Mi-24 in Angola

Madmax

47 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great update! Ill definitely be picking up the PART PE sheet. 

Although, I will be doing an Afgan Mi-24P, Yellow 14.......................anyone know what the outer rails are in this config on Yellow 14 with the long green barrel/drum looking things on them?

valery-petelin-mi-24p-XL.jpg

Those are Anti-Tank Guided Missiles. AT-6 Spiral maybe? Similar to the US TOW system.    

If you are using the 35th Trumpy kit, just note that I don’t think they include those IR engine exhaust suppressors which where fitted to just about every Hind in Afghanistan.   Believe you can get these from an aftermarket supplier. 

Edited by John1

15 minutes ago, John1 said:

Those are Anti-Tank Guided Missiles. AT-6 Spiral maybe? Similar to the US TOW system.    

Thanks! I was wondering what they were. I was planning on having to scratch build them, as I didnt think they came with the kit itself.  Looking at the Google stuff, it does appear that they are the 9K114 Shturm (AT-6 Spiral).

Anyone know if the Shturm/AT-6 Spiral missiles come in the Trumpy kit at all?

If you are using the 35th Trumpy kit, just note that I don’t think they include those IR engine exhaust suppressors which where fitted to just about every Hind in Afghanistan.   Believe you can get these from an aftermarket supplier. 

Yep!  Its LEM kits for both, and Ive got both the LEM M-24 Exhaust-heat shield and the  GSh-30K fixed twin-barrel gun from LEM as well. Not cheap by a LONG stretch, but worth it, as they are the only game in town, and quite nice bits of kit actually.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks! I was wondering what they were. I was planning on having to scratch build them, as I didnt think they came with the kit itself.  Looking at the Google stuff, it does appear that they are the 9K114 Shturm (AT-6 Spiral).

Anyone know if the Shturm/AT-6 Spiral missiles come in the Trumpy kit at all?

b11QhJD.jpg

1 hour ago, rtwpsom2 said:

b11QhJD.jpg

Thanks!  I guess Ill not have to fully scratch build them after all. It appears some minor detailing and some decals should get them up to speed. 

Sorry to hijack this wonderful thread Max................now back to your regularly scheduled Angola Hind!! 

On 8/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, John1 said:

57726524_2250283521898035_45698773722490

On 8/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, John1 said:

Not sure if your Hind had those add-on IR flare packs installed on the tail boom but if it did, you might want to consider the PART PE set. 

Hi John, the Hinds at the time were a mixed bag with some having EW countermeasures, and some not. The photo's I have show none.

On 8/28/2019 at 6:26 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Sorry to hijack this wonderful thread Max................now back to your regularly scheduled Angola Hind!! 

No worries Brian, back to Angola then - actually, some Afghanistan going to feature too!

On 8/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, MigMan said:

Excellent work on the missile rails Sean, great how history and modelling are stimulating each other in this thread.

Thanks Lionel, the two go hand in hand for me.

16 hours ago, shark64 said:

looking good

Very kind from a chopper connoisseur of your calibre!

More often nowadays in my painting, I consider what I want to show through the chipping before painting the actual colours. So, to that end, it was silver first. I like to use Alclad's  "white aluminium" as a standard base metal colour since it is pretty hard wearing, and in this case, misted "duraluminium" on top. It will dull down well for the rocket pods and rails, as well as some parts of the rotor hub.

IMG_0667-XL.jpg

IMG_0674-XL.jpg

The blue/grey undersides (straight Tamiya XF-23 light blue) were next, and then masked off.

IMG_0676-XL.jpg

Then a bit of MIG's chipping fluid, followed by my version of the light stone which is about 2/3 XF-22 RLM grey to 1/3 XF-49 khaki lightened by half with white (all by gut feel so just approximations in case you find it useful). The chipping is very subtle because I let the paint dry a bit too long, but still pleasing.

IMG_0686-XL.jpg

Ever since seeing Malcolm's Mi-24, I have been itching to do the following process! I have chosen a tail number of which I have no photographs, and decided to do entirely my own interpretation of the three-leaved camouflage pattern. It is such a pleasing organic shape, and it felt like I was doing an Art Nouveau piece - for combat. In a zen-like trance, I let the Blu-tack rolls guide my hands...

IMG_0702-XL.jpg

Without any further masking, I sprayed inside the rolled shapes, taking care not to over-saturate the green (half XF-65 field grey and white) and rather let some light stone show through. Like cooking prawns - don't overdo it.

IMG_0713-XL.jpg

That did leave the edges a bit tatty as you can see on the left hand shape, so I just free-handed over the outline and it comes out like the shape on the right.

IMG_0715-XL.jpg

The origin of these shapes, as you may recall from earlier in the thread, really have me baffled and fascinated.

IMG_0716-XL.jpg

I have considered that it may be something in the Afghanistan landscape that inspired it.

IMG_0720-XL.jpg

Oh, and by the way, if you missed the last instalment of the Impala's vs Hind's story, it is at the bottom of page 5! ;)

ok, when I saw the Blu-tack rolls without covering the green ... I was scared, and I see that he controlled his airbrush very well, he's inspired,

and in turn, perhaps they were, for this cammo, inspired by the Russian snipers of World War II,

I wonder:hmmm:

bf581f8455352fb5eb67f9b35b5b9da3.jpg

I hope to feel soon ready to work my Mi-24;)

well done

Edited by Aluxe

On 9/3/2019 at 12:01 AM, John1 said:

Outstanding work on the camo Max, I love the chalky, weathered look of the green.    

Thanks John, I see from your lovely Korean War Mustang that you are not afraid of a bit of weathering yourself!

On 9/3/2019 at 5:41 AM, Aluxe said:

and in turn, perhaps they were, for this cammo, inspired by the Russian snipers of World War II,

I wonder:hmmm:

Aluxe, you have just solved the mystery for me - thank you very much! I looked up the sniper camouflage and discovered the inspiration behind the shape of the pattern. Do share your Mi-24 with us when you get around to building it.

Edited by Madmax
spelling, as per usual

I am very fortunate to have a mask cutting service just around the corner from me, in the form of Cheetah 11! I email him a poor drawing of what I would like cut, and he then measures up the aircraft and the insignia, and promptly corrects my misinterpretations as well as producing the masks - what more could one possibly ask for? :bow: This is what he gets...

IMG_20190830_0001-XL.jpg

And this is what I get...

IMG_0729-XL.jpg

Thanks Nick!

Decals just can't do what sprayed insignia does for a model. 

IMG_0734-XL.jpg

IMG_0737-XL.jpg

IMG_0738-XL.jpg

Talking of masking, although rotor blades are a novelty for me - it wore off pretty fast. You get to repeat everything five times on the big one!

IMG_0741-XL.jpg

They do look rather nice once they are painted up though.

IMG_0756-XL.jpg

A gloss coat of Tamiya X-22 acrylic and Mr Colour levelling thinner was applied, and then came the Linden Hill decals. They are very nicely printed on thin carrier film and settle down very well. I am not a decal fan, but these were relatively painless to apply, and one can't really do without them.

IMG_0748-XL.jpg

IMG_0747-XL.jpg

I wanted to retain the look of the hastily painted out star, as part of the provenance of the chopper.

IMG_0746-XL.jpg

That brings me to the shape of the camouflage pattern. Thanks to Aluxe's keen sense of observation, and camopedia.org, I realised that the shape is inspired by a lowly single cell organism, yes - the amoeba! The Soviet uniform of 1938 was the "makirovochnyi kamuflirovannyi kostium" which was printed with large reddish brown amoeba shapes on a green or khaki background. Here is an example of the East German version of the MKK, just to illustrate the shapes that made their way onto the Hind. What a fun discovery.

RTM-M.jpg

There will be more of the conflict story in the next post. I have to drag it out a bit to co-incide with the completion of the model.

Cheers,

Sean