CyberGolem

Who's responsible for this art?

I've recently gotten back into modelling and have discovered a trove of kits and info, and the skill level worldwide is off the hook, so I'm quite inspired.

I've gotten a few kits and whilst perusing the internet to figure out how I want to paint them, I've seen the following type of image all over the place and wondered where they're from. Here's an example of the kind of reference art I'm speaking of ::

1f4c7ddcfe73fd2cd14963e764a76048.jpg

Does anyone know who is responsible for these? Given they look scanned, my suspicion is they're from a book series of some sort...??

Edited by CyberGolem

Richard Ward was the artist.  EVERYTHING in those publications has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.  They were ground breaking when they were published, but technical accuracy wasn’t their long suit.  Back in those days, *all* WWII Luftwaffe aircraft were “known” to be painted in 70/71/65, including Bf109K’s :)

Edited by Jennings Heilig

31 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Richard Ward was the artist.  EVERYTHING in those publications has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.  They were ground breaking when they were published, but technical accuracy wasn’t their long suit.  Back in those days, *all* WWII Luftwaffe aircraft were “known” to be painted in 70/71/65, including Bf109K’s :)

Great to know. So, would you have a recommendation for a more accurate source? In particular, I've been wanting to know about this paint... 

b17-flying-fortress-aeroplane-heaven_35_

Is that color white, light gray... "eggshell-lavender-love"? Kidding, it's obvious by the American insignia that it isn't white :)

30 minutes ago, CyberGolem said:

Great to know. So, would you have a recommendation for a more accurate source? In particular, I've been wanting to know about this paint... 

b17-flying-fortress-aeroplane-heaven_35_

Is that color white, light gray... "eggshell-lavender-love"? Kidding, it's obvious by the American insignia that it isn't white :)

Nah, that's NMF.  No brainer in my book with all due respect.  Your kidding, right?  Can't really tell nowadays.  That's not a very good representation of NMF in that picture.  Looks to me like a work in progress.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot—you have my sincerest apologies for my ignorance—but "NMF"? :huh:  Is that some kind of term for bare-metal? If it is, then I wholly agree it doesn't look like a bare metal surface. Although, I really like the way it looks and was hoping it was authentic. Being this is most likely wrong would explain why I haven't seen anyone build it before. 

8 minutes ago, CyberGolem said:

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot—you have my sincerest apologies for my ignorance—but "NMF"? :huh:  Is that some kind of term for bare-metal? If it is, then I wholly agree it doesn't look like a bare metal surface. Although, I really like the way it looks and was hoping it was authentic. Being this is most likely wrong would explain why I haven't seen anyone build it before. 

Yes, natural metal finish.