1/32 AIM-120 AMRAAM

Zactoman

Now available!
https://zactomodels.com/

First, a big thanks to Jim Rotramel for helping with references!

AMRAAMs_1200_zpsyjf5kg0p.jpg

Two versions are available, the early AIM-120A/B versions and the newer clipped wing AIM-120C.

Both versions include separate nosecones and exhaust section to convert your missiles to CATM versions (Captive Air Training Missile).

Body_parts_zpse6uhfxfh.jpg

The main body as supplied has the live version of the nosecone molded-in and just the exhaust cone as a separate part. The CATM versions do require cutting and replacing the front and rear sections.

Rears_zpsqjdsoeca.jpg

Nosecones_zpsojeskvdm.jpg

The CATM type nosecone is occasionally seen on live missiles so check your references.

Note the left wing AIM-120C in this pic has the CATM type nose while the right AIM-120A/B is the standard live nose:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/99576/M/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-16C-Fighting-Falcon/89-2029/

I still don't know the explanation for that so if any of you know please chime in.

Edited by Zactoman
Fixed link to F-16 pic

The fins are very thin and knife edged (just like the real deal). Don't make the mistake of leaving your assembled missiles sitting on thier fins or the tips will evetually bend and warp (especially true on the pontiy tipped fins of the A/B version)! Instead support your finished missiles with the fins elevated until you are ready to mount them to your model.

Fins_zpskmvn3h5o.jpg

Parts are designed to make removing the fins from the casting blocks an easy task. The rear fins require that you first clip the mounting post sprue. Then a light score with an X-acto and rock them back and forth. A quick clean-up of the mating surface with a fine file or sandpaper and you're ready to go.

Mounting brackets will need to be adjusted to fit the pylons you are mounting them on. I'm surprised at how far off some of the kit provided pylons are. AFAIK there aren't any accurate ones out there yet.

Mid_zpsjy11cexm.jpg

Packaging is designed to reduce the chance of fin warpage. If you do encouter warps, a quick dip in hot water or blast with a hairdryer will allow you to straighten them.

Packaging_zpshjuugx9e.jpg

Decals are not included but Two-Bobs decals offer a set in case the kit you are using these on does not provide decals. http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p319.html

For those that missed it, during development I was posting some pics on ARC with comparison pics to other offerings:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/306361-132-aim-120/

I'd invite you to add pics of the other brands of AMRAAMs there as well. I'm most curious to see the new releases from Eduard and the missiles included in the new Revell F-18E kit.

:beer4:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 6:08 PM, Zactoman said:

Thanks guys :beer4:

Some inspiration...

FA-18_Hornet_VX-4_with_10_AMRAAM.jpg

message-editor%252F1529957961706-sa2bell

1427441622976745031.png

1427441622857100359.jpg

:thumbsup:

That top image of the Hornet- the pilot is a friend of mine. The photo was taken when he was at VX9- he said the jet was a pig with this load-  His callsign is “Swag”. He eventually ended up in the Wisconsin Air Guard Flying a better jet :)

cheers

pete

Thanks for all the nice feedback guys :beer:

10 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

- he said the jet was a pig with this load-

I'm curious about how the F-15X missile truck will perform when carrying 22 of them?

I'm not even sure where/how it can carry 22.

In the pics there are 4 dual adapters below the FAST packs, that gives you 8, quad mounts on the inner wing, that gives you 16, dual mounts outboard that give you 20.

Where will they mount the other 2?

FAST packs? Silent Eagle concepts had 2 retractable launchers per side but they look like they'd interfere with the other mounts.

Centerline? I figure they could mount 4 there using dual mounts, giving us 24!

How many Eagles can a tanker feed at one time?

Can they launch a volley while attached to the tanker or is that frowned upon? :D

:beer4:

• 3 months later...