Jennings Heilig

Revell + Tamiya Mossies

Has anyone attempted to graft the front end of the Revell Mossie onto the Tamiya kit?  I’m not excited by the HK bomber (the nose glazing is closer to 1/48 than 1/32), and I’m doubtful we’ll ever see a glass nose from Tamiya (in this lifetime).

Posted (edited)

1/48 scale!  Yikes!

IIRC the Revell bomber nose glazing ice cube-ish and was ripe for replacement when the kit was released.  Cool kit during it's time for sure.

Vac over the kit nose glazing using two layers (second clear layer over the first non-clear layer) may enlarge it just enough.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski
Clarification

Posted (edited)

I was eager for the HK kit when it came out. Some very progressive injection molding. However, once pouring over the kit, some fundamental shape issues left me un-impressed... I can live with minor dimension issues, but there is no excuse basic shape discrepancies. That just speaks to poor research. Hard to excuse when there are so many examples available to be examined.

For that reason, I took a pass on their two-stage Merlin attempt...

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Has anyone attempted to graft the front end of the Revell Mossie onto the Tamiya kit?  I’m not excited by the HK bomber (the nose glazing is closer to 1/48 than 1/32), and I’m doubtful we’ll ever see a glass nose from Tamiya (in this lifetime).

I think it is possible - I really want to build a PR 34 - and will be taking that route. There's an Australian guy selling the interior equipment, upgraded for the HK kit, have some of his other stuff, top notch. 

I'd really like to build a high altitude blue Mk.XV Mosquito interceptor from the Hong Kong Models bomber — the only nightfighter variant with the bomber type windshield, but thimble nose for the AI Mk.VIII AI radar, extended wingtips and four bladed props.

I don't think we're completely out of the Tamiya Mosquito new variant window yet. I'd wait till September or even next Spring before declaring that avenue null and void. 

Tony 

13 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I think it is possible - I really want to build a PR 34 - and will be taking that route. There's an Australian guy selling the interior equipment, upgraded for the HK kit, have some of his other stuff, top notch. 

Can you tell me more? Any website links?

Many thanks

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 5:25 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

I bought a copy of the Revell kit to see if this would be possible and I think it is. In fact, in hindsight it might have been a better idea than using the HK models nose on the Tamiya kit which I did last year. (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034678-132-mosquito-biv-tamiya-vi-with-hk-models-iv-nose/)

The HK front fuselage fits the Tamiya rear fuselage and wings with relative ease - but it looks like Revell's wing shape is considerably closer to Tamiya so it should be even easier.

The HK canopy also fits Revell, for what its worth, and may be easier to install than a vacuum formed canopy.

Revell's front fuselage side windows are terrible but at least they're too big (HK's are too small) so it's a relatively simple matter of making them smaller - maybe even simply with some clever masking. 

My brand new Revell kit's bomber front window has a crack in it so if I ever use that it will need some replacement.

It's also possible (theoretically) to adapt the HK B.XVI nacelle parts to the Tamiya kit; if you have Tamiya's export version it comes with a double set of engine nacelle covers (one clear set and one regular styrene) and you could use the front part of those clear double top sections to extend the regular styrene top sections of the engine nacelle, and use the HK side panels and lower panel.

As you can tell, I've played around with this idea; if I were planning a mk.IV bomber/recon version I would use the Revell front fuselage (with replacement clear parts).

While it is possible to convert it to a 2-stage Merlin version by adding the HK B.XVI side and lower nacelle parts and extending the Tamiya top section that's just too much trouble for me at this point - and it would involve no less than 3 large (and 2 of those 3 rather expensive) kits: rear fuselage and wings from Tamiya, side & lower engine nacelle covers and canopy from HK Models, and front fuselage section from Revell.

Personally, I'm going to wait and see if Tamiya will come out with a bomber version (the photoetch in the kit suggests they are planning it) and if then I want to build a 2-stage Merlin variant I'll decide if I want to use the HK Models engine cover parts if no alternative is available.

Edited by Elger
fixed typo

2 hours ago, Elger said:

I bought a copy of the Revell kit to see if this would be possible and I think it is. In fact, in hindsight it might have been a better idea than using the HK models nose on the Tamiya kit which I did last year. (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034678-132-mosquito-biv-tamiya-vi-with-hk-models-iv-nose/)

The HK front fuselage fits the Tamiya rear fuselage and wings with relative ease - but it looks like Revell's wing shape is considerably closer to Tamiya so it should be even easier.

The HK canopy also fits Revell, for what its worth, and may be easier to install than a vacuum formed canopy.

Revell's front fuselage side windows are terrible but at least they're too big (HK's are too small) so it's a relatively simple matter of making them smaller - maybe even simply with some clever masking. 

My brand new Revell kit's bomber front window has a crack in it so if I ever use that it will need some replacement.

It's also possible (theoretically) to adapt the HK B.XVI nacelle parts to the Tamiya kit; if you have Tamiya's export version it comes with a double set of engine nacelle covers (one clear set and one regular styrene) and you could use the front part of those clear double top sections to extend the regular styrene top sections of the engine nacelle, and use the HK side panels and lower panel.

As you can tell, I've played around with this idea; if I were planning a mk.IV bomber/recon version I would use the Revell front fuselage (with replacement clear parts).

While it is possible to convert it to a 2-stage Merlin version by adding the HK B.XVI side and lower nacelle parts and extending the Tamiya top section that's just too much trouble for me at this point - and it would involve no less than 3 large (and 2 of those 3 rather expensive) kits: rear fuselage and wings from Tamiya, side & lower engine nacelle covers and canopy from HK Models, and front fuselage section from Revell.

Excellent incite, thanks! 

12 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Thanks for that info. Of course Tamiya’s Detail Up set for their 1/48 F-16C has stuff for a D on it, and over a decade later and still no D.

That's because I haven't finished my F-16BM conversion yet:)