Tamiya 1/32 P-51D - first LSP build with lots of little firsts - FINISHED

Sepp

Thanks Kevin :)

(Much) more progress!

As I said above, the gloss coat (Alclad aqua gloss, which is lovely stuff!) went on and I added a few HGW wet transfers. Here with horizontal stab just dry fitted, to see how it would look:

S8b5Fo.jpg

The transfers sank very nicely into the nooks and crannies where required - HGW recommend Gunze Mr. Mark softer, but I used MicroSol with no apparent problems. With the top satin coat (2:1 mix of Vallejo satin and water) on, they look the part and have precisely no film to worry about. The natural aluminium parts of the flaps are BMF, with what should be holes-  rather than Tamiya's indentations - picked out in black. With the satin coat on they look quite nice, to my eye.

eYFGxA.jpgMGQFWP.jpg

Or at least that was the case for the first sheet. I had one decal break up on the prop. I ordered two more sheets, as I was happy with the results so far. Sadly, the new sheets are nowhere near as satisfactory as the first - but I will post about that in the LSP discussion forum.

In happier news, progress has suddenly been remarkably fast :) Funny how one moment you have a pile of disparate bits and the next a recognisable model!

Horizontal stab, elevators and satin coat on:

L1ccsI.jpg

Drop tanks, pipes, gear and doors on, prop and spinner mated, ID and nav lights added (I'm loving Klear Kote for this):

6ncnqh.jpg

and all of a sudden she's on her own feet :) Well, ankles I suppose, here:

lo85oR.jpg

This morning I added the wheels and prop, and touched up the gun barrels and we're almost there:

bKPPQx.jpg

If you look closely at the top right prop blade, you'll see the manufacturer's decal is not quite the same as the other three... that's the one from the new sheet.

All that's left is to add the fittings to the canopy, add the pitot tube (possibly also with cover and tag) and make and install this, and I'm going to call it done:

iNJLiP.jpg

If pix of the finished article show her with the conventional VHF "prong", you'll know my plan didn't work :lol:

Hopefully, one more update  to come tomorrow and then I'll be able to add her to the RFI forum.

Cheers!

Sepp

Edited by Sepp

On 2/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, Sepp said:

Thanks Kevin :)

(Much) more progress!

As I said above, the gloss coat (Alclad aqua gloss, which is lovely stuff!) went on and I added a few HGW wet transfers. Here with horizontal stab just dry fitted, to see how it would look:

S8b5Fo.jpg

The transfers sank very nicely into the nooks and crannies where required - HGW recommend Gunze Mr. Mark softer, but I used MicroSol with no apparent problems. With the top satin coat (2:1 mix of Vallejo satin and water) on, they look the part and have precisely no film to worry about. The natural aluminium parts of the flaps are BMF, with what should be holes-  rather than Tamiya's indentations - picked out in black. With the satin coat on they look quite nice, to my eye.

eYFGxA.jpgMGQFWP.jpg

Or at least that was the case for the first sheet. I had one decal break up on the prop. I ordered two more sheets, as I was happy with the results so far. Sadly, the new sheets are nowhere near as satisfactory as the first - but I will post about that in the LSP discussion forum.

In happier news, progress has suddenly been remarkably fast :) Funny how one moment you have a pile of disparate bits and the next a recognisable model!

Horizontal stab, elevators and satin coat on:

L1ccsI.jpg

Drop tanks, pipes, gear and doors on, prop and spinner mated, ID and nav lights added (I'm loving Klear Kote for this):

6ncnqh.jpg

and all of a sudden she's on her own feet :) Well, ankles I suppose, here:

lo85oR.jpg

This morning I added the wheels and prop, and touched up the gun barrels and we're almost there:

bKPPQx.jpg

If you look closely at the top right prop blade, you'll see the manufacturer's decal is not quite the same as the other three... that's the one from the new sheet.

All that's left is to add the fittings to the canopy, add the pitot tube (possibly also with cover and tag) and make and install this, and I'm going to call it done:

iNJLiP.jpg

If pix of the finished article show her with the conventional VHF "prong", you'll know my plan didn't work :lol:

Hopefully, one more update  to come tomorrow and then I'll be able to add her to the RFI forum.

Cheers!

Sepp

This bird is B-E-A-U-TIFUL !!! Have enjoyed watching your build... On a side note question - where did you find that adjustable stand holding the mustang in these photo's... I'm just getting back into building myself after a 8-9 year hiatus and I think that a stand like this would be very helpful to me... Thanks, Mike

Mike, Brian, thanks for the support! :)

Mike, the stand is from JHModels; they have their own site -  jhmodels.eu - but I think I sourced mine via modellingtools.co.uk  It's a biplane stand (with only two of the four supplied arms fitted) and they do two sizes; this is the larger one for 1/32 and up, the other is for 1/48 or 1/72.  It comes as a laser cut wooden kit that you have to assemble. Not overly robust but works nicely.

ydxhPP.jpg

---

Final post!

I was going to post yesterday but in between firing ImageShack up and uploading the pics I took of working on the antenna, I was distracted by a long rambling phone call and then deleted them by mistake :BANGHEAD2: so I went to the pub for a sulk instead. You'd think my time in the IT industry as a nipper would have taught me to back everything up before doing anything irreversible - apparently not, lol. Oh well. One pic survived, ironically because I wasn't going to use it:

PHNWOV.jpg

To précis: using 1mm styrene card, mark rough mounting shape with Sharpie then carve with various knives, files and sanding sticks. Add 0.3mm hole to take the antenna, which is 0.3mm rod inside 0.5mm tube (see above), glued with a smear of CA on the "inside" end of the rod. Progressively trim the excess 0.3 to fit the depth of hole previously drilled and connect with a further tiny dab of CA. Touch of white paint and satin varnish, further tiny dab of CA to attach it to the model, and presto. Worked a treat (eventually ... what you see is attempt number four), if a bit oversize - it theoretically ought to be 17.78x11.25mm overall, mine came out at 18x13ish, and the mount looks more like a Comant than a RAMI (bit taller and thinner) ... but if I don't tell you, you won't notice the difference :)

And so, herewith the final pic! This build has served its main pupose, in that I've learned a lot, and most importantly has been fun.

qMeccr.jpg

I'll post in the RFI forum next week, once I have a decent backdrop to use - but for now, thanks for watching and for the kind words and support!

Sepp, out.

Edited by Sepp

• Sepp changed the title to Tamiya 1/32 P-51D - first LSP build with lots of little firsts - FINISHED