1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc?

AlanG

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

For many people, the Tamiya kits are not an option. Not everybody can afford £100 kits, and that's not anything related to quality, it's simply down to cost.

My point exactly. Just to clarify a few things.

I am on a minimum wage job with VERY little disposable income after the bills are paid. What i do have is saved up over an extended period of time. So just going out and buying a £100 kit is just not going to happen unless i sell some of my existing kits (which i don't want to do as they are all planned for).

Secondly i asked about the Revell kit(s). Not Tamiya. I know (we all know) Tamiya is the better kit. That stands to reason. But for the reasons above i cannot afford them (yet). So this is why i asked the question, is the Revell kit a good kit to build etc. Revell have a pricing structure that i can manage with a little bit of saving.

Hope that clears a few things up guys. 

Thanks to everyone that has given me details on the Revell Spitfire IXc. I think it's worth a punt especially at £19.99 delivered. So as said in previous replies i shall put it on the 'to buy' list....... it's a VERY long list lol

Edited by AlanG

The wheels of the Revell kit are also a week point but fortunately there are many cheap alternatives. Otherwise the kit is quite good. The remark about the radiator is valid but this is not that difficult to correct with some clever cuts, plastic bending, some bits of plastic strip and CA glue. 

Absolutely go for the Revell Spit.

If you want it, there is some good AM "corrections" and enhancements, but that is a matter of choice. I would recommend anything from Barracudacast, having used it.

8 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Actually, no.  You don't "need' anything additional past what comes in the kit other than paint and glue.  One has, however, the option to add all those other things if one so chooses.  They are, however,  by no means something that is required to finish the model.  Just the view from my little corner of the planet, YMMV.

Of course, you can make kit from box, with no additional stuff, but you need good tools, paints, brushes, fine airbrush, oil washes etc, all of this generates costs, which aren't low. 

If you want to spend time not effing and blinding but with pleasure you need to often reach for the wallet, unfortunately. Modelling isn't cheap but what hobby is?

Edited by shadowmare

On 5/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, Kagemusha said:

I, sad to say, hated it, put it on ebay almost as soon as I got it, the rivet detail, for me, is appalling, all they had to do was replicate the Tamiya kit wouldn't have cost more, instead it looks like the worst of Trumpeter kits. 

Get the Mustang.

What he said

their P-51 is a great kit, whilst their Spitfire IX is not

the MkII fair enough - it’s really the only game in town so take it or leave it - but not the case with the IX

3 hours ago, shadowmare said:

Of course, you can make kit from box, with no additional stuff, but you need good tools, paints, brushes, fine airbrush, oil washes etc, all of this generates costs, which aren't low. 

If you want to spend time not effing and blinding but with pleasure you need to often reach for the wallet, unfortunately. Modelling isn't cheap but what hobby is?

Well, my assumption was that the builder already had basic required tools and supplies.  These items are what one might consider "infrastructure", in that they are needed to build kits in general and not something that has to be purchased for each kit - unless, of course, this happens to be one's first kit.  

But again, one does not "need" an airbrush, oil washes, etc.  Yes, an airbrush makes it easier to get a nice finish,  and some like the effect that oil washes give, they are by no means a requirement.  They are a finishing technique that one may choose to employ or not, depending on their preferences.  Not everyone builds exactly the same as anyone else, so what one considers essential ("needed") may be completely irrelevant to someone else.

And "spending time not effing and blinding but with pleasure" (sorry I'm not familiar with the meaning of "effing and blinding", please explain) is kind of an individual's preference as well.  What you might consider "effing and blinding (making a bit of an assumption as to what you mean), someone else may find very enjoyable.  

I think that our disscussion leads nowhere :) Yes, modellers aren't same but i think that everyone appreciate good kits,  which number isn't high on market. I have made few kits:

http://air-workshop.blogspot.com/

and i think that not every manufacturer takes modeller seriously, and some kits (many...) aren't worth amount of work which is needed to finish it, but as you said some may find fun in this.

If you will have to lose many hours of work with bad tools,  on bad kits, making in same time few tamiya kits (which additionaly represents real object with no major errors), I really think that high price will pay for itself. I don't forbid you to think otherwise :)

I don’t have the Revell kit but I saw your post that budget is a deciding factor.  The Revell kit is a great value.  You can find something wrong with every kit made.  With the tamiya kit you need to replace the rubber tires, it needs seatbelts and could use a couple minor bits in the cockpit from Baracuda studios.

The Revell kit is massively better than any other option short of the Tamiya kit.  I would buy it without hesitation other than I might personally prefer their Mk II just because I have built a couple MK IX’s(albeit Tamiya).  

The kit is in your budget, I recommend not overthinking this and just jumping on it build and enjoy.  Sometimes we worry too much about rivets and accuracy instead of building models and enjoying it.  

I was looking at a debate  on an armor site the other day regarding accuracy of the bolts on the inner turret ring of a panther G kit.  The debates we have sometimes border on the absurd.  The Revell kit should be a nice enjoyable build.  Our biggest fault is thinking too much.  Better to focus on building a really nice model, seal the gaps, put a great finish on it and make something that looks great on your shelf.

Above all don’t ask for our validation of what you want to build.  You don’t need it.  Most models newly released and engineered today are massively better than what was released and engineered 30 years ago.  There may be exceptions but the new Revell kits are not among them.  They are perfectly good entries into the market.

Edited by cbk57

4 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

And "spending time not effing and blinding but with pleasure" (sorry I'm not familiar with the meaning of "effing and blinding", please explain) is kind of an individual's preference as well.  What you might consider "effing and blinding (making a bit of an assumption as to what you mean), someone else may find very enjoyable.  

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/effing_and_blinding

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The Revell kit is massively better than any other option short of the Tamiya kit.  I would buy it without hesitation other than I might personally prefer their Mk II...

The kit is in your budget, I recommend not overthinking this and just jumping on it build and enjoy...  The Revell kit should be a nice enjoyable build.  Our biggest fault is thinking too much.  Better to focus on building a really nice model, seal the gaps, put a great finish on it and make something that looks great on your shelf.

Agree. This thread is making my brain hurt. 

The main thing to watch is wing dihedral, which there almost isn't on the Revell. 

Rivet-divots? That's what Sqn Signal filler is great for - just be sure you don't get high spreading it over offending pock marks.

Tony

Edited by Tony T
to activate link, which always, on LSP at least, seem to require an edit to nudge into action

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

With the tamiya kit you need to replace the rubber tires, it needs seatbelts and could use a couple minor bits in the cockpit from Baracuda studios.

It also has a lot of extraneous complexity if one is not interested in displaying an exposed engine or the like.

8 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I don’t have the Revell kit but I saw your post that budget is a deciding factor.  The Revell kit is a great value.  You can find something wrong with every kit made.  With the tamiya kit you need to replace the rubber tires, it needs seatbelts and could use a couple minor bits in the cockpit from Baracuda studios.

The Revell kit is massively better than any other option short of the Tamiya kit.  I would buy it without hesitation other than I might personally prefer their Mk II just because I have built a couple MK IX’s(albeit Tamiya).  

The kit is in your budget, I recommend not overthinking this and just jumping on it build and enjoy.  Sometimes we worry too much about rivets and accuracy instead of building models and enjoying it.  

I was looking at a debate  on an armor site the other day regarding accuracy of the bolts on the inner turret ring of a panther G kit.  The debates we have sometimes border on the absurd.  The Revell kit should be a nice enjoyable build.  Our biggest fault is thinking too much.  Better to focus on building a really nice model, seal the gaps, put a great finish on it and make something that looks great on your shelf.

Above all don’t ask for our validation of what you want to build.  You don’t need it.  Most models newly released and engineered today are massively better than what was released and engineered 30 years ago.  There may be exceptions but the new Revell kits are not among them.  They are perfectly good entries into the market.

Well said!

17 hours ago, shadowmare said:

One man's dollar is another man's dime

33G1kpC.jpg

12 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Our biggest fault is thinking too much.

MY biggest fault is sitting on my arse watching the boobtoob

when I should be making progress on my latest masterpiece.

uPBZvkX.jpg?1

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

One man's dollar is another man's dime

33G1kpC.jpg

uPBZvkX.jpg?1

That's my biggest modelling sin too!

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

uPBZvkX.jpg?1

Pardon my ignorance (I'm German) but what's a boobtoob - sounds interesting :rolleyes:

Lothar

14 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Pardon my ignorance (I'm German) but what's a boobtoob - sounds interesting :rolleyes:

No ignorance there my friend...............we tend to butcher the English language, so its a wonder anyone knows what we are talking about at all

boobtoob = Television (a nod to the old school TVs with internal tubes and what not)