Tamiya 1/32 P-51D - first LSP build with lots of little firsts - FINISHED

Sepp

Hello world!

By way of a (short) introduction, my name is John and the last kit I built was way back in 1975, when I was 14. Now I'm within touching distance of 58 and after lurking here for nearly nine years and marvelling, goldfish-mouthed, at the tremendous talent exhibited here, I think it's well and truly time that I actually took the plunge and had a go at nailing something together... 

My chosen victim subject aircraft is Tamiya's lovely 1/32 rendition of the later P-51D.  It is beautifully produced and the cowling is, as many have said before, a work of art but why Tamiya chose to include toy-like features  such as vinyl tyres, removable landing gear etc. is a puzzle to me.  Oh well, it is what it is.

For me, this build is not so much about the  "what", so much as the "how to". When I was a kid, I was happy just to stick the bits together and slap some paint on and this , as the title says, is therefore a confection of firsts for me:

first time using an airbrush,

first time doing anything that might be kindly described as "detailing",

first time using PE, brass, resin or DIY decals,

first time masking markings etc.,

even the first time putting varnish on the thing!

I realise that to some the notion of alternate history is an immediate and complete turn-off, but I enjoy it and it does allow me the freedom to explore technique without having to worry about doing justice to a historical subject.  With this in mind, the end goal will be an unashamed "what if".  Spoiler: this will probably also apply to some extent to my first few builds - many more firsts to go, including foiling - those of a nervous disposition should look away now :P

Anyway, enough dithering - if all goes according to plan, it should turn out something like this:

mNQAeT.jpg

12e Escadrille, Forces Armées Bretonnes, Algeria 1954/55 in support of the French campaign.

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Sepp
Because no matter how often you read though a post before committing, it seems there's always a spelling mistake, somewhere!

5 minutes ago, Kirk said:

With that intro, I just had to become the first lurker follower on the thread! :)

Thank you :) Nice to know someone is out there, lol.

14 hours ago, Sepp said:

When I was a kid, I was happy just to stick the bits together and slap some paint on

Sounds like most, if not all of us here.

You have a great attitude / approach to the hobby.

Don't be afraid, just jump in and have fun.  :thumbsup:

:hi:

Guest Vincent
16 hours ago, Sepp said:

Hello world!

By way of a (short) introduction, my name is John and the last kit I built was way back in 1975, when I was 14. Now I'm within touching distance of 58 and after lurking here for nearly nine years and marvelling, goldfish-mouthed, at the tremendous talent exhibited here, I think it's well and truly time that I actually took the plunge and had a go at nailing something together... 

My chosen victim subject aircraft is Tamiya's lovely 1/32 rendition of the later P-51D.  It is beautifully produced and the cowling is, as many have said before, a work of art but why Tamiya chose to include toy-like features  such as vinyl tyres, removable landing gear etc. is a puzzle to me.  Oh well, it is what it is.

For me, this build is not so much about the  "what", so much as the "how to". When I was a kid, I was happy just to stick the bits together and slap some paint on and this , as the title says, is therefore a confection of firsts for me:

first time using an airbrush,

first time doing anything that might be kindly described as "detailing",

first time using PE, brass, resin or DIY decals,

first time masking markings etc.,

even the first time putting varnish on the thing!

I realise that to some the notion of alternate history is an immediate and complete turn-off, but I enjoy it and it does allow me the freedom to explore technique without having to worry about doing justice to a historical subject.  With this in mind, the end goal will be an unashamed "what if".  Spoiler: this will probably also apply to some extent to my first few builds - many more firsts to go, including foiling - those of a nervous disposition should look away now :P

Anyway, enough dithering - if all goes according to plan, it should turn out something like this:

mNQAeT.jpg

12e Escadrille, Forces Armées Bretonnes, Algeria 1954/55 in support of the French campaign.

Thanks for looking in :)

If i may:

The historical flag of Brittany is a black cross on top of a white background. Don't you think it would be more interesting to explore national markings based on that scheme ?

Like a black and white cocarde (or exemple replacing the blue of the finnish cocarde by black ?)

I like the tail marking however

Vincent Kermorgant

3 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

If i may:

The historical flag of Brittany is a black cross on top of a white background. Don't you think it would be more interesting to explore national markings based on that scheme ?

Like a black and white cocarde (or exemple replacing the blue of the finnish cocarde by black ?)

I like the tail marking however

Vincent Kermorgant

Thank you for your interest!  My father's family is originally from Brittany, (hence my choice of 'what if').  

The Kroaz Du forms the basis of the military ensign and unit colours... 

CoqlaY.png

Aircraft markings in the timeline evolved from a differenced French roundel - early on I did indeed look at a Finnish-type cocarde, but I prefer the ermine spot :) 

Edited by Sepp

I aplogise in advance that there will likely not be many pics, and what there are will be poor quality as the only camera I possess is the one on my phone.  Money is tight atm, so this will in all probability not change in the forseeable future.

Well, first baby steps.  I spent the day yesterday playing with my new toy, a Paashe Talon. Very nice it is, too. Allow me to introduce parts C1 and C2.  These two innocent pieces of plastic are going to get painted, stripped, scribed, riveted, filled, gouged, re-filled, painted and stripped (again) and generally will be horribly tortured over the coming weeks, poor things.

6GFk0f.jpg

I have to say, I'm impressed by Vallejo's Model Air paints.  They've put up with my ineptitude very well, so far, and I was impressed with how little paint was required to get the white to  completely cover the black in the test above.

I also managed to get some paint (brushed Hannants' Xtracolour, for those who are interested in such details) and even some tiiiiny decals on the cockpit sidewalls:

KlGfFZ.jpg

More later...

Edited by Sepp