1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

16 hours ago, daHeld said:

...Another metod to avoid paint-lifting is to use wet newspaper for masking.

Hey Andy, I've done that too but with 20lb paper. I dip it in a bowl of warm water with some dishsoap in it.

Helps it slide better. I needed to have the paint ready to shoot before the paper started to dry or it might

lift if the air pressure was too high. It's great for straight edges as you don't even need the cutter.

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Andy, I've done that too but with 20lb paper. I dip it in a bowl of warm water with some dishsoap in it.

Helps it slide better. I needed to have the paint ready to shoot before the paper started to dry or it might

lift if the air pressure was too high. It's great for straight edges as you don't even need the cutter.

Yes, for straight and wavy lines, this method works very well. I thought, maybe Jay could use it for the slight misalignment of his "17".

12 hours ago, daHeld said:

Yes, for straight and wavy lines, this method works very well. I thought, maybe Jay could use it for the slight misalignment of his "17".

Ha - now you tell me (or yesterday)!  I actually improved that misalign by limiting my re-masking to aft of the join, where I am getting good stick.  No more damage to the forward fuselage!  I will show the match-up next post when I show the join.  

Are ya keepin' up?  I'm having some fun now.  The log jam has broken and things are happening after a busy winter of detailing.

First though, next little project was the tail gear doors.  They are 3D printed, came out really nice, but I was not able to completely get rid of some of the pock marks left after trimming the parts from their support sprues.  That was my excuse to skin them in aluminum, and I am glad I did:

ATAZjDFl.jpg

The newly painted and chipped seat photobombed my picture.  Doing the seat work in parallel.  

gpumfULh.jpg

I have more fun with those saw horses!  And, it gives an idea of how large or small these components are since the saw horses are to scale.  Skinning of the doors was a snap, and a big improvement.  Wish I had done that to the main gear doors...

Painted, weathered, installed:

o2CI99Vh.jpg

I must show you the finishing touches on the chain-driven door operating mechanism (the chain was quite literally the first project I worked on for the aft fuselage months ago):

1pQ43vQh.jpg

L9sLVioh.jpg

The finishing touch being the little push rods that attach to the doors themselves.  The sharp observer will see the chains in there.  

Here also are the even smaller little rods that link the forward doors to the aft doors:

0OEbsByh.jpg

Door installation went pretty well, but I think they are supposed to open a bit more than they are.  I couldn't do anything about that - not now.  Hope you like it OK. 

And with that, the way was cleared, at long last, for fuselage join:

gDScIaUh.jpg

Yes - she is officially on her legs!  :beer4:  I think the color matching worked out pretty well.  The join is a bit messy though - somehow I think I will touch it up some, keeping in mind wartime pictures of these birds show them in just awful shape.  With severe weathering, and very amateur paint repairs.  Right up my alley.  

Some more shots:

WYv3TIZh.jpg

Ksd4GB5h.jpg

Again - the rudder is just temp installed.  Gonna make another one, unless I just run out of steam....

Take a look at the aft cockpit:

AJWR2RGh.jpg

sWfjS7nh.jpg

Note that first picture shows I still have some more work to do on that split "17".  :BANGHEAD2:   The head armor is now in place, and the radio deck buttoned down.  Pretty stoked about this also.  Now, to complete the seat and get it, and the seat back armor, installed.  That will 100% complete the cockpit after years of on again off again work.  Another giant milestone.  And it comes soon.  

A parting fun shot:

NZKuSvhh.jpg

Stay tuned folks.

Edited by JayW

14 hours ago, easixpedro said:

By its lonesome, that rudder was a bit suspect, but it looks good. Now onto those wings!

I might take another vote on the rudder - part of me says to do it over, take the lessons learned that were applied to the elevators, apply same to the new rudder.  It will no doubt be an improvement.  But - it was a pretty long project with alot of parts, and not particularly enjoyable.....  The wings?  First, finish the seat and its support, plus seat belts and shoulder straps, get it installed with the last of the armor plate, and the all important canopy (that will also be a bit of a project).   THEN - the wings.