Sign in to follow this  
Aircav1980

Photo hosting

I have been a member of LSP for several years now and when I started photobucket did photo hosting for free. Since they started charging I have stopped posting images but have just completed a F-4J build and would like to share it. I sometimes go a long time without posting anything due to other obligations in my life so the $4 a month they ask seems a little steep. I went to image shack like was suggested in the LSP forum info post. The post said it is $20 a year but when I signed up it asked for $37 a year. It says they will give me the first year for 50% off but I assume it will go up to full price after the first year. Are there any free hosting options that anyone could suggest? I know I just sound cheap but I dont know when I will post again so $20 for posting maybe a maximum of 20 photos per year if that seems to be a little steep. Especially if it goes up to $37 a year after that. Any suggestions?

Do you know scalemates?
It's basically a data base/stash manager but there's a photo upload function, too.
At least that's what I'm using right now.

I use Imageshack and I like it very much.  $30-40 a year doesn't seem steep to me if it's a service you want and one that works as advertised (which it does).  They  have costs, so expecting it for free is really asking a lot.  There's no advertising revenue on Imageshack.

Im using SmugMug. I am currently paying $60-something a year, but as was mentioned they have costs, and as as far as sites and options go SM is about the end all be all for me. I also pay a bit extra because they incorporate my domain/website too, and with no adds, and unlimited everything (DLing, Uploading, # of pics, size of pics, movies ect, ect) its way WAY worth the price for me.   Ive personally spent WAY more than $60 something a year to get WAY less than Im getting with SM.   Their look and ability to customize their site to your own needs cant be beat IMHO.   

I think its all down to what you use it for, and how much you use it. I use mine all the time, but I do a lot of pic hosting, uploading, WIPs, RFIs, customer build pictures ect, ect, but for someone who only uploads the occasional pic, a free option might be better. 

I use Imageshack.

It's OK - no automatic upload facility, no apps, bit basic - but it works.

As for the costs - we've been spoiled over the years, as companies like Photobucket were running at a loss, hoping to recoup money via advertising. 

That business model is dead, so you have to be prepared to pay something, and $37 a year seems perfectly reasonable to me.Pay the $20 for the first year, then cancel for the next year, they may offer you another discount to stay.

I was unaware that IS might be raising their rates. I've been paying $20/year for the last two years and have been very satisfied. If they do indeed double the rate, I may look into other options.

Been using Imgur for a couple of years now.. had one slight hiccup... communication with them was fast & helpful, resolved the issue within a 48 hr period.

It's free and easy to use. I only use it for my model stuff so no need for a lot. It works for me.