Gazzas

Life without the "like" button.

I took a trip out to ARC (aircraft resource center) and discovered to my horror that they didn't have a like button.  Have I become so lazy that I can't enjoy a forum without a "like" button?  Am I too slothful to drop a "nice job" comment? 

I can't even remember what I did here before we had a like button.  Was I even a member here before the like button?

Anyway...just a thought... 

Gaz

I used to think the "like" button was a bit gratuitous, and its use a bit lazy. But now that I have even less time than ever before (how is that even possible?), I find I use it all the time, just to let people know that I noticed their work, and liked their progress. I comment when I can, but it's far less than I used to, so the "like" button is a functional bit of shorthand for it now.

Kev

Agreed, I think it is a way to let the poster know you enjoyed what they said or did, if you dont have time to comment. And lets face it, there is a LOT of stuff to comment on here, so it really becomes impossible to drop every comment you want to. 

I too tend to rely on the like button fairly frequently, and for some of the reasons already stated. The car modeling forum where I'm a member, has no like button, and I actually find that rather frustrating.

i personally dislike the like button:D, if i admire a build or notice a great thread, i make a kind comment and say thanks 

(dont start me about facebook and instagram, the are amazing tools, but some of the **** thats goes on is incredible)

Let see how many likes i get with this post.....go on i dare you:D

2 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

What I don't understand is when people post about something bad that happened and people like it. Are you liking that something bad happened?

I think people just use it as a default acknowledgement, even though there are other emoji options available that might be more suitable. In other words, it's not so much about liking something, as it is about acknowledging it.

Kev

i like the fact that there are different options when going for the like eg sad, confused, thanks etc

it is probably a good thing for the forum that the emojis don't stay in a permanent box somewhere though!

I know...  Sometimes you're short of time.  Sometimes the words don't come.  Sometimes you're feeling asocial but you recognize something you like that you see.  Or, as happens here, you've said "wow", "nice",  "amazed", "stunned" until you've run out of ways say it...  we've all seen that particular thread...  All valid reasons for using the like button.

But you wouldn't want the full range of emoji.  Like once on Facebook, I accidentally clicked on the laughter emoji when I wanted the "wow" emoji.  Thankfully I discovered my error before anyone said anything about it.  Hopefully the guy who did the build blog never saw it either.

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I think people just use it as a default acknowledgement, even though there are other emoji options available that might be more suitable. In other words, it's not so much about liking something, as it is about acknowledging it.

Kev

Well, at least here we have a 'sad' emoticon.

10 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

I don't like the 'like' button......it makes people lazy.

In a way yes, I can see that. However, in my personal situation being a mod, Im on a lot, and tend to peruse over things I may or may not have interest in individually,, and overall this pushes up my post views on a daily basis. That being said, I would prefer to comment on every thread, comment and post I like, but that is just not physically possible.  For me, this is where the like button plays a role. 

It all depends on the situation for me, if someone has spent a lot of time writing out a post and attaching photos the Like button to me is not appropriate for the effort that has been put into making the post interesting and informative. For the "general" type of posts I find it acceptable as generally a comment isn't required.

Cheers

Dennis