1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

incredible!!

I can't keep up with the progress you are making Jay and maybe thats my only word of caution - perhaps slow down a little, afterall this is the skin on YEARS worth of work - six months on an engine and 6 days on a paint job :)

I think it looks wonderful by the way - i hate painting and can offer no advice I am afraid, but the finish you have is looking stunning, if very difficult to replicate

i would also recommend getting those decals on soon - they are on the way as it is hard to put them on over a textured matt finish without them looking like 'stickers'

stunning, and truly an inspirational build :wub:

Peter

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

there seems to be a definite "chequerboard" type pattern to the wear over the rivet lines. Do you think replicating that might be possible? It's something apparent on many reference images and seems to be quite a distinctive Corsair feature. 

Yes - a thin skinned part of the airplane with ribs and stiffeners underneath, an area that gets alot of foot wear.  Hence the "checkerboard" wear marks on the parts that have structure underlying.  Well I made a meager effort, and it just wasn't working very well.  I get it though - I see it on nearly all Corsairs too.  Next post I hope to have that worked in.  Stay tuned.

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

On another topic, may I suggest considering artist's pastel chalks as an alternative to a panel line wash?

Oh yes - another area where I am a bit of a rookie.  I will be asking for suggestions when the time comes for washes, chalks, etc.  So far i have some powders of some kind, and two Tamiya "weatherine master" kits.   And Flory clay wash has been suggested too, dark for fasteners and panel lines at least.  I also have some Valejo black wash I tried on the mule and didn't like it at all. 

2 hours ago, airscale said:

...word of caution - perhaps slow down a little, afterall this is the skin on YEARS worth of work - six months on an engine and 6 days on a paint job :)

Oh yes - it seems that way Peter.  Actually the primer had been on there for a while, on purpose to let it cure.  The can said it would be ready earlier than the time I actually waited.  The rest - well the video's I watched seemed to suggest a time element - don't wait too long for the hair spray, and don't wait too long for the paint to cure.  Perhaps hair spray can lose its ability to do what it does in that process.... I don't know.  The paint - I get that.  The longer it cures, the more impervious to water it seems.  At least some paints.  So yes - I worked quickly.  Pressure is largely off now.

2 hours ago, airscale said:

i would also recommend getting those decals on soon - they are on the way as it is hard to put them on over a textured matt finish without them looking like 'stickers'

Should be here maybe tomorrow, I hope.  I always apply decals over either gloss or semi-gloss clear.  This will be no different.  Soon as I tweak that chipped finish a bit more I will seal it up, and it should be ready for the decals.  Stencils too!  BTW - as I mentioned before I have stencils for the skull and crossbones provided to me by Thunnus, but they have very small details and are hard to get just right.  I am going to put on the decal skull and cross bones, and make a decision which ones I want.  We all know how cool stencils are.  Nice to have a choice - just cannot thank you enough Peter.  

Ok - got some good input from some of you:

1.  "Checkerboard" pattern on inboard LE panel

2.  Back off on chipping around the fuel filler cap

Also, I realize that the pilot's handhold near the windshield RH side is normally heavily worn.

So here she is with those changes incorporated as best I can:

gpeSi7sl.jpg?1

2hbb2dGl.jpg

rHZ1mHbl.jpg

I think I am just about ready to seal this up with semi-gloss.  Any more inputs, please tell me now.  I really value them.

Edited by JayW

Jay, that looks absolutely fantastic!

Like other commenters & watchers, I was nervous about leaving the surface detail as is, & using rattle cans to paint the model, especially after the work you’d done on the engine, cockpit, & UC wells. 
So happy that your choice to skin & airbrush are paying such handsome dividends. Loving your work!

28 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Jay,

The  art and practice of tesselating can be quite exhausting and  patience is needed !

:popcorn:

you have managed to tessellate with effortless  ease {but WE All know it takes lots hard work.}.

:frantic:

Your tesselated work with the resulting  Tessellation  Looks AMAZING.  PERFECTION.

:wow::clap2:

KUDOS  Jay....

:bow::bow::bow:

There you go with those big words again, M.  You know most of ain’t that smart and I can’t find my dictionary, so…

Gonna give it another day of comments - my audience, those who have responded anyway, seems satisfied with the chipping.  I might tweak just a bit more here and there, and then it gets sealed.  Thanks all.

Jay,

Looks like you've figured out this airbrush thing brilliantly!  I think your weathering and chipping is superb, but since you asked, I would also add very fine scratches, like you see in the pics of the real deal you have posted above.  To do this is super easy and risk free, since I use a fine pencil crayon like I did on my Hellcat.  If you don't like the scratches, just rub them off.

Cheers,

Chuck

23 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Jay,

Looks like you've figured out this airbrush thing brilliantly!  I think your weathering and chipping is superb, but since you asked, I would also add very fine scratches, like you see in the pics of the real deal you have posted above.  To do this is super easy and risk free, since I use a fine pencil crayon like I did on my Hellcat.  If you don't like the scratches, just rub them off.

Cheers,

Chuck

Absolutely!  You can count on there being scratches in the paint anywhere there are Dzus fasteners.  The older ones require a large flat blade screwdriver and often demand two-handed pressure to close them, causing the screwdriver to slide out of the groove with a vengeance and gouge the paint if not done exactly right.  Personal experience and all that.  There were a couple on one of my planes that my mech simply refused to mess with, leaving me to scratch my paint instead of him.