1/18 Scale Blue Box F4U-1A Corsair Modification

JayW

14 hours ago, Bil said:

Forget about the airplane model this is going in Jay... you should just build engines.  It is a pleasure to watch your work unfold.

Oh no!  This engine has driven me to near insanity.  Although I must say that the sections aft of the cylinder banks have had the right blend of challenge and enjoyment.  It will be on static display for a while as I begin work on the actual airframe soon!  It WILL be installed into the airplane one day.  Thank you so much for the fine complement. 

All right.  A large milestone - the R-2800-8 is finished and on static display (my apologies for the crude mounting fixture).  A nearly year long adventure: 

JYbaM9Tl.jpg

FEqtz7hl.jpg

xWs3Pgwl.jpg

SqewdNYl.jpg

mjxhuSGl.jpg

Some lines were installed after the rear crankcase was installed - a large fuel hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor, and some tubing associated with the separator (the ZC yellow cannister on the side of the aft blower case):

f9vwImLl.jpg

With exhaust manifolds and the diaphragm:

ZFHcNRcl.jpg

w5Tj7GNl.jpg

When this piece of work gets installed into the aircraft, it will be a huge challenge to connect the myriad tubes, hoses, push rods, cables, and wire bundles to it.  Oh, and the complex shaped air ducts.  Wow.  But that is going to be a while.

Tell you the truth - I am not sure what I am going to tackle next.  The cockpit looms large, as does cowl flaps and nose cowl attachments, as does the engine mount truss. and firewall bulkhead.  I guess next post you will see.  Take care.

Edited by JayW

45 minutes ago, Bobs Buckles said:

Belongs in a museum :wub:

13 hours ago, wingman777 said:

If would be criminal to place that mini Pratt and Whitney anywhere other than it's own display case in  a museum.

You guys - better compliments do not exist.  Thank you.  Maybe I need to make anther one!  Ha, that will be the day.  Two things:

1.  My plan of course is to install this thing into a F4U-1A Corsair.  I plan to have not only the forward cowl panels removable, but the engine compartment panels between the cowl flaps and the firewall bulkhead would be removable also.  This easier said than done, but if done the engine will not be hidden by any means.  Also, that engine compartment is jam packed with systems, which hide some of the aft sections of the engine.  But if I can successfully reproduce all that clap trap, I think you won't mind that the engine is where it is.   

2.  You might get your wish sort of.  If in the process of carving up the forward fuselage I essentially ruin it, a very real possibility, then the engine is going to stand on its own.  But a museum?   Does P&W have a museum?  I know the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola has an absolutely magnificent F4U.       

Excellent Work as always, Jay. Love the accessories on the engine. You might take a gander at the great build of the old Revell Corsair by the legendary Brian Cauchi here on LSP. Although it’s 32nd scale, he opened and detailed a lot of the areas you wish to expose, and some of his scratchbuilt approaches to many of the parts might help you along the way. 

Keep up the excellent work!

THOR    :ph34r:

12 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

You might take a gander at the great build of the old Revell Corsair by the legendary Brian Cauchi here on LSP.

Thor - I can't find it.   Can you help me find it?