Sign in to follow this  
Stevepd

Info in US military using DOOM in the 90’s

Hi folks,

my my son is a qualified forensic scientist and he’s currently doing a post-graduate course in Balistics, coming towards the end. He’s aware the US military dabbled with the game DOOM in the 90’s, in that dipping their toe into early stages of virtual reality soldier training. 

Has as anybody in their circles got any info or preferably link he could read for referencing on the DOOM experiment.

Steve.

I don't have any info (fortunately) and wasn't surprised to hear some military "agency" would have been dabbling with this f%$#$@ game, but at the time this game "came into town" it was the "dawn" of this kind of entertainment, and at that moment i swore to myself i (and lateron my kids) would NEVER touch it.........you figure out why!!!!!

What an odd reply.

I tried to Goog' some stuff and couldn't find much beyond a short synopsis on Wikipedia about the Marines running a mod for DOOM that emphasized teamwork and other skills as a way of working on decision-making during times that live-training wasn't available or time itself was limited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Doom

I do remember America's Army, but I never played it as I was already heavily into the Battlefield games by then. Never played DOOM, either, but that's only because endless-wave-of-bigger-and-bigger-beasts games don't really interest me. I know enough to see how the military was able to exploit it for simulation training.

Good luck with the search.

You call it "an odd reply", i call it the beginning of a certain way of entertainment that has been going on and on as "a matter of fact" to use a game feature as something to have your skills sharpened on something that in reality NOBODY would ever like to experience.........think about that!!!

I remember an article at the time about the US Army using Doom. They set up teams on a network, set it up so each soldier had only one life, then used the game for teaching them teamwork in urban area combat. Since then they have developed their own software I believe but it cost way more than Doom! I can't remember where I read that; might have been an old PC Gamer mag, or similar mag back in the early 90's?

6 hours ago, Jack said:

You call it "an odd reply", i call it the beginning of a certain way of entertainment that has been going on and on as "a matter of fact" to use a game feature as something to have your skills sharpened on something that in reality NOBODY would ever like to experience.........think about that!!!

So I guess you wouldn't play any military flight simulators either then?

15 hours ago, Jack said:

I suspect most of these games are primarily recruiting tools. Especially Call Of Duty...which my youngest daughter played with her friends until they discovered Fortnite.

I'll refrain from linking to info from various searches of US Military Industrial Complex and video gaming as it gets more political in nature...not really LSP content. How involved the military is in gaming seems fairly controversial.

When I did full time service on a base we used to all play CounterStrike on a LAN in large teams. It was an absolute hoot. I have trained on a legit military video system that uses our various small arms shooting laser rounds on a screen that can detect data from the gun and the round. Recoil via compressed gas. It was mainly for target practice (training for smooth trigger pull, less barrel movement, aim points etc) but there were a few scenarios that could be programmed into it. I had fun with a MAG58 GPMG one night...unlimited ammo...it was ridiculous but we all had fun.

Matty

12 hours ago, vince14 said:

So I guess you wouldn't play any military flight simulators either then?

correct, never did, never will, though i was in the airforce for about 6 years in the past, doing airtraffic control and continued this in civillian life

21 hours ago, Jack said:

What an odd reply. 

Couple of odd replies in this thread, especially considering this forum is all about building military aeroplane models.

Nobody should suggest that Large Scale Planes is exclusively military, since there are plenty of Air Racers and even airliners that happen to be made in 1/32 or larger scale. I guess a 747 might be a bit too big for most of our display areas, but the DC-3 and Ju-52 did a lot of "non-military" work and had some fascinating color schemes as airliners. I may be "odd" but I like all of the airplanes and add to them spacecraft and X-Planes, no matter where they come from.

As for video games being a mechanism for systematic desensitization to the results of military confrontation... that seems rather obvious. They are also well suited to creating a complete disregard for actual physical phenomenon... like making us think that auto collisions don't really hurt, or that cars can jump 200 feet and keep on rolling with minor damage. Pain when you do something unwise serves a useful purpose. Just make sure it is a lot less than "just a flesh wound" and not something major and then learn from it.

Tnarg

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

Couple of odd replies in this thread, especially considering this forum is all about building military aeroplane models.

No, it’s not.  

I didn't 'discover' Doom until just a few years ago.  What a hoot!  Me or the missus would play a segment as a sort of competition.  I sucked at it.  Eventually we finished all of it's games.

What a great way to waste time.  Much more fun than I had as a bored farmboy with a pocket knife and a piece of pine.

Gaz

2 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Then what is the non-LSP section for?