.

veducky.jpg

I am aiming to get the fuselage halves joined tonight. I need to give the whole cockpit a quick coat of matt varnish and add the trim wheels and a couple of other bits , then we should be set.  We are off on Holiday for a week tomorrow , but i plan to take the engine with me and at least assemble that. I dont think i can cope with no modelling for a whole week! :wicked:

41 minutes ago, gunpowder said:

We are off on Holiday for a week tomorrow , but i plan to take the engine with me and at least assemble that. I dont think i can cope with no modelling for a whole week! :wicked:

Now there's a devoted modeler! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i had one evening of modelling while i was away. I only too the engine sprue  ,  a pair of snips and some glue , so it was very basic assembley i did. I havent attended to any seams or added any details yet. The gearcase , cylinders etc are all just slid onto the crankcase.

wBPL5b4.jpg?1

I really recommend this book , especially if you want to add more detail. Theres loads in it.

exXL9yk.jpg

More later...

On to the wings , which are actually a step before the engine. I have to say , this wing center section is so strong. The two ribs fit to the wing , then the rear spar locks them into the correct position. I love the way the catapult hooks are actually molded onto the rib , and then fit through a whole. So far the ejector pin marks are all on the backs of the parts.

Sg8D46y.jpg

dEHFApt.jpg

eSMPIUt.jpg

Edited by gunpowder