TF-104 / F-104D Help!

Out2gtcha

Well boys im in with a start on my F-104D project with a fully lighting setup.  However, Im in the midst of trying to determine what best power supply to use (any shape X4 AA battery holder ends up being far too large) so Im trying to find a replacement power source (hopefully 9v). While this was going on, I started sorting out the lighting setup and where each nano-lead LED was to go.

The lighting kit is pretty much plug-N-play, but there are some caveats to it. One is that even though this kit is specifically for the 104, there are some things you really have to figure out for yourself. One of those caveats is the cockpit lighting. The instructions tell you to drill small holes in the appropriate places on the consols, then move one of the micro leads under that console to see the suitable light shine through the holes. You are then instructed to fill with the UV gel to simulate a light bulb then paint.     

I think this will actually work out from the tests I've done, but my issue is that I cant find any detailed pics of what TF-104 or preferably F-104D cockpit looks like at night!  Actually Id really take any detailed pics of F-104D / TF-104D cockpit pics that show where the lighted bits would be. Google has NOT been my friend on this one. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

What is the actual power requirement of the set? 4x AA cells = 6 volts, but you mention preferring 9 volts? It would also help to know what the lighting set's amp draw is. 

There are plenty of 'wall wart' type power supplies available that plug into standard 115 volt AC outlets. It is a fairly simple matter of choosing the voltage required, and selecting an amp rating in excess of the set's requirements. 

If a plug-in AC power supply is not desired, there are batteries smaller than AA such as AAA and N in both alkaline and rechargeable types. Battery holders for them are also available. 

D

I probably went a bit too deep into the power supply thing.

The MSM instructions specifically say anything from 5 - 10 volts will power the unit, it will just make the lights less or more bright respectively. The instructions also implicitly say a 9v battery will work, so its probably the way I'll go if they indicate there are no caveats to powering it with a 9v VS 4 AAs.

That was really just a lead in to the real problem, which is not having any good pics of the the TF-104 / F-104D cockpit in the dark.

ATM, I really have no idea what details are knobs or lights so no idea where to drill the holes on the side consoles to represent the console lights.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

The MSM instructions specifically say anything from 5 - 10 volts will power the unit, it just will just make the lights less or more bright respectively.

There are adjustable power supplies, too. I got one for less than $10 that goes from 3 volts to 24 volts DC in 3 volt increments.

Not sure about the cockpit lighting. One would think that everything is back-lit much like cars of the era (late '50s - early '60s). Seems like a lot of work to go with acetate 'sandwich' gauges, but decals might not be opaque or durable enough. And then there are the side consoles... 

D

16 minutes ago, Finn said:

Thanks Jari! 

Although not color that does give me a REALLY good idea of things. It looks like there are of course spot and flood lights, but it also appears there are some "indicator" lights on both the front and rear console panels.    That's what I've been looking for! 

I dont think the Italeri dash panels are supremely accurate, but thats Ok, as the canopies will be closed, and there will be pilots in both positions, so the focus on this build will be on the lighting and overall scheme/look, and will not be on 100% accuracy in the cockpits.  I will probably end up fudging the console lighting a bit. 

Thanks again! 

On 5/11/2019 at 1:16 AM, DannyVM said:

Brian, here's a photo from the DACO book, maybe not a F-104D, but it will get nearly close to one i think.

qII418al.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Thanks SO much Danny! That is precisely what I needed. It will allow me to forge ahead and not really have to put the lights under the side consoles, but now with a color picture at night like that one, I know where to mount them above the consoles and how and where the lights should be shining. I have a separate plan for the IPs.

Thanks again!