1/35 Academy AH-1Z Decal and paint problem

Durangokid

Just wanted to give everyone who is going to build this a heads up that the stencil decals for the main body appear to be too light.  I used MPP 36375 as the instructions call for and it's not even close, the decals are lighter than the paint!  The MPR color could be a tad dark but really that's not the issue, the decals are either the wrong color, too opaque or a combination of both.  Also  note that according to Dave Roof the top paint color call out is wrong and should be 35237.  That is what I used on mine since 36320 wasn't even close and I remember it was the color I used on my KH AH-1Z.

This is a real bummer, not really sure where to go from here.  I do have Dave's Zulu decals on preorder so I'll probably wait until then.  I think he said he was including enough stencils for two birds so that will really help... You guys might want to use that option too.

Here is how it looks...

pnAbIh9Oj

pn2MrCPGj

Here is how they look on the Kitty Hawk... Note: These are Werner's Wings decals

plB2x1A3j

pljDM5dKj

The kit is fantastic but the decals SUCK!

Bryan

On 5/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, Durangokid said:

I thought I saw  that Werner's Wings had decals in 35th scale but I couldn't find them on his site.  Anyone have the scoop on this?

Send him an email. They are not on his website. I should get mine next week...

On 5/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, Durangokid said:

Just wanted to give everyone who is going to build this a heads up that the stencil decals for the main body appear to be too light.  I used MPP 36375 as the instructions call for and it's not even close, the decals are lighter than the paint!  The MPR color could be a tad dark but really that's not the issue, the decals are either the wrong color, too opaque or a combination of both.  Also  note that according to Dave Roof the top paint color call out is wrong and should be 35237.  That is what I used on mine since 36320 wasn't even close and I remember it was the color I used on my KH AH-1Z.

This is a real bummer, not really sure where to go from here.  I do have Dave's Zulu decals on preorder so I'll probably wait until then.  I think he said he was including enough stencils for two birds so that will really help... You guys might want to use that option too.

Here is how it looks...

pnAbIh9Oj

pn2MrCPGj

Here is how they look on the Kitty Hawk... Note: These are Werner's Wings decals

plB2x1A3j

pljDM5dKj

The kit is fantastic but the decals SUCK!

Bryan

Looks great, unfortunate for the decal issue.  Where did u order Dave’s Zulu decals for preorder ?

On 5/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, Out2gtcha said:

What kit/decals were those WW decals for Ben?

For the Academy Zulu! I will also get the Flying Leathernecks sheet as I prefer the markings offered by Dave, but I need to make progress on my kit once I have a replacement part for my cracked windshield... 

5 hours ago, Starfighter said:

For the Academy Zulu! I will also get the Flying Leathernecks sheet as I prefer the markings offered by Dave, but I need to make progress on my kit once I have a replacement part for my cracked windshield... 

Ah I only ask, as the only AH-1Z WW decals I knew about, were those for the KHM 1/48th kit.