1/32 HPH Models AC-47 'Spooky' Gunship

Crossofiron

Hi all,

Apologies for messing you about, those that were following my other 1/32 C-37 Thread.

I also thank you for your comments of support!

So I didn't move on to something else, just did loads of research and a fair amount of designing;

So, after mush deliberation and horror at cutting up a very expensive kit, I bit the bullet and went for it...

The Subject will be the following;

AC-47D 43-49010 , 4th SOS (432 TRW), Udorn AB, 1967

a80bfff8-a24e-4271-bed1-9997e12c5ed2.jpg

resized_012ce345-e8be-4958-b2e7-bfa3ba46

The first thing I did was design the Photo-Etching I needed for the Project;

cc7c7d4a-0483-4d36-8c8d-97ffce055a55.jpg

Please note the Panel Seams, I will explain this later.

Then, to the horrible bit;

094fe789-df1d-4e70-8c15-12a53a16c1c3.jpg

Thanks to Anthony in NZ for the hint on the Hamburger Door, it has made quite the difference.

Has anyone got an idea for the steps on for this door?

So, now onto decking out the cabin!!!

Thanks for looking

Steve

I know the feeling Steve:

2 hours ago, Crossofiron said:

cutting up a very expensive kit

But it's the only way to bring out all of HPH's gorgeous details!

I'm very much looking forward to following your 'Spooky' build!

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Thanks for the update on what you are up to with your build.  I cant imagine the stress of cutting up the fuselage, but you (like Kent) have done a great job, good openings position

I am still considering making mine a VXE-6 Ski Dak...this might inspire me to do that!

It appears that the cutout for the rear landing gear does not line up perfectly on my example.  That is the only issue I have seen so far.  It appears they have taken some thought into the overall seam of the fuselage so this may not be a big issue once the hole is properly placed and sized. 

Hi Nichenson,

Yeah, I know what you mean, although the rear landing gear lines up on mine, the top vision dome (hope I got that right) on mine is way off by about 2mm.

It's clear to me that HPH take the big bits off somewhere and have them machined.

If you mix up the fuselage halves after machining, the mix-match occurs.

Close inspection of the windows shows that these are misaligned also, especially when the frames go in.

I will put photos on soon...

I am going to overcome mine with some photo-etch.

If you want to PM me, I will see if I can help you.

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

Latest picture;

f902345b-39b4-41b3-b9e3-d89eb811b30f.jpg

Now, I will be honest, this is 5 evenings of work and there are 20 parts here!

Every part needs trimming to within an inch of their lives and they are soooo delicate.

Worked it out and I reckon it is year long build if you dedicate all your evenings to it.

This one is going to be a very long Project I think and I yern for good old polystyrene.

So, this post/build is going to take long time and I will come back to this, maybe on Sunday afternoons when I feel I need to be punished ;)

Will keep up with it though,...

Cheers

Steve

Looking good!!

9 hours ago, Crossofiron said:

This one is going to be a very long Project I think and I yern for good old polystyrene.

Dont beat yourself up over that too much............

I have a stellar record of completions in group builds, and a better than average record of completions in WIPs here, as well as completion of the occasional commission build on top of that.   But Im 0 for 2 finishing the HpH kits I've started. :(

They are exceptionally detailed, and come with most everything you would need or want detail wise................but the resin, and its constant need of adjustment, along with consistent trimming and removing of pour blocks really saps the modeling will, and very few take full complex HpH kits to fruition all in one bout.