1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

On 10/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, JayW said:

You might get your wish sort of.  If in the process of carving up the forward fuselage I essentially ruin it, a very real possibility, then the engine is going to stand on its own.  But a museum?   Does P&W have a museum?  I know the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola has an absolutely magnificent F4U.       

Hi Jay! I just sent you a message but I know our museum, the Connecticut Air & Space Center, located in the original R&D Hangar of the Chance Vought Plant in Stratford, CT, would LOVE the chance to display your amazing piece of Connecticut history. What better place then the home of the Corsair!? Especially next to our own FG-1D.  And the FG-1D at the NMNA in Pensacola is nice, but inaccurately painted. Ours will look like a factory fresh bird as she rolled off the assemble line in 1945! 

You are a very gifted modeler Jay and this engine is proof of that.  In an overused word, "Wow"!  So good in every way and your frank descriptions of what went well and want didn't is very interesting to read.  We all tend to focus on just the good things and a little reality once in awhile is refreshing to see.

Cheers,

Chuck

Jay, I can’t share the link via my phone, but if you use the search function in “In the Works” and use the search term “Revell F4U1” and author “bcauchi” it will come right up. Well worth your time. Brian is one of my favorite modelers of all time. Some excellent scratch building in that thread!

THOR    :ph34r:

On 10/5/2020 at 9:33 PM, Brett M said:

Couldn’t help myself, so I changed the color temp a bit (I wanted more detail, wow).

Brett - yes your photo tweak shows the detail better.  A photographer I am not - I just stick my little brick of an I-phone in front of something and click, hoping that's enough.  If we modelers are going to show off our work, I guess it is incumbent on us to pay a little attention to the photo quality.  What did you use to improve those two pics? 

2 hours ago, JayW said:

Brett - yes your photo tweak shows the detail better.  A photographer I am not - I just stick my little brick of an I-phone in front of something and click, hoping that's enough.  If we modelers are going to show off our work, I guess it is incumbent on us to pay a little attention to the photo quality.  What did you use to improve those two pics? 

Hey Jay. I’m just glad that you didn’t mind me doing that. I just used Adobe Photoshop Express, which is available for iPad (where I did it) and I would guess iPhone. You should be able to download that, do some quick editing, even if you just use the magic wand, and then save and upload your images. The color temp or exposure is what really gets me on builds. If it’s so yellow or under exposed I feel like I’m wearing, shades.....then a quick edit will make a world of difference.

Hope that’s helpful, really looking forward to seeing how the REST of your build is going to turn out!

Brett

Edited by Brett M

Wha?????  Fundekals STILL doesn't have their engine logo decal sheet - which includes 1/18 scald P&W logo.  It's been all year.  Methinks I won't get them at all now.  Anybody have a sheet? 

After the engine, I breathed a big sigh of relief, and then just couldn't figure out what to do next.  I know what needs to be done next - the cockpit.  And I guess that is what I will do.  But one thing leads to another.  The side walls need to be done first, especially important for the Corsair which has no floor, exposing the fuselage frames on the sides and bottom.  Right now it all looks awful and unrealistic.  So while doodling around wondering how to attack it, I started on the wing center section front spar.  Just....because. 

OK the center section wing front spar, or main beam in Vought language.  It is very visible in the engine compartment with cowl panels open:

8jUwelEl.jpg

And of course there is an engineering drawing VS-10072 - here is one frame of it:

ULHkXxZl.jpg

Two tubes (one left, one right) of the engine mount truss attach to the front spar common to its lower chord.  Due to the heavy gage of the gull wings on the model (.08 inch scales to 1.44 inches!), the spar is narrower than it should be, which affects the location of those two tubes, which will cause interferences.  So I had to modify the shape of my spar, flattening the bottom.  This 4x scale layout (that is to say 4 x 1/18) shows what I am talking about:

rRhGnnzl.jpg?1

That layout looks simple, but it is not!  I did alot of hours of layout work trying to get a spar that was the right shape, and located fore/aft in teh right place.  Here she is - just alot of plastic sheet, strip, and angle section:

uxlEfwPl.jpg?1

Making it was alot easier than laying it out!  The two little pads with holes are where the motor mount truss attaches.  

These pictures show what it will look like when installed (the trained eye will notice I got the dihedral wrong - but fear not.  It's gonna be OK):

ya8MgOvl.jpg

KkoheKdl.jpg

yAKkGP6l.jpg

That last shot is from the bottom.  Note I have created "shoulders" for the big lower hinged door to nest up against (it's aft edge). 

I am going to have to rely on this spar section to maintain wing dihedral as I continue to dremmel away material from the part, making it more limber and flexible.  So I will install it permanently here real soon.  

Take care - next post I'll show you some progress in the cockpit area.  

Edited by JayW