New to the forum and large scale

AlbertD

You guys are the best. I hope to have something worthy of sharing pretty soon. My first LSP build will probably be a Tamiya P51 but I don't think I'm ready to take it on yet. It will be my first real use of Alclad too. I was going to chicken out and go OD but I love a bright finished Mustang. Gonna do an Alclad finished 1/48 something or other first to learn how to use the stuff first.

10 hours ago, AlbertD said:

You guys are the best. I hope to have something worthy of sharing pretty soon. My first LSP build will probably be a Tamiya P51 but I don't think I'm ready to take it on yet. It will be my first real use of Alclad too. I was going to chicken out and go OD but I love a bright finished Mustang. Gonna do an Alclad finished 1/48 something or other first to learn how to use the stuff first.

Nice!  Please do share your work in our non-LSP forum, as Im sure it would be of interest, and you can get some good suggestions too if needed along the way. 

3 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

Welcome and please do share your builds.  Don't be concerned, of course your efforts are worthy, by sharing your work you enrich us all.  We all gain and you can have some fun too. :)  Join the party, you will not find a more articulate and helpful group of talented modellers.  Plenty of assistance available to guide you through learning to use Alclad.  Ask as many questions as you want/need, you'll be amazed at how much help is out there.  Looking forward to your seeing your builds.

Thanks Dan. I will post my next build. I don't think I'll do a build log yet but will share it and ask questions. Right now I'm having trouble with a panel line wash not wanting to flow. I put Vallejo gloss over my decals than more Vallejo gloss varnish over that but the wash just will not flow. I think between the panel lines being shallow and me over doing the paint there is just not enough depth. Like I said in an earlier post I'm still learning my airbrush and paint mixing. I'm going to stop by the hobby shop tomorrow morning and pick up some Tamiya clear gloss to try. I think I need to build a paint mule from an old kit I don't have much interest in to try stuff out.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, ScanmanDan said:

Better modellers than me will want to chip in but I would ask what materials are you using for your wash.  Perhaps it isn't thin enough?  I like to use artist oil paints heavily thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners over an acrylic gloss coat. This works well for me even when the panel lines get partially filled in.  Admittedly if the panel line is completely filled you may want to go with using a very fine pencil line drawn in after you shoot your first matt coats.  Then sealed in with a light matt coat.  Using a very sharp coloured pencil you can get some very nice results but it is a lot of work and handling the model becomes a problem.  If you want, post a picture of your troublesome area.  That may help the problem solving. IHTH :) 

Dan,

My gloss coat is Tamiya acrylic clear and I'm using Mig panel line wash. I did try thinning it a bit more and that helped quite a bit. It flows better but still not great. I think I just over did it with the color coats. It's a lesson learned and it still looks decent. The next one will be better.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:46 PM, AlbertD said:

Just wanted to say hello. I've just been lurking for a while and learning what I could. I'm just getting back to modeling after many years away and plenty has changed. I recently retired but a couple of years before I did I started getting ready by building a stash of kits. Most of it is in 1/48 but I picked up a few WNW kits and a couple of 1/32 Tamiya kits. I have the P-51D and the F-4C along with some after market goodies. I'm working on my first build since coming back to modeling and I can see I have some learning to do before I get started on a nicer and more expensive kit. I'm sure enjoying it though. 

I was thinking of picking up 2 or 3 more 1/32 kits but I don't know much about all the new to me company's out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know Tamiya kits usually build well but there selection is kind of limited.

I hope you guys don't mind if I jump on a couple of threads now and then with beginner questions. I'm still learning about preshading and black basing and things like that. 

I would go straight for the various 1/32 Tamiya super kits.  Sounds like you already have one in the P-51.  But this is their series of spitfires, the 2 Japanese zeros, the Mosquito, and the corsairs.

They are about as good as it gets in 1/32 aircraft modeling IMO so if any of those really interest you beyond the P-51 you already have, go with those.

I would also recommend WNW but again you said you have some!  

So start building!

1 minute ago, ringleheim said:

I would go straight for the various 1/32 Tamiya super kits.  Sounds like you already have one in the P-51.  But this is their series of spitfires, the 2 Japanese zeros, the Mosquito, and the corsairs.

They are about as good as it gets in 1/32 aircraft modeling IMO so if any of those really interest you beyond the P-51 you already have, go with those.

I would also recommend WNW but again you said you have some!  

So start building!

Yes, I have the Tamiya P-51 and also the F-4c 1/32 Tamiya kit. The Corsair is on my list for sure.