Airfix 1/24 Hellcat

gunpowder

I have not posted a work in progress for years so i thought others might want to see this one , the new Airfix 1/24 Hellcat. I wasnt expecting this kit yet ,but my LHS text me to tell me she had it in. The box is a bit damaged but this is because they had 3 in and one was damaged. I was quite happy having the damaged one , they can then sell the good ones. He did tell me that he thought if it went back he wouldnt get another one as they had sold out. Its a really nice kit , good detail , beautiful stressed skin and a FAA option!

Heres the box art. Very nice artwork that nearly made me want to do a US one.

LxMytuQ.jpg

Starting with the cockpit , i am using the airscale set. I wouldnt say its really needed as the kit cockpit is really really nice , but i thought i would use it anyway. The centre console is the airscale replacement. It all fits together great so far. Paint is Tamiya mix of Olive drab and yellow green to get the US interior green colour.

Tq98Wln.jpg

dptpQ6u.jpg

pmBtI1y.jpg

Lots of detail so far , more later....

Looks good so far.  Hopefully it will be followed by an F-3 as the choice of colour schemes is greater although looking at my Eduard 1/72 kits the differences don’t seem to be huge.

very nice start - really looking forward to seeing one of these built up as I only had a few sprues to work with to make the airscale set

out of interest, what are the interior decals like - I have only seen them in the instructions?

Thanks

Peter

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I am jealous! I have one on pre-order and haven't heard a peep yet here in the states. You have made a great start.

Well, Hannants have them listed as being available from the 26th June, and all my other usual sources still have them on 'pre-order', so gunpowder's LHS must have smuggled them in somehow!