me 262 with orginal engines set for restoration

On 5/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, TonyT said:

Just as well, the engines lasted hours.

That's mostly b/c of a lack of modern heat resistant alloys in all the critical parts.

I would suggest a modern 004 could be made with modern materials in the right places but you'd still have what is effectively the old engine but with a much greater lifespan.   It would probably sound just as it should too, despite the modern alloys.

I'd love to see this type of thing done with all sorts of historic military equipment.

There is a very accurate Tiger tank replica now sitting at the German Panzer Museum in Munster, and the work they are doing down in New Zealand with modern constructions of WWI aircraft is also fantastic.

There is a flying Me-262 replica in Germany as well, but I believe it is using modern engines.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, TonyT said:

That and they would often be built by slave labour, I read of engines in FW190's bursting into flames and seizing up on start up or in flight, such was the sabotage carried out during construction, often at the risk of death.

Jacques Littlefield commented on this a few years ago before he died in terms of all the German armor his team had taken apart and mucked around with.

He said they never found any evidence of "sabotage" in manufacturing, for what that's worth.  At least not in the vehicles he owned and examined.

If a recall correctly, when the BMW engine was being restored for the FHC Fw190 they found that rag had been stuffed into the some of its oil channels which eventually led to the engine seizing and the subsequent belly landing. I think this is the only documented occurrence of aircraft sabotage found to date.

Regarding the sabotage of slave labour built machinery; during the rebuild of the Maybach engine for Bruce Compton's ( 'Combat Dealers' ) Panther tank, it was found that one of the intake or exhaust valves had a bevelled relief machined into the stem, which would have caused catastrophic failure when the end snapped off.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, TonyT said:

Gulp........ imagine standing in front of a jet pulling a starter cord, what could possibly go wrong!

There was no danger of suction at that stage of the starting process. The ring-pull started a two-stroke two-piston petrol engine. That was used to spin the compressor fans until enough pressure was created in the combustion chamber to initiate ignition. When the required rpm/presure was achieved, then fuel was injected and ignited in the combustion chambers, the suction/compression/ignition/jet exhaust cycle was started and the starter engine disengaged. So, there was some time between pulling the starter engine ring and the start of the jet engine cycle, so the ground mechanic was (relatively) safe. 

HTH 

RAdu